2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fragile buyer beware
By vimba on 05/24/14 16:22 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

My 2nd 5 series in 7years; This car is fun to drive,power and performance cant be matched, but it comes at heavy price. Oil leaks,check engine signs,transmission glitch all expensive repairs occurring before 100k. All repairs average $1200, because of the name BMW.

Im depressed
By wjja47 on 11/05/12 10:03 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The Ultimate Driving Machine sucks in terms of reliability. I bought my first and last BMW 3.5 years ago while it was still under their their Warranty/Maintenance plan. However, I have had leak after leak before and after the warranty expired. I think I have replaced the whole cooling system and oil system. Every day before I drive my car, I have to check the undercarriage plate to see if I got another coolant or oil leak. Plus the "engine malfunction, increased emissions" light always come on and the engine start shaking and its always caused by a different part. Do not buy unless you plan to buy several extended warranties and pray the parts are covered.

Fun to drive, not without issues
By fango2 on 02/06/12 19:27 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought mine in 2008 with 28K miles. I sold my 2003 325i to get this car. Just like the 3 series, I LOVE the way this car drives. The power, acceleration and steering are incredible. It's super smooth at high speeds - you just don't know you're speeding! After about 50K miles I was experiencing jerkiness in the transmission. Sometimes at a stop the engine would race and I'd have to shove my foot on the brake. I mentioned it several times to my dealer and finally, at 99K miles (I had the extended warranty) I asked to have a mechanic ride with me and I got a new transmission :) Cupholders suck; don't like the iDrive and interior is so-so, but I still like the car!

Buyer Beware!!
By musicman9 on 01/20/11 08:26 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had 3 cars sitting in my garage, one was a BMW 545i (2005) one is a GMC Envoy (2002) and the other is a Toyota Tacoma Truck (1996) The BMW continued to leak oil all over the garage until I finally sold it. The Envoy and the Tacoma have about 200,000 miles each and I doubt that I have even spent $500 combined on the 2 of these cars since I have owned them. The BMW has been nothing but problems with every maintenance bill being at least $1,000. Just a battery alone for the car is almost $500! The car was the best driving car I have ever owned but reliability was the worst of any of the 20 cars I have owned since I first started driving. I traded it recently for a Toyota!

Automatic Transmission Issues
By panthersb on 01/08/11 08:22 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

In all, the 545i is a well-balanced rig -- amazingly fast and agile for a car of its size and comfort. My car has been plagued with electrical issues however, and a glitch with the transmission is enough to force me to replace it. When driving under slight power between 35 and 40 mph, the car feels as if there is a disruption in the fuel delivery or ignition. When I first demonstrated this to the dealer, a tech said it was the transmission, it was normal, and by shifting it to sport mode I could eliminate the issue. Unacceptable, in my opinion. This isn't "normal" behavior for any car, and I don't want to drive in sport mode to fix a transmission malfunction. Major buzz kill.

CCC Problem
By black545 on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great car but there is a issue with the CCC aka iDrive. I had one go out under warranty at about 40,000 and now again it went out at 79,000 but this time I have to pay and it costs $1600 to replace. I have the certified pre- owned warranty which the dealership that I bought from said was bumper to bumper (the salesman lied) and now I have to suffer the consequences. Also the brakes squeal even though they do not need to be replaced. The rear tires wear fast because in the sports suspension, the wheels are slightly inward on purpose for handling so you will have to change tires frequently. Do not recommend if you don't have a lot of money to pay for service.

Brake Booster failure with 53K miles
By Steffi on 04/02/10 16:12 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I am very disappointed to drive with a supposedly quality build car just to figure out it started to fail breaking while waiting in the car line to pick up my children. Unbelievable, I needed a full replacement of the brake booster and the brake Master cylinder after only 52K miles. Good luck to all of you driving this car which almost became a liability for me. That will be my first and last BMW ever.

Stay away from 545i
By Robert on 12/19/09 23:55 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great handling but there it ends. One of the most unreliable cars I've owned (and I've had Italian cars!). Some of the problems the dealer has been unable to fix because they are fundamentally flawed: radio (because of terrible computer in the car), transmission shifts. If you need to find it, look in the shop.

Great car... very fun to drive.
By Balsar on 07/13/09 08:17 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased this vehicle with 9,500 miles on the Odometer. It has been an incredible car. Fast, reliable, comfortable and economical. I drive very aggressive yet still average 23mpg overall in LA's bumper to bumper traffic...amazing mileage! We also own a 06 330xi...also a great car - a lot more nimble than the 5 series when driving twisty roads...but the 545I can easily keep just using the extra power.

I Love Going Fast
By Slicrazy06 on 03/26/09 08:38 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The 2005 BMW styling is great. All avid 5 series owners fall in love with it sooner or later. My favorite aspect of the car is its reliability, I've had to fix nothing! Pretty fast with the V8, does 0-60 in 5.5 sec and is wonderfully smooth through the transitions. Great fuel economy for a V8 at 18 city and 26 hwy The sports suspension with active steering does wonders and the interior is really well done. BMW continues to be a leader in the auto industry.