2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: First 5'er, won't be the last

2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

530i Sedan (3.0L 6-cyl. 6-speed Manual)

First 5'er, won't be the last
By Phase1 on

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Very satisfied with my first 5-series. The thrill of driving (like when I first got my license) is back. Was worried about reliability problems for BMW's in general and in this 1st year model redesign in particular. Concern proved unfounded as car has been rock solid; no need to go back to the dealer. Sure the I-Drive freezes once in a while, but rebooting it is no problem. BTW - I-Drive isn't best thing, nor is it the root of all evil. It does take a little getting used to, but once done, it's quite functional & does serve to: 1) get rid of many buttons/dials on the dash; 2) allow more customization of car functions. Good thing there is a speed alarm b/c I drive much faster now.

Favorite Features

1. The ride; 2. The ride; 3. The ride; 4. Bluetooth connection to my cellphone with uploading of my phone addressbook to the car; 5. Navigation system (yes, Honda/Acura's is better, but this is much better than nothing); 6. Auto anti- glare mirrors

Suggested Improvements

1. Usable utility compartment - get rid of the useless cell phone bin; 2. Functional cupholders - understand there is a redesign now available. 3. Navigation update to allow searching of restaurants and hotels by name rather than by address - if I knew the address, I may not need the Nav!