2005 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Fragile buyer beware
By vimba on 05/24/14 16:22 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

My 2nd 5 series in 7years; This car is fun to drive,power and performance cant be matched, but it comes at heavy price. Oil leaks,check engine signs,transmission glitch all expensive repairs occurring before 100k. All repairs average $1200, because of the name BMW.

Doesn't age well
By spice4 on 05/17/13 19:41 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've pretty much had problems with this vehicle every since I've had it, namely cam sensors needing constant replacing, placement of fuels in trunk panel, and my CD player has eaten the CD. It's not worth the money spent.

Great Car, but not Cheap to maintain
By amg0507 on 12/16/12 22:47 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had my car for a few years now and put a good bit of miles on it. I've got 120,000 miles. I've changed the battery, tires, oil, spark plugs, all the regular maintenance and it drives great. But it's a BMW and parts are not cheap. . . it's also not cheap to have someone put them in for you. If you want a car that is Cheaper to keep going, drive a Toyota or a Honda. If you want to enjoy driving your car get a BMW. Previously I've had an Rx-8, MiniCooper Sport, Lexus SC430 and a Honda Accord.

Im depressed
By wjja47 on 11/05/12 10:03 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The Ultimate Driving Machine sucks in terms of reliability. I bought my first and last BMW 3.5 years ago while it was still under their their Warranty/Maintenance plan. However, I have had leak after leak before and after the warranty expired. I think I have replaced the whole cooling system and oil system. Every day before I drive my car, I have to check the undercarriage plate to see if I got another coolant or oil leak. Plus the "engine malfunction, increased emissions" light always come on and the engine start shaking and its always caused by a different part. Do not buy unless you plan to buy several extended warranties and pray the parts are covered.

I love my 5 Series but not the major issue
By ddsbmw on 10/02/12 14:47 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I love to drive my 525i, but it would be a lot more enjoyable with some sort of stereo. CCC module went out and is $1700 to replace. Out of my budget and almost inevitable to go out in this model. This controls navigation and all the service lights so I love my car a lot less than I could have. How I wish BMW would recall their obvious faulty CCC module so this car could be the great car it was meant to be.

Fun to drive, not without issues
By fango2 on 02/06/12 19:27 PM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I bought mine in 2008 with 28K miles. I sold my 2003 325i to get this car. Just like the 3 series, I LOVE the way this car drives. The power, acceleration and steering are incredible. It's super smooth at high speeds - you just don't know you're speeding! After about 50K miles I was experiencing jerkiness in the transmission. Sometimes at a stop the engine would race and I'd have to shove my foot on the brake. I mentioned it several times to my dealer and finally, at 99K miles (I had the extended warranty) I asked to have a mechanic ride with me and I got a new transmission :) Cupholders suck; don't like the iDrive and interior is so-so, but I still like the car!

Loves it
By paulmiceli on 03/21/11 19:49 PM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Owned my 2005 530i for 3 years and never had one problem with it. Drove like a dream and always loved driving it. I put on about 12,000 a year mostly city driving and it performed great. A little tight up front (I'm 6'3) but overall the space inside is good. The interior design is very good the bluetooth always worked great with my phone and IDrive didn't bother me once I got used to it. The cup holders are ok they're not to bad never had a problem with them. The car is also very safe I got into an accident and the car held up great. Just recently sold it with 57,000 miles I upgraded to a 2008 535xi I hope I have the same luck with it !

Buyer Beware!!
By musicman9 on 01/20/11 08:26 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I had 3 cars sitting in my garage, one was a BMW 545i (2005) one is a GMC Envoy (2002) and the other is a Toyota Tacoma Truck (1996) The BMW continued to leak oil all over the garage until I finally sold it. The Envoy and the Tacoma have about 200,000 miles each and I doubt that I have even spent $500 combined on the 2 of these cars since I have owned them. The BMW has been nothing but problems with every maintenance bill being at least $1,000. Just a battery alone for the car is almost $500! The car was the best driving car I have ever owned but reliability was the worst of any of the 20 cars I have owned since I first started driving. I traded it recently for a Toyota!

Automatic Transmission Issues
By panthersb on 01/08/11 08:22 AM (PST)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

In all, the 545i is a well-balanced rig -- amazingly fast and agile for a car of its size and comfort. My car has been plagued with electrical issues however, and a glitch with the transmission is enough to force me to replace it. When driving under slight power between 35 and 40 mph, the car feels as if there is a disruption in the fuel delivery or ignition. When I first demonstrated this to the dealer, a tech said it was the transmission, it was normal, and by shifting it to sport mode I could eliminate the issue. Unacceptable, in my opinion. This isn't "normal" behavior for any car, and I don't want to drive in sport mode to fix a transmission malfunction. Major buzz kill.

CCC Problem
By black545 on 09/16/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2005 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Great car but there is a issue with the CCC aka iDrive. I had one go out under warranty at about 40,000 and now again it went out at 79,000 but this time I have to pay and it costs $1600 to replace. I have the certified pre- owned warranty which the dealership that I bought from said was bumper to bumper (the salesman lied) and now I have to suffer the consequences. Also the brakes squeal even though they do not need to be replaced. The rear tires wear fast because in the sports suspension, the wheels are slightly inward on purpose for handling so you will have to change tires frequently. Do not recommend if you don't have a lot of money to pay for service.