2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Worst car I've ever owned. Beautiful looking but leaves you stranded.
By nickafan on 05/09/12 23:06 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The only thing this car has going for it is looks. The car is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion. I bought it with 70,000 miles and a month later, the car died. It needed a new battery and had $3,000 worth of oil leaks. My mechanic told me the oil leaks are standard maintenance on this BMW. A week later the car wouldn't start again & threw a check engine light. It needed a new thermostat, coolant, and MAF sensor. Two weeks later I discovered another oil leak at the oil pressure sensor! This is ridiculous. I've owned a 2006 Toyota from 0 miles all the way to 140,000+ miles and it never needed a new battery, never had oil leaks, never a check engine light, and it never left me stranded.

A dangerous LEMON
By RRand on 01/10/05 16:28 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I obtained this, my third BMW, with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the car was a lemon from an electrical standpoint with multiple problems from the start. The worst were that the heated seat burned through the seat leather and burned through my clothes and into my wallet which was all that saved me. Now the seat is under recall. Next the assisted steering system failed on the freeway. I have returned the car most unsatisfied!!

The best I have owned
By pathmd on 10/29/04 10:28 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Have owned my 545i for 2 weeks. Have Z3 and X5 as well. This car is a monster on the road. Zero to 60 in 5 seconds is no exaggeration. The car is tight, assisted steering is superb. Plenty of heads turn when the car passes. Found i-drive to be no problem - basic controls are still on the dash board. Mileage overall 19.4 mpg after 800 miles. Recommend buyers get the largest engine you can afford. Nothing about this car will disappoint you. Watch your speed. Esy to hit 85- 90 mph without noticing.

The best car in the world
By Tamra t on 09/01/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

This car has 200,000 miles on it and it runs like its brand new

great car
By marie reynolds on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

great vehicle. drives great. looks great

the best
By tjroseinc on 07/10/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

great fun to drive, lots of power, buttery smooth tranny, a real hot car, as close to 18 as I will ever get again, absolutely love it !!!!

Wowww!
By Geroge on 07/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I have a 545i with SMG and I wake up every morning wanting to get in the car. Acceleration, braking, suspension, huge balls!!!!! I can't wait for the M5

Sweet Engine
By brusstar on 06/26/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The sweet V-8 mated to the six-speed manual make this car great fun to drive, like a sports coupe but with a decent back seat. Many question the 2004 (E60) exterior styling in pictures, but in real life people agree it looks beautiful, and does not look like every other great sports sedan of the last ten years. It just takes a little time to master the i- Drive, and it really cleans up the dashboard (other reviewers seem to forget this design benefit).

WHAT A EXCELLENT CAR
By sade on 06/18/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I HAVE HAD NO PROBLEMS OUT OF MY CAR.NOW I GET LOOKS BECAUSE I WAS NOT GETTING LOOKS ON MY 98 NISSANN ALTIMA I JUST HAVE TO SAY AND GIVE IT AN EXCELLENT.

i didn't think they could make a better5
By rdavidml on 05/12/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Beautiful exaust note. Super accelleration of this very reliable and well tested 8 cylinder. Greatest feature with this engine is the active roll stabilization. no lean in hard curves. Very good workmanship as expected. I have had no problems with the electronics, incl. BMW phone.The large wheels/tires make the look of this car.