Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Solid performer
By SC owner

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car with a strong luxury feel. I've owned the car about a year and driven it about 7,000 miles. I did have to replace the thermostat since I kept getting a service engine light. Another problem is missing pixels in my instrument display and radio display. This required replacing the instrument cluster and the MID display. Electronic parts are very expensive ($1600). Since the car was out of warranty, I wrote to BMW to see if they would assist with the repairs and they said they would. Put me in the BMW good will program and agreed to pay for the parts if I paid the labor. Good deal for me, nearly $2000 worth of repairs for less than $175.

Favorite Features

Engine, smooth shifting transmission. Amazing acceleration for a sedan when you pull out to pass traffic. Ride is comfortable over rough roads, despite having the sport package. Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Decent cup holders. Be nice to have a center console storage compartment.

BMW 530i - You gotta drive one!
By diggertoo

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in great condition. The suspension system is incredible. The car feels like it's glued to the road and is the smoothest and most comfortable riding car I've ever driven. With a bad disk in my back, the lumbar system can be adjusted to make even longer trips very comfortable. The air vents in the dash provide circulation throughout the car, without hitting anyone directly in the face. And the sound system... if you close your eyes you would swear you were live at a concert. The sound system with 10 speakers and 2 subwoofers is that good and the list of other useful features could go on and on.

Favorite Features

Suspension and handling; stereo system.

Best of the best
By blues55555

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The E39 style 5 series is a great mixture of classic BMW styling with modern technology. The later E39s (2001-2003) benefit from an upgrade to xenon headlights (with angel eyes), LED tail lights, steering wheel, and other cosmetic pieces. The V8 in the 540i is very quick for a mid-sized sedan. The quality of materials inside the cabin are top-notch. I could not be happier with this purchase. It is a lot of fun to drive. You read about people complaining about cup holders all the time, but I could care less about that. I don't think BMW is designing their cars for the Starbucks or Slurpee crowd. These cars are meant to be driven at fairly high speeds on the Autobahn. No car is perfect, but the 540i is close!

Favorite Features

Performance. High quality materials inside and out. Styling.

2003 540i - Ultimate Driving Machine!!!
By J.J.

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

If you're like me, and don't like what BMW has done to the interior of the new 5 series than you'll love the 540i. It's still a "driver's" car with the interior cantered to the one behind the wheel. Having just purchased a pre-owned with relatively low miles this car is going to be a collector's car someday. It's the last of a BMW classic. The thick steering wheel in the M sports package add to the 540i's overall handeling and driving sensation. The engine is more than enough and commands repect even amongst it's peers. Fun, superb road handling, saftey and style define everything that has built BMW to what it is today. If you're not into the new look and confusing iDrive, the 540i is it!

Favorite Features

Thick steering wheel, V-8 engine, smooth engine & transmission, solid handling and driving is simply fun. Cantered driver's cockpit and the M sports package. This car has it all and will become a classic in time.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders. Even aftermarket cupholders are flimsy. It's actually helped to keep my interior looking cleaner though as I tend not to eat or drink in my car as much. Hey we still have to look at the bright side.

I've had my 530i almost a year
By Charles Henke

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 530i is my second BMW. This automobile is not only stylish but comfortable and fun to drive. It is an excellent road vehicle that gets reasonably good gas mileage. Quality in workmanship throughout the vehicle is exceptional. Some of the dash controls are somewhat confusing, however.

Favorite Features

Rain-sensing wipers, memory seat setting, audio system, large fuel tank.

Suggested Improvements

Relocate cup holders for more efficient use as they are practically unusable as designed.