Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great Car, but not Cheap to maintain
By amg0507

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my car for a few years now and put a good bit of miles on it. I've got 120,000 miles. I've changed the battery, tires, oil, spark plugs, all the regular maintenance and it drives great. But it's a BMW and parts are not cheap. . . it's also not cheap to have someone put them in for you. If you want a car that is Cheaper to keep going, drive a Toyota or a Honda. If you want to enjoy driving your car get a BMW. Previously I've had an Rx-8, MiniCooper Sport, Lexus SC430 and a Honda Accord.

the overall feel for driving and the silence in the interior.

cup holders are horrible. I Drive is not user friendly

Loves it
By paulmiceli

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Owned my 2005 530i for 3 years and never had one problem with it. Drove like a dream and always loved driving it. I put on about 12,000 a year mostly city driving and it performed great. A little tight up front (I'm 6'3) but overall the space inside is good. The interior design is very good the bluetooth always worked great with my phone and IDrive didn't bother me once I got used to it. The cup holders are ok they're not to bad never had a problem with them. The car is also very safe I got into an accident and the car held up great. Just recently sold it with 57,000 miles I upgraded to a 2008 535xi I hope I have the same luck with it !

Handling, gas mileage, performance, exterior design, xenon lights + halos

Better traction in rain, seats that go back further, better quality plastics (all was addressed in 08+ models)

Top of its class!
By RLo

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The car is great, loaded with all the features (premium, sport, cold-weather, navigation, etc) although rather pricey. The car is an absolute joy to drive, and handles like a dream. The performance isn't the greatest, i recommend not getting 530 because the 530i isn't such a great investment. If you want power, just go with the V8, its not much difference the 530 with 525. However, the quality of the car is great, and it is a real head turner. The leather has great quality, as well as the dash, real wood, and other things. What I don't like is the cost to own, but I guess you should expect it since you own a BMW. Also bothers me that everything is optional. (htd. seats, mp3, cd changer, etc)

Fun to drive, head turner, self-satisfying, great quality, prideful.

TOO MANY OPTIONS that should be standard! I mean come on, CD changer? Heated seats? Leather? Most competitors have that standard. Also maintenance stinks on it, tires are expensive and wear fast as well as brakes.

Well, I always wanted one
By PJINCA

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 37th car in my life (more cars than years old) and I always wanted a 5 Series and now I fianlly got one. It is exactly what I wanted performance-wise, powerful, smooth and great handling. I have yet to feel the tranny shift, it is butter smooth. The comfort is excellent, I have both Sport and Premium pkgs and nav. The fit and finish are perfect and the brakes are great. My only complaints? Lack of storage - my cell phone resides on the shelf provided by the nav system. And apparently the computer is skewed, the other day my gas gauge read just under half tank, the computer told me I had 73 miles to empty, yet the fuels light came on and I had to put 17 gals into an 18 gal tank?

Suspension, brakes, engine, seats, and yes the iDrive (I work in IT so technology is something I enjoy), now I get the longing looks that I used to give when I saw a 5 series

Computer, nav should be satellite based not DVD, in a car this price range should multi-CD really be an option? And finally the ridiculous price from the dealer to have sat radio installed - it has satellite prep, but the radio costs $1000 installed (I got one for $29 and stuck it on the dash)

530I
By Stoney

2005 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought mine with 15000 miles on it. I also owned a previous certified pre-owned 2000 (I can't get myself to puchase a new one). While I enjoy the "sedan" feel, it is not as responsive as my previous 5 series and also my wife's 335i blows it away in the fun category. But with that said, I bought a sedan and I love it (120 mph feels like 45 mph)! I only wish the ergonomics were a tad better (cup holders, cruise, tilt, wipers, etc.). For the money, give me the beemer and keep the lexus/acura!

heated stering wheel, bluetoothe, I-control, wipers, sport mode tranny.

Cup holders, come on deutshce engineers, thats your best?