2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Well, well, well
By Bimmamma on 02/06/08 03:40 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for three years now. Although, I really dig this car, I must say it really doesn't handle well in the snow. I've gotten stuck plenty in the snow over the last three years. BMW needs to do something about better winter performance or I will be forced to purchase other vehicles and leave Bimmers alone completely. I can't believe I said that but my safety and well-being come first. My neighbor has a Chevy Cobalt and it gets around better in the snow than my Bimmer EVER could. BMW better think of customer safety if they want my continued business!

Looks Great! Performs Good.
By CHDude on 09/17/07 21:16 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Okay, consider the source, here. I am upgrading to the best class of car I have ever owned, but I know what a good and great car is. This is somewhere between good and great. I like what the Germans do with their cars. I like the way they build them. I like the way they design them, but the 530i is high maintenance. However, treat it right, and it will continue to make you happy. The handling on the 530i is unbeatable for a luxury sedan. The engine performance is deceptively good, not great, but good. Nevertheless, the interior is second to none. The looks combined with the great handling and good performance make it barely worth the price for me.

iDrive
By vetconstruction on 08/16/07 14:18 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

We picked up our low mileage unit a few months ago. It basically has every option aside from the active cruise control. We love this car, we also love the iDrive system. We researched the car to death and wonder why iDrive is so hated. If you can answer an e-mail and actually take the time to read the manual, this system is something to adore. The prologic 7 sound system is the best audio system on the planet. Smooth acceleration and gorgeous styling. We have clocked a few thousand miles and could not be any happier. The nav system is very nice as well.

Great handling - electronic bugs
By Paul M on 03/21/07 21:13 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I have the curent body style BMW 530i, purchased near the end of 2003, when they first came out in Toronto. The driving experience is incredible. Handling is excellent compared to every other car I have driven. I tested many before buying the 530, including Volvo R60, Porche Cayenne, Audi A4/S4/A6, Mercedes SL500, Jag XJ-S, and loads of rental sedans. It has a heavy, solid feel compared to most other cars. A muscle car like a Mustang feels like there is more under the hood but the BMW is much more refined and very sporty. I took the BMW driving course and have gained a greater appreciation for the computer controls that keep you on the road. This car needs winter tires for snow conditions.

This is not what you want to buy
By Ray Vega on 12/08/06 22:30 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I don't know what's going on with this cars. The noise inside my car is never ending. We brought it to the dealer several times to replace the seals on the four doors. Acceleration is very, very, extremely poor in the 525i. You can not pass a car in the city and mine is standard transm. My a/c always smells so bad that I always prefer driving with my windows down... for the price you pay? No way! This is a 40K car! I drive very poor.

Not for real road driving
By Los Angles on 09/02/06 10:12 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

Nice and fun car to drive, but not for real road driving apparently. Drove thru a puddle of water over a dip (deepest part 15 in), killed the whole engine by hydrolock (in a 2 years old car!) Air intake valve in this car is a lot lower than most of the cars (behind the front bumper). So it only looks good in the showroom and drives well in a closed course? Better wish it never rains in your area. We'll never buy a BMW again.

BMW 530i from RLA
By RLA on 07/02/06 13:24 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This car makes me feel good to drive. I love it! For about the first year, we had some software problems -- nothing that affected performance, but created a nuisance (e.g., couldn't sense CDs in CD changer, difficulty recognizing voice commands). BMW found the problem and upgraded software. Since then, it's problem free. Inside styling is chic, but it's a bit cramped. Little storage room.

BMW '04 530 I comments
By silber on 06/16/06 08:35 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Best car we have ever driven; performance, economy, style

Looks can be decieving
By Melina on 04/25/06 04:54 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I bought the car in Germany and couldn't wait to get it back to the states. The same week it arrived I had to turn it into the dealership because, the monitor said I was out of oil. They fixed that problem. A couple of months past and one night the car went crazy. Windshield wipers wouldn't turn off, headlights, radio, interior lights were all flashing. BMW claimed to fix the problem. 2 weeks later I was at the dealership again for another "software" issue. My vehicle had been in the shop 7 times and was less than a year old. I was really disappointed with the way BMW Corporate handled the situation. I could have purchased a Neon and had less problems. I won't be purchasing another BMW.

530i
By Jeanne on 04/15/06 21:43 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This has been one of the most pleasureable cars to drive and own. I have not needed to pay for anything other then a new tire that was needed after blowing out on I95 and riding on the rim. I was amazed at the control that I still had when the tire blew. I have continued to enjoy this vehicle, and the only improvement I would make, is to have a fence around it in parking lots. Apparently others do not think that the car should be treated well. Of course they didn't pay for it.