2004 BMW 5 Series 525i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

Buy the manual
By djlarroc

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Felt compelled to add my review since it is positive and most people complain. This is my 4th BMW (3rd 5 series). All have been manual. This is another great sedan. Has been very reliable. 3 years and 25k miles. Have only had to replace a coolant sensor (cheap/easy fix). The car gets amazin HWY MPG (34ish) City 20ish. Accelerates and handles amazing. RWD, and have been caught in a few CO snow storms, and got me home. It's also a very safe car. About the only cons, is the I-drive has scared me a few times where it did not turn on, then all of a sudden turned on. But as far as mechanically, another excellent BMW sedan.

Favorite Features

Styling, handling, reliability.

Luxury!
By hand77

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first of many BMW's that I will own! This car's interior is amazing for a 2004! Heated everything, power everything! The iDrive wasn't too hard to figure out after a few weeks of owning. It doesn't save my presets to my radio, but that's fine I use my phone. There is no performance to this car, it is VERY slow, but the luxury makes up for it.

Favorite Features

interior, headlights, styling, luxury

Suggested Improvements

performance, radio

Unload it before the warranty expires !
By junkyard2

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 530i automatic with around 100K miles. First off DO NOT believe BMW that the Auto Trans fluid is "lifetime" fluid (mine was black in color) Theres no such thing. I used to do 100% of my maintenance until I bought this car. Had to have a shop do the trans ($840) I did the front brakes ($540) At around 115K it was one issue after another. At 117K at 75 mph the trans downshifts into 4th gear. The i-drive states that there is a trans malfunction code. Had the codes checked and the car was diagnosed with a bad trans. $4200 for a used one ! I loved driving the car and the mpg but WAY to expensive to maintain after warranty is out. I lost $4500 in the 7 months that I owned it !

Favorite Features

Handling, I-Drive, Fuel Economy, Body Lines

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders in the front stink, Make more reliable ! Lower prices on genuine BMW parts would be nice

2004 BMW 545i (AUTO) amazing quality, amazing car!
By flcarfanatic

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is one amazing vehicle! Everyone that complains about this car obviously does not or can not afford to do regular maintenance. If this is your case maybe you should go buy a KIA or Hyundai. I have owned many performance vehicles from many different car brands but the quality can not compare to my 2004 BMW 545i. Acura GSR coupe - 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2007 Honda Civic SI coupe - 2008 My car now has 118,000 miles and I drive it every single day. I do not push the car hard to its performance limits, I just simply put a lot of miles on it and it takes care of me. BMW's and this 545i is truly the ultimate driving machine.

Favorite Features

2004 BMW 545i Automatic 1. 4.4 liter V8 motor 2. 6 Speed automatic transmission 3. Xenon headlights 4. Dual zone climate control 5. Build quality 6. Extremely comfortable seating 7. Well thought out interior cabin 8. I-Drive computer system 9. Rain sensing windshield wiper system 10. Huge trunk 11. The way this car looks!

Worst car I've ever owned. Beautiful looking but leaves you stranded.
By nickafan

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The only thing this car has going for it is looks. The car is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion. I bought it with 70,000 miles and a month later, the car died. It needed a new battery and had $3,000 worth of oil leaks. My mechanic told me the oil leaks are standard maintenance on this BMW. A week later the car wouldn't start again & threw a check engine light. It needed a new thermostat, coolant, and MAF sensor. Two weeks later I discovered another oil leak at the oil pressure sensor! This is ridiculous. I've owned a 2006 Toyota from 0 miles all the way to 140,000+ miles and it never needed a new battery, never had oil leaks, never a check engine light, and it never left me stranded.

Favorite Features

The exterior design is great, the leather and interior looks nice making you want to buy the car, and the iDrive is very cool. The car is quick and drives nicely when it's actually running.

Suggested Improvements

A car that doesn't break down every week before it reaches 100,000 miles. If you're buying a "nice expensive car" shouldn't it last up to 200,000 miles like "cheap" Toyota's and Honda's do?

Love / Hate
By Munro

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love and hate this car. the signalers still drive me nuts, there is no temperature gauge, cabin storage, can't set the radio because of the stupid I-Drive, cup holders from Hell, can't see the speedometer through the steering wheel, Setting the climate control is almost impossible (I-Drive again), Nothing about the controls is intuitive (I previously drove an Infiniti, which practically drove itself). That said, I have never driven a car that handles anywhere as well as this BMW 530i. Just give me an open road, a Valentine 1 radar detector and I am a very happy boy. I have owned this car for over 4 years and have no plans to trade or sell it. I hope to put another 100,000 miles on it!

Favorite Features

The Handling! The design! say what you will about Chris Bangle, but nobody ever mistook an E60 BMW for anything else. Many other designers have borrowed Bangle's design cues, the BMW looks better every year.

Suggested Improvements

There should be some I-Drive training for those of us who bought used. the owners manual is very difficult to follow.

Best certifed used car I have ever owned
By Norm

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I remember hearing the words "the ultimate driving experience" and I can tell you that my 2004 530i bought in 2007 with 19,138 miles on it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned....hands down! I have had no problems with this car and it drives effortlessly. Great gas mileage and fun to drive at high speeds.

Favorite Features

Solid driving car, hardly any noise at any speed and exceptional gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Car should have a compass as standard equipment.

Feels like wind on wheels
By jdman10

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car at a great price after someone took the hit of depreciation. I have never been more pleased with a car. The only problem I had with the car is the SES light came on after 2 months, gave me a P0102 code. Changed the MAF sensor for $150 and it hasn't complained till now. Dealer wanted 400 bucks for a 10 minute job. Can be expensive to fix, but well worth it if you can afford it. The car handles awesome and you are always under control, even when you think you are not. The engine is smooth and surprisingly quiet. I have low profile performance tires and road noise from them is way louder. I usually change my car every year, but i think this one is gonna be with me for a while.

Favorite Features

I like the i-drive. Styling Driving it feels right.

Suggested Improvements

As always, cup holders are useless. Traction control is a bit too aggressive. Engine temperature gauge required, the car is a portable garage heater after a drive.

Transmission fault
By daisy2

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission fault came on and then i have to stop in the middle of the road to restart for light would go off . This is the worst BMW ever the car only have 85k . and my friends has a kia with more miles and there no problems with his car even the BMW shop tried to fix the car but they fix the wrong thing, i hate i ever got this car

Suggested Improvements

new car

Great car but unexpected problems
By Fouad

2004 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new in 2004 and I still use it now. At first fule smell inside and dealer couldn't fix the problem till now also annoying sound from the roof like plates hitting 1. After 2 years I had to replace my suspension system for a cost of $2,200 (done by dealer) but I had to change all rft tyres because of that on my account for aboutt $2,400 2. After 3 years gearbox had to be replaced for a cost of around $7,000 (done by dealer) 3. After 4 years again I had suspension sys problem 4. Ac not cooling and compressor should be replaced for a cost of around $2,200 5. Oil level is always low according to computer screen but oil level is ok 6. Left front passenger window doesn't close any more

Favorite Features

nice sporty exterior looking and real fun to drive, handling, accelerating, breaking, it's enjoyable when you don't face fixing and replacing parts

Suggested Improvements

1. RFT tyres are very bad idea each time u need to change a tire it costs around $600 2. give it more useful space in the interior i didn't find any space for my mobile, pen, papers, and the side console is really tight 3. bmw should make a car to last for at least 10 years without problems !!