2003 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews 7

2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Ultimate Addiction
By Daniel on 10/31/05 13:43 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 5 Series (E39) is great - its a pleasure to drive; I have on several ocassions got into the car - not because I had somewhere to go, but because I wanted to drive that baby. Cornering is amazing, the aggressive suspension will hug hairpin turns, body roll is almost non existent, I feel safe accelerating through the turns; and what's more even my passengers feel secure, the brakes stop the E39 so quickly you have to watch your rear view mirrors because not many cars will stop as effectively. Key in ignition and the car recalls my preset steering, mirror and seat positions; Yes! It's my car!! Almost aero road noise. At night the orange cock-pit lighting is just right. Well done BMW, kudos.

Highly Recommended
By John on 08/24/05 09:49 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Love this car... what a sweet ride. It handles very well despite the 3800 lbs, interior is perfect away from the useless cupholders, sport package is great. Be careful & watch the speedometer, you'll think you're doing 65 & really be doing 105.

When driving is fun
By Himself on 06/16/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Easily the finest sport sedan I have ever driven. Amazing performance and very responsive. It goes precisely where you point it - so pay attention all the time! Soft high performance tires last 23000 miles in my car, but its worth it. Four hours of driving with a brief stop at two hours - and no low back misery. Must watch out for speed - it will cruise at 80 mph with no noise, total control and plenty left to go much faster. (Don't do it!) This car has prevented at least two accidents for me - erratic driver (drunk?), and multi vehicle crash on LA freeway. What I love is how much control the driver enjoys and the high level comfort. Cup holders shouldn't be used. Enjoy!

Wonderful at its best
By roy on 06/13/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car changes driving from a chore to a pleasure even ruffle your composure. the sound system is great, the insulation keeps out road noise, the seat is comfortable, and the luxury inlay is beautiful. The moonroof is fun, and the remote control key system makes you feel like a spoiled rich man. Unfortunately it has been to the dealer for repairs 10 times in under 2 years, and some of the problems, like water leaking through the back door are serious. After initially being totally in love with this car, I have begun to wonder if I would be foolish ever to buy another one.

Best value in the BMW line
By OC dude on 02/24/05 14:47 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car as a demo with 7000 miles on it. Paid $37000 for a fully loaded car w/ every possible option. The 2.5 engine surprise me with its get up and go, especially if it's put in Sport Mode. I've had 4 adults in this car and still drive great with wonderful acceleration on the on-ramp. Build-quality is much better compared to my 2004 330Ci; definitely a step up from the 3-series. This car's interior is timeless compared to the spartan design of the new 5 series; quality of material and leather seeems to be of better quality; compare it for yourself and save yourself a whole lotta money by buying the previous generation 5.

Best Performance Sedan
By Antonio Valla on 01/11/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. I had numerous VW's (GTI, 2 Passats, New Beetle), and a BMW 325i Touring, but always lusted after the "5". When I realized the 2004 was going to get the Chris Bangle treatment, I went out and bought one of the last 2003 available.

Not My Last Beemer
By macjanum on 11/24/04 20:52 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is absolutely the best all-around automobile I have ever owned or leased, including Mercedes. Superb reliability, comfort, handling, performance, safety. All I have added was an Alpine CD-changer and all- weather rubber floor mats. Forget the cup holders and drive! The 530iA has met or exceeded all of my expectations and disposal value remains high. This was my first BMW - I don't think it will be my last.

So glad I don't have an '04 or '05
By TK540iA on 10/29/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is my third E39 model 540, and is clearly the best one I've owned. The 540iA Sport package is a dream to drive, handles and rides like a champ, and does NOT have the I-drive or the Chris Bangle inspired ugly ass styling of the new 5 and now middle aged 7 series. I originally leased the car, assuming that I'd love the new 5 series, but have now decided that I will buy the vehicle once the lease expires. If you are in the market for a 5 series, find yourself an E39 and you won't be unhappy.

Great car but get extended warranty
By dcdriver on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 525 wagon new at the end of 2001, and it has been a great experience on the whole. The car is a joy to drive. It has also turned out to be practical for a family with young kids and a dog, and there is little that you can fit in an SUV that can't be coaxed into the back of this wagon. Our only complaint is that some of the electronics and interior fittings are not wearing well. Both of the front power seats have already failed, the stereo has had to be replaced, and numerous plastic fittings have fallen off. Our dealer told us that power seat failures are very common and a design flaw. Very expensive repair off warranty (which we are not yet).

My 540ia experience
By opptheman on 10/02/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

First let me mention that I previously owned a 1997 740il since 9-2001. After taking out a 540i on a test drive back in April, I knew I had to have one. A 528, 525 or 530 may look like a 540 but believe me that 8 cylinder makes a world of a difference. Beware that dealers seemed to charge a premium for this car so I lucked out and found a private owner selling a 2003 for a tad bit more than the dealer wanted for a 2001. The car drives like a dream, corners on a rail and is lightening fast and silky smooth. It's also a conservative clean cut look so most people won't have a clue of how sporty it really is. My 740 drove great too but didn't respond in turns and wasn't nearly as quick.