Used 2004 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Buy the manual
By djlarroc

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Felt compelled to add my review since it is positive and most people complain. This is my 4th BMW (3rd 5 series). All have been manual. This is another great sedan. Has been very reliable. 3 years and 25k miles. Have only had to replace a coolant sensor (cheap/easy fix). The car gets amazin HWY MPG (34ish) City 20ish. Accelerates and handles amazing. RWD, and have been caught in a few CO snow storms, and got me home. It's also a very safe car. About the only cons, is the I-drive has scared me a few times where it did not turn on, then all of a sudden turned on. But as far as mechanically, another excellent BMW sedan.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, reliability.

Unload it before the warranty expires !
By junkyard2

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 530i automatic with around 100K miles. First off DO NOT believe BMW that the Auto Trans fluid is "lifetime" fluid (mine was black in color) Theres no such thing. I used to do 100% of my maintenance until I bought this car. Had to have a shop do the trans ($840) I did the front brakes ($540) At around 115K it was one issue after another. At 117K at 75 mph the trans downshifts into 4th gear. The i-drive states that there is a trans malfunction code. Had the codes checked and the car was diagnosed with a bad trans. $4200 for a used one ! I loved driving the car and the mpg but WAY to expensive to maintain after warranty is out. I lost $4500 in the 7 months that I owned it !

Favorite Features

Handling, I-Drive, Fuel Economy, Body Lines

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the front stink, Make more reliable ! Lower prices on genuine BMW parts would be nice

Love / Hate
By Munro

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love and hate this car. the signalers still drive me nuts, there is no temperature gauge, cabin storage, can't set the radio because of the stupid I-Drive, cup holders from Hell, can't see the speedometer through the steering wheel, Setting the climate control is almost impossible (I-Drive again), Nothing about the controls is intuitive (I previously drove an Infiniti, which practically drove itself). That said, I have never driven a car that handles anywhere as well as this BMW 530i. Just give me an open road, a Valentine 1 radar detector and I am a very happy boy. I have owned this car for over 4 years and have no plans to trade or sell it. I hope to put another 100,000 miles on it!

Favorite Features

The Handling! The design! say what you will about Chris Bangle, but nobody ever mistook an E60 BMW for anything else. Many other designers have borrowed Bangle's design cues, the BMW looks better every year.

Suggested Improvements

There should be some I-Drive training for those of us who bought used. the owners manual is very difficult to follow.

Best certifed used car I have ever owned
By Norm

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I remember hearing the words "the ultimate driving experience" and I can tell you that my 2004 530i bought in 2007 with 19,138 miles on it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned....hands down! I have had no problems with this car and it drives effortlessly. Great gas mileage and fun to drive at high speeds.

Favorite Features

Solid driving car, hardly any noise at any speed and exceptional gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Car should have a compass as standard equipment.

Transmission fault
By daisy2

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission fault came on and then i have to stop in the middle of the road to restart for light would go off . This is the worst BMW ever the car only have 85k . and my friends has a kia with more miles and there no problems with his car even the BMW shop tried to fix the car but they fix the wrong thing, i hate i ever got this car

Suggested Improvements

new car