2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Unload it before the warranty expires !
By junkyard2 on 10/21/12 12:04 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 530i automatic with around 100K miles. First off DO NOT believe BMW that the Auto Trans fluid is "lifetime" fluid (mine was black in color) Theres no such thing. I used to do 100% of my maintenance until I bought this car. Had to have a shop do the trans ($840) I did the front brakes ($540) At around 115K it was one issue after another. At 117K at 75 mph the trans downshifts into 4th gear. The i-drive states that there is a trans malfunction code. Had the codes checked and the car was diagnosed with a bad trans. $4200 for a used one ! I loved driving the car and the mpg but WAY to expensive to maintain after warranty is out. I lost $4500 in the 7 months that I owned it !

Love / Hate
By Munro on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love and hate this car. the signalers still drive me nuts, there is no temperature gauge, cabin storage, can't set the radio because of the stupid I-Drive, cup holders from Hell, can't see the speedometer through the steering wheel, Setting the climate control is almost impossible (I-Drive again), Nothing about the controls is intuitive (I previously drove an Infiniti, which practically drove itself). That said, I have never driven a car that handles anywhere as well as this BMW 530i. Just give me an open road, a Valentine 1 radar detector and I am a very happy boy. I have owned this car for over 4 years and have no plans to trade or sell it. I hope to put another 100,000 miles on it!

Best certifed used car I have ever owned
By Norm on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I remember hearing the words "the ultimate driving experience" and I can tell you that my 2004 530i bought in 2007 with 19,138 miles on it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned....hands down! I have had no problems with this car and it drives effortlessly. Great gas mileage and fun to drive at high speeds.

Transmission fault
By daisy2 on 08/05/10 18:48 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission fault came on and then i have to stop in the middle of the road to restart for light would go off . This is the worst BMW ever the car only have 85k . and my friends has a kia with more miles and there no problems with his car even the BMW shop tried to fix the car but they fix the wrong thing, i hate i ever got this car

Great car but unexpected problems
By Fouad on 04/13/10 05:05 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new in 2004 and I still use it now. At first fule smell inside and dealer couldn't fix the problem till now also annoying sound from the roof like plates hitting 1. After 2 years I had to replace my suspension system for a cost of $2,200 (done by dealer) but I had to change all rft tyres because of that on my account for aboutt $2,400 2. After 3 years gearbox had to be replaced for a cost of around $7,000 (done by dealer) 3. After 4 years again I had suspension sys problem 4. Ac not cooling and compressor should be replaced for a cost of around $2,200 5. Oil level is always low according to computer screen but oil level is ok 6. Left front passenger window doesn't close any more

1st 5 Series
By Olson on 04/12/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car used, I adore this vehicle. I smile and actually giggle every time I click the door open. I have had a 3 series in the past and was hesitant about going to a car so much bigger. I was wrong. It handles like a demon when accelerating. The rear wheel drive in Wisconsin does require special care, but the way it conforms to me and the heated seats and steering wheel more than make up for it. I have every intention of holding on to this car for many years to come. The previous owner took such care of it, one would never believe it was used. Love, love this car, just pray it does not break in any way, expensive to fix.

The best I have driven
By leoklaus on 12/01/09 23:47 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I am currently driving a 530i. It is very reliable car and so far nothing has been changed or broken. Excellent handling and comfort. I love the car and every time I drive it, it is truly a superb experience. I am a one happy owner. Of course there is still a room for improvement ... M5.

The best car for the buck - used
By dbbbbb on 09/23/09 19:29 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

This is my 4th Bimmer, 2 530's, 1 325 - junk, and 1 X3 - junk... but the 530 is awesome. No problems with 50K, just normal wear and tear but the front control bushings needed replacing at 20K, engine is solid and performs gutsy for an I6, the comfort has so many option that you can't go wrong and the feel is sporty but luxurious, tight, but comfortable, tight as you want it, with all the variations in the seat controls, and all the controls are also on the passenger seat. After 2 yrs. I just found a new control for the back rest to tilt, huh, that was cool. I love the temp/ac/heat controls. You can out the screen on ac and watch the ventilation automatically fluctuate, get one!

A Great Car
By Skipper2 on 12/19/08 13:55 PM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased this car in 04 which was the initial build for the new style. I must say that I am very happy. It is now December of 2008 and I still love this car. I did purchase the extended warranty and service plan which covered me for 100,000 miles. I have not invested a penny in this car except tires at 80,000 miles and gas. There were some nuances with the programming at the beginning but they were taken care of for free. The ride comfort and handling are both great. As a matter of fact my wife purchased 2 3 series because of our love of my car. My wife and I also took the BMW Performance school and loved the performance. It was a rainy day and we were able to max out the performance.

E60 aka "Dire Wolf"
By SK Davis on 09/17/08 20:34 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

My first BMW, but not my last. I bought this car with 66k miles. Tight like a drum--no rattles, no issues, just a clean used car. Says something about design AND previous owner. The 5 is the touchstone of sports sedans. Responsive, tight, and the 3.0 is quick, but not impressively fast (nor is it meant to be). Sports package brings it all together. And the iDrive? Get over it, iDrive is convenient, easy, and keeps the dash layout clean and elegant. I recently did a 1000 mile trip with my wife, 3 kids, and a full trunk. 29 mpg @ 82 mph. Not bad. Could be better 'round town, though. Oh, and the color? Copper Metallic. Very cool.