2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Wonderful at its best
By roy on 06/13/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car changes driving from a chore to a pleasure even ruffle your composure. the sound system is great, the insulation keeps out road noise, the seat is comfortable, and the luxury inlay is beautiful. The moonroof is fun, and the remote control key system makes you feel like a spoiled rich man. Unfortunately it has been to the dealer for repairs 10 times in under 2 years, and some of the problems, like water leaking through the back door are serious. After initially being totally in love with this car, I have begun to wonder if I would be foolish ever to buy another one.

Best Performance Sedan
By Antonio Valla on 01/11/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. I had numerous VW's (GTI, 2 Passats, New Beetle), and a BMW 325i Touring, but always lusted after the "5". When I realized the 2004 was going to get the Chris Bangle treatment, I went out and bought one of the last 2003 available.

Not My Last Beemer
By macjanum on 11/24/04 20:52 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is absolutely the best all-around automobile I have ever owned or leased, including Mercedes. Superb reliability, comfort, handling, performance, safety. All I have added was an Alpine CD-changer and all- weather rubber floor mats. Forget the cup holders and drive! The 530iA has met or exceeded all of my expectations and disposal value remains high. This was my first BMW - I don't think it will be my last.

So glad I don't have an '04 or '05
By TK540iA on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third E39 model 540, and is clearly the best one I've owned. The 540iA Sport package is a dream to drive, handles and rides like a champ, and does NOT have the I-drive or the Chris Bangle inspired ugly ass styling of the new 5 and now middle aged 7 series. I originally leased the car, assuming that I'd love the new 5 series, but have now decided that I will buy the vehicle once the lease expires. If you are in the market for a 5 series, find yourself an E39 and you won't be unhappy.

My 540ia experience
By opptheman on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

First let me mention that I previously owned a 1997 740il since 9-2001. After taking out a 540i on a test drive back in April, I knew I had to have one. A 528, 525 or 530 may look like a 540 but believe me that 8 cylinder makes a world of a difference. Beware that dealers seemed to charge a premium for this car so I lucked out and found a private owner selling a 2003 for a tad bit more than the dealer wanted for a 2001. The car drives like a dream, corners on a rail and is lightening fast and silky smooth. It's also a conservative clean cut look so most people won't have a clue of how sporty it really is. My 740 drove great too but didn't respond in turns and wasn't nearly as quick.

530I Comments
By Big Dawg on 09/23/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is an incredible vehicle. Highly recommend it! Only critique is the flimsy cupholders. Best vehicle I've ever had.

Love My Beamer 530i
By C Juhl on 08/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Drove this car out of the dealers and have never gone back except for nomal upkeep/manitenance and that has been only once since I got it. I simply have no complaints. I've owned more than twenty cars and have never had a better one than this 530i. My dealer told me the in line 3.0 liter engine was made for car. After nearly 18 months of driving it, I believe it. Driving machine is really on target for this car.

No complaints
By texbmw on 08/03/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

By far the best driving car I have ever owned. I test drove both an E- 500 and the 540 and the two can't compare from a performance standpoint. The Merc is more luxurious but the BMW has the best driving experience hands down.

No Real Complaints
By 4 Time Owner on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is the third 5 Series I've owned, and they keep on getting better. The extra low end torque compared to the previous 528 version is noticable. It still handles like no other mid-size sedan, and I've test driven all of them. If you enjoy precise road feel, steering, braking and cornering, this is the car to own.

Great Car
By Anthony H Jessen Jr on 07/31/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Was able to get in on the factory incentives at the last minute and find the model I wanted. This car is esentially eveything I wanted in a sprots sedan.