Worst car I've ever owned. Beautiful looking but leaves you stranded.
By nickafan on
2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)
The only thing this car has going for it is looks. The car is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion. I bought it with 70,000 miles and a month later, the car died. It needed a new battery and had $3,000 worth of oil leaks. My mechanic told me the oil leaks are standard maintenance on this BMW. A week later the car wouldn't start again & threw a check engine light. It needed a new thermostat, coolant, and MAF sensor. Two weeks later I discovered another oil leak at the oil pressure sensor! This is ridiculous. I've owned a 2006 Toyota from 0 miles all the way to 140,000+ miles and it never needed a new battery, never had oil leaks, never a check engine light, and it never left me stranded.
Favorite Features
The exterior design is great, the leather and interior looks nice making you want to buy the car, and the iDrive is very cool. The car is quick and drives nicely when it's actually running.
Suggested Improvements
A car that doesn't break down every week before it reaches 100,000 miles. If you're buying a "nice expensive car" shouldn't it last up to 200,000 miles like "cheap" Toyota's and Honda's do?
By chriskhoury
on 09/17/12 04:00 AM (PDT)

So what you're saying is that, this car didn't last a few months with you. You bought it with 70,000 miles. Ever wondered why the seller wanted to sell it? I have a 1997 BMW 5 series. My family has had it for the past 6 years, which means it has been on the road for the past 15 years approx. Never have we once put it in the shop for anything other than changing its tires. Except for last month, my radiator needed some maintenance. And THAT was it. Now why did your car end up like that? 3 case scenarios. 1- You're not so good at maintaining a car, although I doubt it since your 2006 Toyota lasted so long. 2- The guy who owned that car before you is a sob, I mean come on. at 70,000 miles it starts doing this? and 3- your mechanic is ripping you off. Fixing something and breaking something else just to rip you off my friend. All in all, this is a BMW. It's not a Kia Motors car, it's not a Honda, it's not a Renault. This is a BMW, it's tough, it's strong, and believe me it's like a lady. Treat her well with care and tender, she'll give you her everything. Get rough with her, and neglect her needs she'll just screw you over. Again, we have a 1997 BMW 5 Series, and a 2003 Mercedes Benz CLK. Without a doubt, I would drive the BMW instead of the Benz. Check your facts, your reviews about all BMWs are wrong. Maybe that one you own. Just not all of them.