Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car
By thormark

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have the SMG transmission which is superb. Can drive as a manual when desired but also as an automatic while sipping your coffee on the way to work. The 545 is very quick and fantastic for highway driving. Super stable at high speeds. Fantastic brakes-stops on a dime.

Favorite Features

SMG transmission. The brakes are amazingly good. And of course the handling- BMW does it better than anyone else.

Suggested Improvements

There is a subtle noise that comes from the doors when driving slowly across parking lots. Hard to isolate where it is from. Haven't been to the dealer yet to investigate. (Too much fun driving the car to take it in). The cupholders are lame. The I-drive could be improved.

i didn't think they could make a better5
By rdavidml

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Beautiful exaust note. Super accelleration of this very reliable and well tested 8 cylinder. Greatest feature with this engine is the active roll stabilization. no lean in hard curves. Very good workmanship as expected. I have had no problems with the electronics, incl. BMW phone.The large wheels/tires make the look of this car.

Favorite Features

Engine, steering and handling, comfort

Suggested Improvements

as always the cupholders are hopeless.

530
By corkdsp

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

8k miles so far and loving this car. Only a few minor computer issues that were fixed by dealer with software upgrade. Car drives amazing)

Favorite Features

Car feels like sports car

Suggested Improvements

Interior could be better, My dealer service is poor

Awesome Automobile!
By Lomag

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Boy oh boy! I've been waiting for this car since late 2001 and I finally got it in Feb 2004. This car is excellent however the sport package is a requirement if you choose to buy it. Active steering is incredible and the active roll stabilization which produces almost no body roll while cornering is incredible as well. These two features are a must!! The interior could use some quality improvement in materials in certain areas. I'm sure minor things like this will be worked out over the cars lifetime.

Favorite Features

Active steering, active roll stabilization iDrive is great too, "set it, and forget it!"

Suggested Improvements

Certain interior quality improvments, storage space and getting all the options to work together, ie. NAV, Sirius Radio, and Bluetooth.

WOW OMG!
By bimmerfan

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is the most fun car I have ever driven. I love the way exterior looks. It is definately in the top 5 best looking cars on the road, definately the car with a serious "PRESENCE"! I- Drive is very easy and can be learned in a very short time. The comfort seats are awesome. Premium sound is awesome. I test drove MB E500 and it is a very nice car as well but this new 5 series is definately more fun to drive, handles better and to me, it looks way more interesting.

Favorite Features

V8, Comfort Seats, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Adaptive Headlights, Active Roll Suspension

Suggested Improvements

More options in the I-Drive. There aren't that many options there. You can't blame BMW for that though. There are still some who are arguing that I- Drive is hard as it is. Geeeeez