Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

This is not what you want to buy
By Ray Vega

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I don't know what's going on with this cars. The noise inside my car is never ending. We brought it to the dealer several times to replace the seals on the four doors. Acceleration is very, very, extremely poor in the 525i. You can not pass a car in the city and mine is standard transm. My a/c always smells so bad that I always prefer driving with my windows down... for the price you pay? No way! This is a 40K car! I drive very poor.

Favorite Features

Sirius radio, cornering, front HID lights.

Suggested Improvements

Door seals (please) acceleration! iDrive!

Not for real road driving
By Los Angles

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Nice and fun car to drive, but not for real road driving apparently. Drove thru a puddle of water over a dip (deepest part 15 in), killed the whole engine by hydrolock (in a 2 years old car!) Air intake valve in this car is a lot lower than most of the cars (behind the front bumper). So it only looks good in the showroom and drives well in a closed course? Better wish it never rains in your area. We'll never buy a BMW again.

BMW 530i from RLA
By RLA

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car makes me feel good to drive. I love it! For about the first year, we had some software problems -- nothing that affected performance, but created a nuisance (e.g., couldn't sense CDs in CD changer, difficulty recognizing voice commands). BMW found the problem and upgraded software. Since then, it's problem free. Inside styling is chic, but it's a bit cramped. Little storage room.

Favorite Features

Navigation system

Suggested Improvements

Anything I wished for has already been added: all wheel drive; interface with iPod; enhanced performance.

BMW '04 530 I comments
By silber

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Best car we have ever driven; performance, economy, style

Favorite Features

Navigation

Suggested Improvements

Better cupholder arrangement; less brake dust without sacrificing performance

Looks can be decieving
By Melina

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car in Germany and couldn't wait to get it back to the states. The same week it arrived I had to turn it into the dealership because, the monitor said I was out of oil. They fixed that problem. A couple of months past and one night the car went crazy. Windshield wipers wouldn't turn off, headlights, radio, interior lights were all flashing. BMW claimed to fix the problem. 2 weeks later I was at the dealership again for another "software" issue. My vehicle had been in the shop 7 times and was less than a year old. I was really disappointed with the way BMW Corporate handled the situation. I could have purchased a Neon and had less problems. I won't be purchasing another BMW.

Favorite Features

Appearance is the only thing going for this vehicle. Being that me and the dealership seem to have joint custody of the car, when it's not with them it drives/rides fine. As soon as my two weeks are up it's back to daddy dealership for more "software" work.

Suggested Improvements

Fix the so called "software" issue. Maybe, BMW should work out all the bugs before placing their products on the market.