Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews - 342 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Transmission fault
By daisy2

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission fault came on and then i have to stop in the middle of the road to restart for light would go off . This is the worst BMW ever the car only have 85k . and my friends has a kia with more miles and there no problems with his car even the BMW shop tried to fix the car but they fix the wrong thing, i hate i ever got this car

new car

Great car but unexpected problems
By Fouad

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new in 2004 and I still use it now. At first fule smell inside and dealer couldn't fix the problem till now also annoying sound from the roof like plates hitting 1. After 2 years I had to replace my suspension system for a cost of $2,200 (done by dealer) but I had to change all rft tyres because of that on my account for aboutt $2,400 2. After 3 years gearbox had to be replaced for a cost of around $7,000 (done by dealer) 3. After 4 years again I had suspension sys problem 4. Ac not cooling and compressor should be replaced for a cost of around $2,200 5. Oil level is always low according to computer screen but oil level is ok 6. Left front passenger window doesn't close any more

nice sporty exterior looking and real fun to drive, handling, accelerating, breaking, it's enjoyable when you don't face fixing and replacing parts

1. RFT tyres are very bad idea each time u need to change a tire it costs around $600 2. give it more useful space in the interior i didn't find any space for my mobile, pen, papers, and the side console is really tight 3. bmw should make a car to last for at least 10 years without problems !!

1st 5 Series
By Olson

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car used, I adore this vehicle. I smile and actually giggle every time I click the door open. I have had a 3 series in the past and was hesitant about going to a car so much bigger. I was wrong. It handles like a demon when accelerating. The rear wheel drive in Wisconsin does require special care, but the way it conforms to me and the heated seats and steering wheel more than make up for it. I have every intention of holding on to this car for many years to come. The previous owner took such care of it, one would never believe it was used. Love, love this car, just pray it does not break in any way, expensive to fix.

Heated seats and steering, The beautiful logo that shows others royalty is coming;-)

Steering "squeaks" a bit, but fluid says fine and turning is not issue at all.

DON'T BUY ONE
By rusdswan

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this 2004 545i in Oct 06. It had 48k miles on it and was in near perfect condition. I had problems within a month of driving it. The default light for almost every system alarmed. After 4 visits I bought a new $170 battery which fixed all the problems BMW could not. Recently the transmission default light came on. BMW offered to fix it for $8200. Ridiculous!

heads up display voice activated nav and entertainment

Quit charging so much for service and parts.

The best I have driven
By leoklaus

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am currently driving a 530i. It is very reliable car and so far nothing has been changed or broken. Excellent handling and comfort. I love the car and every time I drive it, it is truly a superb experience. I am a one happy owner. Of course there is still a room for improvement ... M5.

iDrive...yes I like it, I cannot understand why many people complain about it. It is simple to operate. I do not have to even look at the display. Rear wheel drive (racing abilities), of course not in the snow, I am not crazy.

The built quality of interior features corresponds to its class. Overall everything is fine.