Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

2004 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car but unexpected problems
By Fouad

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new in 2004 and I still use it now. At first fule smell inside and dealer couldn't fix the problem till now also annoying sound from the roof like plates hitting 1. After 2 years I had to replace my suspension system for a cost of $2,200 (done by dealer) but I had to change all rft tyres because of that on my account for aboutt $2,400 2. After 3 years gearbox had to be replaced for a cost of around $7,000 (done by dealer) 3. After 4 years again I had suspension sys problem 4. Ac not cooling and compressor should be replaced for a cost of around $2,200 5. Oil level is always low according to computer screen but oil level is ok 6. Left front passenger window doesn't close any more

Favorite Features

nice sporty exterior looking and real fun to drive, handling, accelerating, breaking, it's enjoyable when you don't face fixing and replacing parts

Suggested Improvements

1. RFT tyres are very bad idea each time u need to change a tire it costs around $600 2. give it more useful space in the interior i didn't find any space for my mobile, pen, papers, and the side console is really tight 3. bmw should make a car to last for at least 10 years without problems !!

1st 5 Series
By Olson

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car used, I adore this vehicle. I smile and actually giggle every time I click the door open. I have had a 3 series in the past and was hesitant about going to a car so much bigger. I was wrong. It handles like a demon when accelerating. The rear wheel drive in Wisconsin does require special care, but the way it conforms to me and the heated seats and steering wheel more than make up for it. I have every intention of holding on to this car for many years to come. The previous owner took such care of it, one would never believe it was used. Love, love this car, just pray it does not break in any way, expensive to fix.

Favorite Features

Heated seats and steering, The beautiful logo that shows others royalty is coming;-)

Suggested Improvements

Steering "squeaks" a bit, but fluid says fine and turning is not issue at all.

DON'T BUY ONE
By rusdswan

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this 2004 545i in Oct 06. It had 48k miles on it and was in near perfect condition. I had problems within a month of driving it. The default light for almost every system alarmed. After 4 visits I bought a new $170 battery which fixed all the problems BMW could not. Recently the transmission default light came on. BMW offered to fix it for $8200. Ridiculous!

Favorite Features

heads up display voice activated nav and entertainment

Suggested Improvements

Quit charging so much for service and parts.

The best I have driven
By leoklaus

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am currently driving a 530i. It is very reliable car and so far nothing has been changed or broken. Excellent handling and comfort. I love the car and every time I drive it, it is truly a superb experience. I am a one happy owner. Of course there is still a room for improvement ... M5.

Favorite Features

iDrive...yes I like it, I cannot understand why many people complain about it. It is simple to operate. I do not have to even look at the display. Rear wheel drive (racing abilities), of course not in the snow, I am not crazy.

Suggested Improvements

The built quality of interior features corresponds to its class. Overall everything is fine.

The best car for the buck - used
By dbbbbb

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th Bimmer, 2 530's, 1 325 - junk, and 1 X3 - junk... but the 530 is awesome. No problems with 50K, just normal wear and tear but the front control bushings needed replacing at 20K, engine is solid and performs gutsy for an I6, the comfort has so many option that you can't go wrong and the feel is sporty but luxurious, tight, but comfortable, tight as you want it, with all the variations in the seat controls, and all the controls are also on the passenger seat. After 2 yrs. I just found a new control for the back rest to tilt, huh, that was cool. I love the temp/ac/heat controls. You can out the screen on ac and watch the ventilation automatically fluctuate, get one!

Favorite Features

Idrive, temp control, steering, sport package handling,equalizer, reliability, and looks.

Suggested Improvements

none