2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
If it worked it would be great.
By bwertma. on 01/28/05 13:44 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This could be a great car, but repeated problems with the computer system make it unacceptable. Episodes of the headlights not coming on but instead all exterior lights start flashing rapidly on and off; warnings that the passenger airbag is off when an adult passenger is in the seat; warnings of brake and steering problems; etc. We have had many computer modules replaced and software upgrades to no avail. Because of these types of recurring, potentially dangerous problems; we don't even feel comfortable enough to drive our 530i out of town. It is really fun to drive. If I had gotten one that worked reliably, I would love it.

BEST BMW I'VE OWNED!!
By LEDEAGLE on 01/27/05 11:59 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is a superb machine!! I’ve had 3 other BMWs, Mercedes and a Porsche, and this car kills them all. Fuel economy is astonishing, and performance especially on the road is exhilarating.

2004 530 is OK but not like previous 5's
By RiceOwls on 01/17/05 17:20 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my second 5 series, and is lacking compated to the 2002 model. The active steering is OK, as is i-drive, zip is good as is braking. I-drive is overkill (e.g. buttons for radio would be better), interior feels like a Camry or Avalon instead of a BMW, it's got more squeaks and rattles than an 80's vintage GM car, it "floats" when hit by strong winds, problem with the gas tank such that it thinks it's full after being filled with 1-2 gallons (even if it needs a full tank), had to have i- drive fixed by dealer within first few months, inferior storage and cup holders (OK so that's standard BMW and not specific to 2004 5 series), and in general does not stack up to the previous 530.

A dangerous LEMON
By RRand on 01/10/05 16:28 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I obtained this, my third BMW, with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the car was a lemon from an electrical standpoint with multiple problems from the start. The worst were that the heated seat burned through the seat leather and burned through my clothes and into my wallet which was all that saved me. Now the seat is under recall. Next the assisted steering system failed on the freeway. I have returned the car most unsatisfied!!

at a glance and gone
By morrika on 12/29/04 02:49 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Love this car. I would say the 535i is a great buy based on gas savings durig these times. But power is the name of my game This car handles wonderfully. The sports package is a must. And while enjoying the ride listen to the Harmon Kardon how real can you get? Just a nice all-around confortable drive. This car turns heads, then you're gone and you can't help but smile.

Get One
By PK on 12/26/04 21:05 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

unbelievable power, silky smooth.... I have sports pkg--the handling is terrific..can be driven aggressively but still has great manners...the car is stunning, beatiful-i have titanium silver. Premium sound is great. MB doesnt have the power and looks like an old man's car.(exception..E55 AMG for 20-30K more)

When it works, It's Great
By AW on 12/11/04 15:37 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Have owned a '99 323 and a '01 530- Great Cars, no problems. Cannot say the same about '04-530i. When it works, drives great, fun to use stuff inside. Dealer cannot get all the iDrive to work consistently. Fix 1 item, something doesn't work. All 4 tires have been replaced and I still have vibration at 60mph. Dealership cannot figure it out. Going back again for 4th appointment to fix new iDrive problem and tire issues. Only good thing, BMW loaner car (3 series) which drives great. If you can get a 2003 5 series-grab it!

Best car I've ever owned
By dtpi on 11/28/04 10:18 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I traded up from a Merz C-Class to the 525. Both cars are great cars but I needed a little more room. The 525 offers that and more.

4500 miles review
By jamesc on 11/26/04 01:39 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I chose European Delivery and picked up my 545i in Munich, Germany. This car is designed to be driven at 100 mph + on German autobahn. At over 100 mph on German autobahn, this car can cruise at ease for hours like it’s doing 60 mph. The 545 is deceivingly fast and extremely quiet. The fit and finish is excellent. With Sport Package option, the car feels like it can take corners better than a Porsche Boxster. I do not like the 18' Run Flat Tires due to the “bouncy” feeling. The state of art BMW Valvetronic V8 engine is amazingly smooth and responsive. The cabin is isolated from all outside noise. I prefer to hear the engine and exhaust a little bit more. Overall, a great car so far.

2004 BMW 530i Sport
By Git R Dun on 11/23/04 02:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is a fantastic car. It rides and handles phenominally. It is quiet and solidly built. It gets good mileage.