2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
My 2004 530i
By Johnny Garcia on 08/14/05 23:55 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I've had car for one year now and no surprises with any break downs. Car is absolutely fab to drive. Get the Premium audio, sports package and maintenance coverage for all tuneups and oil changes, etc since its definitely worth it.

One down, two to go
By totalsystm on 08/02/05 00:03 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

545i 6-speed. Just an OK rating for a $60K+ car is sad. After a year, still not sold! Started off wrong. Ordered from the factory with, I thought, every option. Nope! At delivery and later through surprises, found out that if BMW builds it with the Navigation System (which frequently attempts to route us through Frankfurt) and the HUD (Heads up display which is great-unless you have polarized glasses, then it becomes invisible), you can not get satellite radio or simply see the names of songs or radio stations (Yes, this is with the high end Sound system option.) No MP3! BMW response, "Sorry". Custom power seats with lumbar support pretty good, but not at all good looking.

I GOT THE RIGHT ONE, BABY!!!
By Bimmamma on 07/18/05 06:40 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for a little while now and I really like the quickness of it (mind you, I said quickness, not fastness). The handling is unbeatable!!! Doesn't seem to hug the curves like my '92 525i does but it still knows it's a Bimmer and it comes in at a close second!!!!

Instrumentation Disaster
By sparcusa on 06/23/05 20:38 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This iDrive thing is an abomination. My minivan radio has more capabilities. The iDrive has a nice color screen, looks cool but essentially does nothing. Really! Shockingly disfunctional and distracts from the overall driving experience. It constantly displays a warning that essentially says "DONT LOOK AT THIS WHILE YOUR DRIVING". If I can't upgrade this thing, I think I'm going to trade it in. really, really disappointed.

Lemon
By A.Ortiz on 06/20/05 02:19 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

The look of the car is attractive.The looks are not worth the troubles and headaches of the vehicle. It has too many electrical problems.The windows roll down automatically while the ignition is turned off. The car also beeps like it's going to flat line when the car is in motion. The dealers do not know how to fix these problems. They reset the computer for the beeping sound and put a new motor in the doors for the windows and the same problems still occur. I have taken the vehicle to the dealer for service and repairs 7 times and I just scheduled an appointment for an 8th time in 2 weeks.

GREEN MACHINE
By EASYED on 06/12/05 13:23 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

The sports package tires and rims do not meet the rough roads (potholes,etc.). Expect out of pocket costs (new tires/new rims )potentially after 25,000 miles. Out of pocket costs could near $3,000. Also, three recalls to date, which are not what I expected in a $60k vehicle. Cupholders are terrible!!!

I'm in love
By jlma on 06/05/05 00:24 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I am delighted by my 530. It is a joy to drive it. I look for out of town trips in order to really feel the car. It has had no problem, other than a cracked windshield, caused by a stone that a truck tire sent flying into the glass.

Could be better
By JMZ on 05/30/05 18:13 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Like the looking and performance. Marked 225 hps but feels stronger than Infiniti G35 during the acceleration, which claimed 280 hps. Navigation system works better than my portable Garmin one, particularly the voice reminder, split screen: one for map and one for arrow direction. Parktronic and adaptive headlight are good features. The basic stereo sound is already better than the Bose in my previous Infiniti i30. Things I do not like: the interior looks cheaper than most of the same level cars in the market. IDrive is ok but not much advantages. No mp3 playable although the manual said so. No DVD playable in parking like Infiniti M Series.

First 5'er, won't be the last
By Phase1 on 05/01/05 11:29 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Very satisfied with my first 5-series. The thrill of driving (like when I first got my license) is back. Was worried about reliability problems for BMW's in general and in this 1st year model redesign in particular. Concern proved unfounded as car has been rock solid; no need to go back to the dealer. Sure the I-Drive freezes once in a while, but rebooting it is no problem. BTW - I-Drive isn't best thing, nor is it the root of all evil. It does take a little getting used to, but once done, it's quite functional & does serve to: 1) get rid of many buttons/dials on the dash; 2) allow more customization of car functions. Good thing there is a speed alarm b/c I drive much faster now.

Endless driving pleasure
By jlbl on 03/01/05 08:27 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have owned my 2004 BMW 530d for one year now. I am fully satisfied with it. I like driving, and driving this car is an endless pleasure. I look forward to do it everyday. The engine is diesel (turbocharged, 3 l, 6L cyl, 218 hp/4000 rpm, max speed 152 mph/4000 rpm, max torque 369 lbft/ 2000 rpm). My mileage is 20.7 mpg on downtown streets, 34.5 mpg on a mixture of highways (90-95 mph on average) mountain road. No problems to date. i-Drive is very useful in order to set preferences and leave yourself to deal dayly with only a few choice of buttons in the dashboard or the steering wheel. Brakes are efficient to the most. Last, the car is solid like a rock when it comes to a bump.