Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I Love This Car
By Ed

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This car is fun to drive and it makes me smile when I drive it. The dealer was the best I've dealt with, their service department does what it promises. I highly recommend this car and dealer.

Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers.

I love this car as is, I have no suggestions for improvements.

My 2004 530i
By Johnny Garcia

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had car for one year now and no surprises with any break downs. Car is absolutely fab to drive. Get the Premium audio, sports package and maintenance coverage for all tuneups and oil changes, etc since its definitely worth it.

Handling, Premium sound, auto back window shade

More cup holders

One down, two to go
By totalsystm

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

545i 6-speed. Just an OK rating for a $60K+ car is sad. After a year, still not sold! Started off wrong. Ordered from the factory with, I thought, every option. Nope! At delivery and later through surprises, found out that if BMW builds it with the Navigation System (which frequently attempts to route us through Frankfurt) and the HUD (Heads up display which is great-unless you have polarized glasses, then it becomes invisible), you can not get satellite radio or simply see the names of songs or radio stations (Yes, this is with the high end Sound system option.) No MP3! BMW response, "Sorry". Custom power seats with lumbar support pretty good, but not at all good looking.

Headlights, Heads Up Display (HUD), steering wheel heater, acceleration. Skiing in the car, on just 2 inches of snow (You MUST get snow tires and winter rims, then handling is fine in bad weather.) Sorry, not too much to be happy about!

Dump I-Drive (and fire the designer!); get cupholders that actually hold cups; add funcational side mirrors-- too small; add reverse gear lockout (on 6 speed manual); custom seats just OK; headrests terrible (need forward and back adjustments.) Did I mention get rid of the I-Drive?

I GOT THE RIGHT ONE, BABY!!!
By Bimmamma

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for a little while now and I really like the quickness of it (mind you, I said quickness, not fastness). The handling is unbeatable!!! Doesn't seem to hug the curves like my '92 525i does but it still knows it's a Bimmer and it comes in at a close second!!!!

My favorite feature is the lights!! I love the pathway driving!! I like how it's sporty and lux!! The iDrive is neat too. It keeps the busy hands of passengers away from your stuff. They can't figure it out and that's too danggone cool!!! We've got one up on 'em, Bimmer drivers!!!!!! (~_~)

Do something about the brake dust! Put the pretty reflectors back on! Also, put the power back where it belongs! C'mon, these are Bimmers!! Why are there other less expensive cars with more horsepower than what we have?? 184hp? Please!! THIS CERTAINLY NEEDS TO BE CHANGED WITHOUT A PRICE INCREASE!

Instrumentation Disaster
By sparcusa

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This iDrive thing is an abomination. My minivan radio has more capabilities. The iDrive has a nice color screen, looks cool but essentially does nothing. Really! Shockingly disfunctional and distracts from the overall driving experience. It constantly displays a warning that essentially says "DONT LOOK AT THIS WHILE YOUR DRIVING". If I can't upgrade this thing, I think I'm going to trade it in. really, really disappointed.

Handles like a dream, cruise control is very cool and auto windshield wipers also cool. But these features can be found on vehicles at half the price

Either put nav, wireless internet access, non proprietary phone integration, performance telemetry, ipod integration or rip it out!!