Used 2005 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Doesn't age well
By spice4

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've pretty much had problems with this vehicle every since I've had it, namely cam sensors needing constant replacing, placement of fuels in trunk panel, and my CD player has eaten the CD. It's not worth the money spent.

Exterior design

Include more outlets for electronics

I love my 5 Series but not the major issue
By ddsbmw

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my 525i, but it would be a lot more enjoyable with some sort of stereo. CCC module went out and is $1700 to replace. Out of my budget and almost inevitable to go out in this model. This controls navigation and all the service lights so I love my car a lot less than I could have. How I wish BMW would recall their obvious faulty CCC module so this car could be the great car it was meant to be.

Used to be stereo and navigation system.

CCC Module!!

Design Defect
By Regina Wofford

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love my car, but there is a definite design defect. The electronic module that controls most of the electronics in the car is located under the tire well in the truck. It's very easy for liquids to seep into the compartment and cause an "electronic malfunction". I was carrying groceries in my trunk and some liquid spilled. Before I made it home, my car's electronic system went haywire. I took it to the dealer and explained my problem and he new exactly what it was. It seems many other car owners have had the same problem. At a cost of $790 they repaired the problem and relocated the electronic module. It seems this is an ongoing problem and BMW should have made owners aware of the issue

It's a very comfortable drive

The car needs better cup holders.

I-drive (CCC system) is an issue
By Lauren

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I LOVE this car. It is fun to drive and is sporty while still being a 4-door sedan. It handles well and really does adjust to your driving style which I really love. There is one BIG issue, the iDrive system that controls the a/c, heat, radio, entertainment, etc. It malfunctions about twice a year and the dealership acts as if they've never seen anything like it. (After researching, it is evident this is an ongoing issue with 5-series.) They did replace my CCC/ iDrive unit while under the warranty but now it is doing it again! This time it's NOT under warranty and it is quoted to cost thousands of dollars to fix this computer module! This issue needs to be resolved.

The drive and handling

iDrive issue, more storage

Love my 5 Series!
By ChristiRae

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Go buy yourself a 5-Series!! :) When I bought this car I thought "great - it looks nice, has free maintenance and oil changes, and it's sporty but big enough to actually take 3 or 4 people with me." What I did not realize is that it is super fuel efficient (I got 36.4 mpg on the drive to and from Vegas from SoCal in overdrive, honestly!), it's really comfortable, although it's only a 6cyl. this car gets up and goes (especially in Sport Mode). The only complaint I have is the cup holders! I know it's petty, but the driver's cup holder is way over on the passenger's side :(

Looks, comfort, gas mileage, fun to drive, love the iDrive, reliability.

The cup holders! It would be nice if the driver's cup holder was acutually on the driver's side of the car! I know I should be driving, not worrying about where my Chai Latte is, but it is a bit distracting trying to reach all the way over to the passenger side to grab my Starbucks cup!