Used 2004 BMW 5 Series 545i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Worst car I've ever owned. Beautiful looking but leaves you stranded.
By nickafan

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The only thing this car has going for it is looks. The car is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion. I bought it with 70,000 miles and a month later, the car died. It needed a new battery and had $3,000 worth of oil leaks. My mechanic told me the oil leaks are standard maintenance on this BMW. A week later the car wouldn't start again & threw a check engine light. It needed a new thermostat, coolant, and MAF sensor. Two weeks later I discovered another oil leak at the oil pressure sensor! This is ridiculous. I've owned a 2006 Toyota from 0 miles all the way to 140,000+ miles and it never needed a new battery, never had oil leaks, never a check engine light, and it never left me stranded.

The exterior design is great, the leather and interior looks nice making you want to buy the car, and the iDrive is very cool. The car is quick and drives nicely when it's actually running.

A car that doesn't break down every week before it reaches 100,000 miles. If you're buying a "nice expensive car" shouldn't it last up to 200,000 miles like "cheap" Toyota's and Honda's do?

A dangerous LEMON
By RRand

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

I obtained this, my third BMW, with enthusiasm. Unfortunately, the car was a lemon from an electrical standpoint with multiple problems from the start. The worst were that the heated seat burned through the seat leather and burned through my clothes and into my wallet which was all that saved me. Now the seat is under recall. Next the assisted steering system failed on the freeway. I have returned the car most unsatisfied!!

The electrical systems need major improvement because mine created dangerous risks to me and others

The best I have owned
By pathmd

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Have owned my 545i for 2 weeks. Have Z3 and X5 as well. This car is a monster on the road. Zero to 60 in 5 seconds is no exaggeration. The car is tight, assisted steering is superb. Plenty of heads turn when the car passes. Found i-drive to be no problem - basic controls are still on the dash board. Mileage overall 19.4 mpg after 800 miles. Recommend buyers get the largest engine you can afford. Nothing about this car will disappoint you. Watch your speed. Esy to hit 85- 90 mph without noticing.

Exterior styling makes this car like nothing else on the road. Engine and steering with sports package. Sound system is awesome. Backup warning is great. Transmission is excellent.

Have noticed that vapor control shuts off prematurely and repeatedly when fueling. Has happened at several different stations. Need better cup holder for driver.

The best car in the world
By Tamra t

This car has 200,000 miles on it and it runs like its brand new

Everything

no improvments

the best
By tjroseinc

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

great fun to drive, lots of power, buttery smooth tranny, a real hot car, as close to 18 as I will ever get again, absolutely love it !!!!

engine, tranny, comfort

a little more places to put personal stuff for driver...cup holders a little weak