Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

After its fifth birthday
By dmotzev

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just recently, I happened to trade in a six months old Japanese coupe for this 5 year old German saloon. What a difference! This is my first personal BMW and although it has almost 60000 miles on it, it feels tight and responsive. In fact, I test drove an E60 530i before I bought this one, but it just did not feel right. The combination of the M Sport package, the Premium package and the manual transmission creates an extremely convenient, yet amazingly looking everyday driver. Navigation is handy, but costs money to keep up-to-date. If you prefer adrenaline pumped driving, better look for a 540i/M5, but if you do not require extreme performance, you are going to love this car!

The manual transmission, Xenon headlights, DSC, M Sport Package, ingenious part engineering (incredibly easy servicing of the vehicle), excellent fuel economy (for its class).

A way to prevent the annoying pebbles from entering behind the front brakes heat shields?

Performance with a Price
By Bill

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just a splendid, intoxicating driving experience that had the hair on my head tingling for the first 2 months that I drove... BUT, OMG tires wore out at 15K, stabilizer bar, computer problems, display board problems surfaced at 3 yrs. $5K in repairs later (out of warranty on the listed items) and a few other "normal" expensive repairs and I am ready to sell it for a more reliable performance vehicle. Just frustrating to have to endure the financial and disappointing pain a $50,000 car should NOT give you. Be cautious when you purchase this one.

Fit and finish of the car. Handling, performance, style.

Solid and Nimble
By davethewave

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very good build quality and performance. 93K and still no rattles, but rotors and heater are sounding worn out. Had computer chip go out under warranty, so reliability is not as good as expected for car at this price level. Dealer service was inconvenient. I have no regrets, but I would probably not buy another one new - mainly because I live too far from a dealer, and I don't like the new 5-series styling and high price.

Engine response, steering and handling - the German driving feel is addicting. Gas mileage of 28 mpg is great for this class of car.

Increase number of qualified service centers to perform warranty work. Reduce the road noise during normal driving.

Electronic Problems
By seabreez

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We picked up A CPO 530i just off of lease. Records were clean & initially car lived up to the BMW standards. 3 months in the electrical system started going haywire (sensors) & has been a pain ever since. It has gotten to the point I contacted the CEO of BMWAG in Germany. Very disappointed they threw it back on dealer. It is the mfg. fault, not the dealer. At present working with dealer to roll out into another. Dealer is being very helpful & I hope for a resolution soon. Other than this the car is what you expect from a BMW.

What a great ride. Try turning off the ADC & take a corner. What a difference. The car is a pleasure to drive. The only problem I have is keeping an eye on the speed! The ride is so smooth. Also the handling in inclement weather is flawless. Also I am alive today because of the dgn. of BMW

Cup holders!

Still love this car after 5 years
By Tom Mager

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This has been a great car. Fun to drive, fast, extremely comfortable (the sport seats are wonderful for me - the only car I can drive for hours with no lower back pain), very reliable, and looks great. With the 6-speed manual transmission, I also get decent mileage considering the size and power of this car - 21 in mixed city/hwy, and mid-to-high 20s in all hwy driving. BMW makes some very nice cars but I don't see a new one I would trade this car for.

M-Package with 18-inch wheels look great and make handling excellent. Sporty, understated styling. 6- speed makes it fun to drive. Solid, high quality feel.

None - I have the aftermarket cup holder that hooks into side of console.