Used 2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

I hate that I love this car so much!
By Jeff Allen

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

I purchased my 2004 BMW 525 used with 28K miles in 2010 to be used as my commuter car. I can not stand the iDrive that BMW uses in this model year. The cup holders are officially the 10th level of hell. Tires and brakes are three times as expensive as a "normal" sedan. Repairs, though few and far between so far, are costly. Every few months I will shop around hoping to replace it, refusing to look at another BMW. Every couple of months I go test drive another round of models and makes that I cant bring myself to buy. I love my BMW! Nothing handles like it. Nothing performs like it! Nothing captivates the true essence of the drive like a BMW! Until i can find something better...

Handling, Performance, Agility, Design, Overall Engineering.

Cupholders for actual cups. iDrive that works.

Buy the manual
By djlarroc

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Felt compelled to add my review since it is positive and most people complain. This is my 4th BMW (3rd 5 series). All have been manual. This is another great sedan. Has been very reliable. 3 years and 25k miles. Have only had to replace a coolant sensor (cheap/easy fix). The car gets amazin HWY MPG (34ish) City 20ish. Accelerates and handles amazing. RWD, and have been caught in a few CO snow storms, and got me home. It's also a very safe car. About the only cons, is the I-drive has scared me a few times where it did not turn on, then all of a sudden turned on. But as far as mechanically, another excellent BMW sedan.

Styling, handling, reliability.

Luxury!
By hand77

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first of many BMW's that I will own! This car's interior is amazing for a 2004! Heated everything, power everything! The iDrive wasn't too hard to figure out after a few weeks of owning. It doesn't save my presets to my radio, but that's fine I use my phone. There is no performance to this car, it is VERY slow, but the luxury makes up for it.

interior, headlights, styling, luxury

performance, radio

Unload it before the warranty expires !
By junkyard2

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 530i automatic with around 100K miles. First off DO NOT believe BMW that the Auto Trans fluid is "lifetime" fluid (mine was black in color) Theres no such thing. I used to do 100% of my maintenance until I bought this car. Had to have a shop do the trans ($840) I did the front brakes ($540) At around 115K it was one issue after another. At 117K at 75 mph the trans downshifts into 4th gear. The i-drive states that there is a trans malfunction code. Had the codes checked and the car was diagnosed with a bad trans. $4200 for a used one ! I loved driving the car and the mpg but WAY to expensive to maintain after warranty is out. I lost $4500 in the 7 months that I owned it !

Handling, I-Drive, Fuel Economy, Body Lines

Cup holders in the front stink, Make more reliable ! Lower prices on genuine BMW parts would be nice

2004 BMW 545i (AUTO) amazing quality, amazing car!
By flcarfanatic

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is one amazing vehicle! Everyone that complains about this car obviously does not or can not afford to do regular maintenance. If this is your case maybe you should go buy a KIA or Hyundai. I have owned many performance vehicles from many different car brands but the quality can not compare to my 2004 BMW 545i. Acura GSR coupe - 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2007 Honda Civic SI coupe - 2008 My car now has 118,000 miles and I drive it every single day. I do not push the car hard to its performance limits, I just simply put a lot of miles on it and it takes care of me. BMW's and this 545i is truly the ultimate driving machine.

2004 BMW 545i Automatic 1. 4.4 liter V8 motor 2. 6 Speed automatic transmission 3. Xenon headlights 4. Dual zone climate control 5. Build quality 6. Extremely comfortable seating 7. Well thought out interior cabin 8. I-Drive computer system 9. Rain sensing windshield wiper system 10. Huge trunk 11. The way this car looks!