2003 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: My BMW journey started in 1980

2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

My BMW journey started in 1980
By Bill in Nashville on

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

at the age of 17. The father of a close friend of mine purchased a 1980 528i and was kind enough to on occasion let me drive it. The experiences driving that car ignited a passion for German automobiles that I have today some 26 years later. For various reasons though I have never owned a BMW... until last week. Test driving the 525i last week was like traveling back in time. From the distinct engine sound and scent of BMW leather to the almost identical cockpit like instruments I was hooked all over again... this time, though, a picture on the fridge wouldn't do. BMW engineers developed decades ago a sensory attacking machine that words cannot describe - one must drive it to understand it.

Favorite Features

All of the pleasant engineering surprises that are discovered by reading the owners manual. The unbelievable feel of this car on interstate. Control under hard braking. The timeless shark like look from the front.

Suggested Improvements

Exterior door handles that look and feel like they used to... German. Lack of storage space (slide forward center console could have easily been used for storage).