Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Not the best of best
By wmc

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased the 525i to replace a Q45t Infiniti. It is a different world. The BMW is much more sporty than the old pillow barge but it is not as comfortable on long road trips (we drive it to Seattle almost every year, ~ 3000 miles RT). I find the drivers seat small and cramped, although my wife likes it fine. Handling is good and the ride is adequate. The 4 year $0 maintenance is good and it was needed. A lot of small problems including a bad window motor, broken cup holders, dashboard computer replaced.

Spectacular gas mileage. Holding at 65 will give 38 mpg on the highway. Averaged 32 mpg over a 1000 mile trip. Solid handling on the road. Great trunk space.

The iDrive is awful, a product designed by engineers for engineers. Cup holders are flimsy and poorly placed. The center console is unusable.

Ergonomics
By Happy Back

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

The BMW 530i has an option to upgrade to a supremely adjustable ergonomic seat - a must for long commute times. This throne fit for a king comes in a fantastic package of performance, safety and security and style.

So many great features in this car! Some that make driving easier: ergonomic seat option, programmable buttons on the steering wheel make it possible to flip stations and perform other functions without taking hands off the wheel, visor flips from front to side window, good visibility.

Would be nice to make the cupholder deeper, so the morning cafe latte stays put. Visor could be extendable, to cover full side window. Mileage could certainly improve.

Well, well, well
By Bimmamma

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for three years now. Although, I really dig this car, I must say it really doesn't handle well in the snow. I've gotten stuck plenty in the snow over the last three years. BMW needs to do something about better winter performance or I will be forced to purchase other vehicles and leave Bimmers alone completely. I can't believe I said that but my safety and well-being come first. My neighbor has a Chevy Cobalt and it gets around better in the snow than my Bimmer EVER could. BMW better think of customer safety if they want my continued business!

Still like the lights most of all.

Better performance in the winter/snow or it's a Chevy for me.

Looks Great! Performs Good.
By CHDude

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Okay, consider the source, here. I am upgrading to the best class of car I have ever owned, but I know what a good and great car is. This is somewhere between good and great. I like what the Germans do with their cars. I like the way they build them. I like the way they design them, but the 530i is high maintenance. However, treat it right, and it will continue to make you happy. The handling on the 530i is unbeatable for a luxury sedan. The engine performance is deceptively good, not great, but good. Nevertheless, the interior is second to none. The looks combined with the great handling and good performance make it barely worth the price for me.

Driving position and features such as the highly adjustable seats, stellar AC, precise stereo sound, and clean instrument cluster are super nice. Also, the very nice exterior lines with aftermarket low profile rims make it look very classy.

The purchase price is borderline. Inversely, the resale value far above average. Overall, cost of ownership is too steep.

iDrive
By vetconstruction

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We picked up our low mileage unit a few months ago. It basically has every option aside from the active cruise control. We love this car, we also love the iDrive system. We researched the car to death and wonder why iDrive is so hated. If you can answer an e-mail and actually take the time to read the manual, this system is something to adore. The prologic 7 sound system is the best audio system on the planet. Smooth acceleration and gorgeous styling. We have clocked a few thousand miles and could not be any happier. The nav system is very nice as well.

1. The audio system. 2. The powerplant - quick and smooth. 3. The sport seats. 4. Fit and finish 5. Full privacy shades. 6. Did we mention the stereo and V8?

Lack of climate controls. Putting this feature in the iDrive system is actually a very bad idea. Cupholders. Leg room for backseat passengers.