2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Doesn't age well
By spice4 on 05/17/13 19:41 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've pretty much had problems with this vehicle every since I've had it, namely cam sensors needing constant replacing, placement of fuels in trunk panel, and my CD player has eaten the CD. It's not worth the money spent.

I love my 5 Series but not the major issue
By ddsbmw on 10/02/12 14:47 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my 525i, but it would be a lot more enjoyable with some sort of stereo. CCC module went out and is $1700 to replace. Out of my budget and almost inevitable to go out in this model. This controls navigation and all the service lights so I love my car a lot less than I could have. How I wish BMW would recall their obvious faulty CCC module so this car could be the great car it was meant to be.

Design Defect
By Regina Wofford on 07/17/10 09:32 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love my car, but there is a definite design defect. The electronic module that controls most of the electronics in the car is located under the tire well in the truck. It's very easy for liquids to seep into the compartment and cause an "electronic malfunction". I was carrying groceries in my trunk and some liquid spilled. Before I made it home, my car's electronic system went haywire. I took it to the dealer and explained my problem and he new exactly what it was. It seems many other car owners have had the same problem. At a cost of $790 they repaired the problem and relocated the electronic module. It seems this is an ongoing problem and BMW should have made owners aware of the issue

I-drive (CCC system) is an issue
By Lauren on 04/09/10 20:01 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I LOVE this car. It is fun to drive and is sporty while still being a 4-door sedan. It handles well and really does adjust to your driving style which I really love. There is one BIG issue, the iDrive system that controls the a/c, heat, radio, entertainment, etc. It malfunctions about twice a year and the dealership acts as if they've never seen anything like it. (After researching, it is evident this is an ongoing issue with 5-series.) They did replace my CCC/ iDrive unit while under the warranty but now it is doing it again! This time it's NOT under warranty and it is quoted to cost thousands of dollars to fix this computer module! This issue needs to be resolved.

Love my 5 Series!
By ChristiRae on 08/30/07 11:56 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Go buy yourself a 5-Series!! :) When I bought this car I thought "great - it looks nice, has free maintenance and oil changes, and it's sporty but big enough to actually take 3 or 4 people with me." What I did not realize is that it is super fuel efficient (I got 36.4 mpg on the drive to and from Vegas from SoCal in overdrive, honestly!), it's really comfortable, although it's only a 6cyl. this car gets up and goes (especially in Sport Mode). The only complaint I have is the cup holders! I know it's petty, but the driver's cup holder is way over on the passenger's side :(

Best car I've ever had!!
By dan on 12/17/06 22:00 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I have had just about every make of automobile (cadillac, jaguar, porsche, s2000 and trucks), and this 5 series is the overall best car I've ever had. The only problem is the 6 cylinder is a little underpowered. But that is what I bought. Am looking to order a new 8 cylinder, and take delivery in Germany.

Great Car
By Damon on 01/24/06 00:22 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

My wife fell in love with this car when she saw it. This is our first BMW and we are very satisfied. I am 6'4 and 280 pounds and there is tons of leg room for me front and back. in fact my favorite spot in the car is riding in the back. This car drives great and handles perfect. I only wish we would have spent the extra money and got the 530 to have more power. Don't get wrong it has great power but only after you get up to 40-50 mph. There is no initial pick up in the 6 cyl, but its great at higher speeds. Gears and smooth and precise. go for it and get one. It is the best driving car we ever had.

NIGHTMARE VEHICLE
By T Rodriguez on 10/08/05 14:06 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is my first BMW purchase and it has been a nightmare from day 1. The iDrive has caused problems, the steering rack had to be replaced at 6,000 miles, the run flat tire sensor continually shows up whether I have a flat tire or not. BMW is unwilling to take this vehicle back. They stated that the car has ONLY been in the shop 20 times, which is not enough according to their standards. NEVER again I will purchase a BMW!!!

Fun Car
By gene on 07/29/05 02:34 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW and I love it. I did have the car in the shop 3 times. 1st exhaust sensor went out. 2nd the car had to be towed to the shop...bad oil pressure sensor... I decided to trade-in for LEXUS reliability but after I test drove LEXUS I decided to keep my BMW. I just can't give-up the BMW performance... and I still have the warranty.

Happy all around
By Hans on 04/21/05 23:30 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

Given that I choose the lowest HP engine, I am impressed how well it still performs, especially on the highway. I don't miss one Hp. I took it for a 1500 mile roadtrip and had the most delightful drive I have ever had. I have owned over 50 cars - so far the only section any other car performed better was in acceleration because I had cars with big engines as well.