Used 2004 BMW 5 Series 525i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I hate that I love this car so much!
By Jeff Allen

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2004 BMW 525 used with 28K miles in 2010 to be used as my commuter car. I can not stand the iDrive that BMW uses in this model year. The cup holders are officially the 10th level of hell. Tires and brakes are three times as expensive as a "normal" sedan. Repairs, though few and far between so far, are costly. Every few months I will shop around hoping to replace it, refusing to look at another BMW. Every couple of months I go test drive another round of models and makes that I cant bring myself to buy. I love my BMW! Nothing handles like it. Nothing performs like it! Nothing captivates the true essence of the drive like a BMW! Until i can find something better...

Handling, Performance, Agility, Design, Overall Engineering.

Cupholders for actual cups. iDrive that works.

Luxury!
By hand77

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first of many BMW's that I will own! This car's interior is amazing for a 2004! Heated everything, power everything! The iDrive wasn't too hard to figure out after a few weeks of owning. It doesn't save my presets to my radio, but that's fine I use my phone. There is no performance to this car, it is VERY slow, but the luxury makes up for it.

interior, headlights, styling, luxury

performance, radio

Not the best of best
By wmc

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

We purchased the 525i to replace a Q45t Infiniti. It is a different world. The BMW is much more sporty than the old pillow barge but it is not as comfortable on long road trips (we drive it to Seattle almost every year, ~ 3000 miles RT). I find the drivers seat small and cramped, although my wife likes it fine. Handling is good and the ride is adequate. The 4 year $0 maintenance is good and it was needed. A lot of small problems including a bad window motor, broken cup holders, dashboard computer replaced.

Spectacular gas mileage. Holding at 65 will give 38 mpg on the highway. Averaged 32 mpg over a 1000 mile trip. Solid handling on the road. Great trunk space.

The iDrive is awful, a product designed by engineers for engineers. Cup holders are flimsy and poorly placed. The center console is unusable.

Well, well, well
By Bimmamma

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I've had this car for three years now. Although, I really dig this car, I must say it really doesn't handle well in the snow. I've gotten stuck plenty in the snow over the last three years. BMW needs to do something about better winter performance or I will be forced to purchase other vehicles and leave Bimmers alone completely. I can't believe I said that but my safety and well-being come first. My neighbor has a Chevy Cobalt and it gets around better in the snow than my Bimmer EVER could. BMW better think of customer safety if they want my continued business!

Still like the lights most of all.

Better performance in the winter/snow or it's a Chevy for me.

This is not what you want to buy
By Ray Vega

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I don't know what's going on with this cars. The noise inside my car is never ending. We brought it to the dealer several times to replace the seals on the four doors. Acceleration is very, very, extremely poor in the 525i. You can not pass a car in the city and mine is standard transm. My a/c always smells so bad that I always prefer driving with my windows down... for the price you pay? No way! This is a 40K car! I drive very poor.

Sirius radio, cornering, front HID lights.

Door seals (please) acceleration! iDrive!