Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Fragile buyer beware
By vimba

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

My 2nd 5 series in 7years; This car is fun to drive,power and performance cant be matched, but it comes at heavy price. Oil leaks,check engine signs,transmission glitch all expensive repairs occurring before 100k. All repairs average $1200, because of the name BMW.

Favorite Features

power,idrive,speed,and Bluetooth.

Suggested Improvements

engine design,transmission,interior quality its a bmw it has to good quality.

Im depressed
By wjja47

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The Ultimate Driving Machine sucks in terms of reliability. I bought my first and last BMW 3.5 years ago while it was still under their their Warranty/Maintenance plan. However, I have had leak after leak before and after the warranty expired. I think I have replaced the whole cooling system and oil system. Every day before I drive my car, I have to check the undercarriage plate to see if I got another coolant or oil leak. Plus the "engine malfunction, increased emissions" light always come on and the engine start shaking and its always caused by a different part. Do not buy unless you plan to buy several extended warranties and pray the parts are covered.

Favorite Features

I love the sporty design and the interior.

Suggested Improvements

Build a better engine but I does not matter cause this my first and last BMW.

Fun to drive, not without issues
By fango2

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought mine in 2008 with 28K miles. I sold my 2003 325i to get this car. Just like the 3 series, I LOVE the way this car drives. The power, acceleration and steering are incredible. It's super smooth at high speeds - you just don't know you're speeding! After about 50K miles I was experiencing jerkiness in the transmission. Sometimes at a stop the engine would race and I'd have to shove my foot on the brake. I mentioned it several times to my dealer and finally, at 99K miles (I had the extended warranty) I asked to have a mechanic ride with me and I got a new transmission :) Cupholders suck; don't like the iDrive and interior is so-so, but I still like the car!

Favorite Features

Power and acceleration

Buyer Beware!!
By musicman9

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had 3 cars sitting in my garage, one was a BMW 545i (2005) one is a GMC Envoy (2002) and the other is a Toyota Tacoma Truck (1996) The BMW continued to leak oil all over the garage until I finally sold it. The Envoy and the Tacoma have about 200,000 miles each and I doubt that I have even spent $500 combined on the 2 of these cars since I have owned them. The BMW has been nothing but problems with every maintenance bill being at least $1,000. Just a battery alone for the car is almost $500! The car was the best driving car I have ever owned but reliability was the worst of any of the 20 cars I have owned since I first started driving. I traded it recently for a Toyota!

Automatic Transmission Issues
By panthersb

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

In all, the 545i is a well-balanced rig -- amazingly fast and agile for a car of its size and comfort. My car has been plagued with electrical issues however, and a glitch with the transmission is enough to force me to replace it. When driving under slight power between 35 and 40 mph, the car feels as if there is a disruption in the fuel delivery or ignition. When I first demonstrated this to the dealer, a tech said it was the transmission, it was normal, and by shifting it to sport mode I could eliminate the issue. Unacceptable, in my opinion. This isn't "normal" behavior for any car, and I don't want to drive in sport mode to fix a transmission malfunction. Major buzz kill.

Favorite Features

Power and handling; styling (though not for everyone); instrument cluster; nav system.

Suggested Improvements

idrive -- clunky and sometimes slow to respond; automatic transmission, which disrupts the power delivery between 35 and 40 mph; seats are too hard and slippery; closing the trunk lid requires coordination and heft; exhaust note is akin to a Chevy Malibu; iPod connection is cumbersome (located in the glove box).