2003 BMW 5 Series 2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual Consumer Review - Great car when not in

2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

Great car when not in shop
By mathwonk on

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is beautiful comfortable powerful solidly made and enjoyable. The only problem is I am a longtime Honda owner. I admit a Honda does not compare in acceleration, stopping power, beauty or safety to this BMW, but on the other hand, essentially nothing ever goes wrong on a Honda either, and that has me spoiled. The beemer was in the shop at least 7 times for a leak that occurred in any hard rain, and has only been ok in that department since the drought made rain less common. Two days ago my wife was driving down the highway and the wheels locked up at 50 mph and refused to roll. She skidded to a stop in the road and could not even get into the breakdown lane.

Favorite Features

Solid safe feel on the road, and best ever stopping power of the brakes. Great front visibility (but poor backwards visibility).

Suggested Improvements

Don't design the rainwater to pass through the door before exiting the car. Tell people honestly that the car needs more oil changes than just the free ones. As everyone knows the cupholders are the worst in the industry. But the car is so wonderful when working right, I am tempted buy another.