2004 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Luxury!
By hand77 on 12/14/12 03:51 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 6M)

This is the first of many BMW's that I will own! This car's interior is amazing for a 2004! Heated everything, power everything! The iDrive wasn't too hard to figure out after a few weeks of owning. It doesn't save my presets to my radio, but that's fine I use my phone. There is no performance to this car, it is VERY slow, but the luxury makes up for it.

Unload it before the warranty expires !
By junkyard2 on 10/21/12 12:04 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I bought my 530i automatic with around 100K miles. First off DO NOT believe BMW that the Auto Trans fluid is "lifetime" fluid (mine was black in color) Theres no such thing. I used to do 100% of my maintenance until I bought this car. Had to have a shop do the trans ($840) I did the front brakes ($540) At around 115K it was one issue after another. At 117K at 75 mph the trans downshifts into 4th gear. The i-drive states that there is a trans malfunction code. Had the codes checked and the car was diagnosed with a bad trans. $4200 for a used one ! I loved driving the car and the mpg but WAY to expensive to maintain after warranty is out. I lost $4500 in the 7 months that I owned it !

2004 BMW 545i (AUTO) amazing quality, amazing car!
By flcarfanatic on 06/03/12 04:20 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

This is one amazing vehicle! Everyone that complains about this car obviously does not or can not afford to do regular maintenance. If this is your case maybe you should go buy a KIA or Hyundai. I have owned many performance vehicles from many different car brands but the quality can not compare to my 2004 BMW 545i. Acura GSR coupe - 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 - 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe - 2007 Honda Civic SI coupe - 2008 My car now has 118,000 miles and I drive it every single day. I do not push the car hard to its performance limits, I just simply put a lot of miles on it and it takes care of me. BMW's and this 545i is truly the ultimate driving machine.

Worst car I've ever owned. Beautiful looking but leaves you stranded.
By nickafan on 05/09/12 23:06 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

The only thing this car has going for it is looks. The car is a worthless piece of crap in my opinion. I bought it with 70,000 miles and a month later, the car died. It needed a new battery and had $3,000 worth of oil leaks. My mechanic told me the oil leaks are standard maintenance on this BMW. A week later the car wouldn't start again & threw a check engine light. It needed a new thermostat, coolant, and MAF sensor. Two weeks later I discovered another oil leak at the oil pressure sensor! This is ridiculous. I've owned a 2006 Toyota from 0 miles all the way to 140,000+ miles and it never needed a new battery, never had oil leaks, never a check engine light, and it never left me stranded.

Love / Hate
By Munro on 11/28/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I love and hate this car. the signalers still drive me nuts, there is no temperature gauge, cabin storage, can't set the radio because of the stupid I-Drive, cup holders from Hell, can't see the speedometer through the steering wheel, Setting the climate control is almost impossible (I-Drive again), Nothing about the controls is intuitive (I previously drove an Infiniti, which practically drove itself). That said, I have never driven a car that handles anywhere as well as this BMW 530i. Just give me an open road, a Valentine 1 radar detector and I am a very happy boy. I have owned this car for over 4 years and have no plans to trade or sell it. I hope to put another 100,000 miles on it!

Best certifed used car I have ever owned
By Norm on 11/21/10 00:00 AM (PST)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

I remember hearing the words "the ultimate driving experience" and I can tell you that my 2004 530i bought in 2007 with 19,138 miles on it has been the best vehicle I have ever owned....hands down! I have had no problems with this car and it drives effortlessly. Great gas mileage and fun to drive at high speeds.

Feels like wind on wheels
By jdman10 on 09/01/10 03:06 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 545i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6A)

I bought this car at a great price after someone took the hit of depreciation. I have never been more pleased with a car. The only problem I had with the car is the SES light came on after 2 months, gave me a P0102 code. Changed the MAF sensor for $150 and it hasn't complained till now. Dealer wanted 400 bucks for a 10 minute job. Can be expensive to fix, but well worth it if you can afford it. The car handles awesome and you are always under control, even when you think you are not. The engine is smooth and surprisingly quiet. I have low profile performance tires and road noise from them is way louder. I usually change my car every year, but i think this one is gonna be with me for a while.

Transmission fault
By daisy2 on 08/05/10 18:48 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Transmission fault came on and then i have to stop in the middle of the road to restart for light would go off . This is the worst BMW ever the car only have 85k . and my friends has a kia with more miles and there no problems with his car even the BMW shop tried to fix the car but they fix the wrong thing, i hate i ever got this car

Great car but unexpected problems
By Fouad on 04/13/10 05:05 AM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought brand new in 2004 and I still use it now. At first fule smell inside and dealer couldn't fix the problem till now also annoying sound from the roof like plates hitting 1. After 2 years I had to replace my suspension system for a cost of $2,200 (done by dealer) but I had to change all rft tyres because of that on my account for aboutt $2,400 2. After 3 years gearbox had to be replaced for a cost of around $7,000 (done by dealer) 3. After 4 years again I had suspension sys problem 4. Ac not cooling and compressor should be replaced for a cost of around $2,200 5. Oil level is always low according to computer screen but oil level is ok 6. Left front passenger window doesn't close any more

1st 5 Series
By Olson on 04/12/10 12:57 PM (PDT)

2004 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this car used, I adore this vehicle. I smile and actually giggle every time I click the door open. I have had a 3 series in the past and was hesitant about going to a car so much bigger. I was wrong. It handles like a demon when accelerating. The rear wheel drive in Wisconsin does require special care, but the way it conforms to me and the heated seats and steering wheel more than make up for it. I have every intention of holding on to this car for many years to come. The previous owner took such care of it, one would never believe it was used. Love, love this car, just pray it does not break in any way, expensive to fix.