Used 2004 BMW 5 Series 525i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

so far, so good
By citizeningermany

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I'm an american living in germany, and I've been able to drive some very sporty cars. I settled on the 525i since the real performance beasts just weren't worth the extra money for me. If you like comfort, get the comfort seat option, heavenly. Really enjoy the sport package, although $800 for the xenon lights is high. I love the solid, responsive handling on the tight, twisty roads of bavaria, and it really unwinds on the autobahn. Still does very well on gas mileage (and over here, it REALLY counts). I'm gonna hate to bring it back to the states!

Comfort seats, sport package, i-drive (once you figure it out), fold down rear seats, very roomy for a sport sedan, much more so than the 2003

the cupholders are useless. need better use of the space in the center console. a soft-close trunk would really be appropriate considering the price. Same for the doors.

My 2004 525i
By DHCorvette1970

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This vehicle is all I expected in a car and more. The handling and comfort and the ride is exceptional. The style and design of The BMW 5-series has delivered many a "WOW's & WHOO'S" to my family and friends. My BMW is primarly used to commute to work in the morning, commuting has never been so pleasureble. One thing I would request in a BMW is better cup holders. I need to put my Starbuck's coffee some where.

The 6-speed sequential transmission.

Need better cup holders.

Envy of all
By livlif525

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've owned my 525i w/sport/premium pkg since 4/04. This is probably the best handling sedan i've driven to date. Lux but sporty. Expected gas mileage to be better around town. Avg 35mpg on the highway. Couldn't justify spending the cheese for the 530. The extra hp is only noticably missing at low speeds. Not a factor on the highway. Finally getting used to the stares at stop lights. If you're thinking of purchasing - stop 2nd guessing and get it. You'll be glad you did.

Sport Pkg (well worth it), PDC, BiXenon lights, Styling.

6 disc cd changer as a standard feature. Also, larger wheels. Other than that the car is perfect.

ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE!!!
By MShadle.

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've never owned a BMW before and now that I have (2004 5Series) I understand why they use the slogan "Ultimate Driving Machine"...I am thoroughly impressed with the handling, the pickup and the overall driving...I look forward to driving every day!!!

i-Drive, MPG meters, rain sensor

There's no place to store CDs

Not as Great As Expected
By chgomo

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

While I love the styling of the new design and it's overall road handling prowess, the performance of the 525i is less than expected. Not much guts in the low end of each gear, but once it ramps up it's fine. I can only imagine how poorly it must perform with an automatic transmission; good enough for little old ladies on a Sunday afternoon, I suppose. Cup holders are of very poor quality and the i-drive system had to be replaced in the first 3 months of ownership.

Body style and handling are excellent; very solid in the turns. Unexpected bonus in the gas mileage, 29.4 mpg on the road, 27 mpg city.

Increase horsepower on 525i to at least match its competitors or lower the price. Better quality materials for cup holders. (A minor detail but it is important in a 1-2 hour daily commute). BMW needs to deliver the Bluetooth technology, it was promised 7 months ago.

• SUV