2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
NICE RIDE
By pongo2972 on 06/07/06 19:46 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 2003 530i is the best car I've ever owned. It's fast, tight, shifts perfectly, and rides like a dream. Not only that, but when you get out of the car and look at it, you're glad you bought it. Also, just in case you didn't know, Consumer Reports rated this vehicle higher than any other car they had ever rated, ever!!!

Best combination of Luxury/Sport
By scbsee88 on 03/21/06 13:00 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

From the solid doors, plush leather and the Automatic Climate controls, the BMW takes car engineering to the next level. If you haven't driven a 5-series, I suggest you do and then you'll realize why all of the BMW cliches are right-on: Ultimate Driving Machine..."feel one with the road"..., etc. Don't believe the conventional wisdom that Lexus is more luxurious and BMW is more of a driver's car. My 530ia has got enough bells and whistles (sunroof, power seats, Automatic climate controls, stereo) to keep me more than satisfied. As a telecommuter, I have to come up with excuses to drive it out of my garage. Do yourself a favor and get yourself a 2003 while they come back from leases!

Buy Smart , Buy CPO
By Neil Barker on 02/23/06 16:48 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought a 2003 540 Sport/Automatic from the BMW CPO program. No regrets so far, car has functioned flawlessly. The 540 is manufactured in BMW's premium factory, hence high quality. This car handles like a sports car, fits 5 people fairly well...though I only allow 4 max due to the factory lowered suspension. The Automatic is a dream to drive,its like a personal business jet for the road. The E39 has classic looks, its a good investment, it will look good years from now. New 5 Series ? Horrible!! I could design a better car. Chris Bangle, the new designer for BMW, has done me a favor.He saved me $30000. I bought a clean used CPO BMW. Thanks Mr. Bangle. Get one while you can.

An awesome car.
By fuzeboxny on 12/31/05 16:37 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have loved driving this car since May of 03. The feel of the BMW on the road is unmatched in this class. I'm sadly turning this baby in, but, for a new '06 530xi.

Fabulous Car
By smeagol on 11/30/05 01:19 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I always wanted to own one of these babies even after having a Mercedes E320. A ride in a 2004 X5 got me really thinking about it, so when I needed to give my college age daughter a car, I gave her my 4 year old Acura and picked up a used 525i with 16k. What a fabulous purchase. Without a doubt, the most civil road hugging vehicle I have ever owned and tastefully, impeccably appointed inside to boot. And NO iDrive!!!

Ultimate Addiction
By Daniel on 10/31/05 13:43 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 5 Series (E39) is great - its a pleasure to drive; I have on several ocassions got into the car - not because I had somewhere to go, but because I wanted to drive that baby. Cornering is amazing, the aggressive suspension will hug hairpin turns, body roll is almost non existent, I feel safe accelerating through the turns; and what's more even my passengers feel secure, the brakes stop the E39 so quickly you have to watch your rear view mirrors because not many cars will stop as effectively. Key in ignition and the car recalls my preset steering, mirror and seat positions; Yes! It's my car!! Almost aero road noise. At night the orange cock-pit lighting is just right. Well done BMW, kudos.

Highly Recommended
By John on 08/24/05 09:49 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Love this car... what a sweet ride. It handles very well despite the 3800 lbs, interior is perfect away from the useless cupholders, sport package is great. Be careful & watch the speedometer, you'll think you're doing 65 & really be doing 105.

When driving is fun
By Himself on 06/16/05 12:22 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Easily the finest sport sedan I have ever driven. Amazing performance and very responsive. It goes precisely where you point it - so pay attention all the time! Soft high performance tires last 23000 miles in my car, but its worth it. Four hours of driving with a brief stop at two hours - and no low back misery. Must watch out for speed - it will cruise at 80 mph with no noise, total control and plenty left to go much faster. (Don't do it!) This car has prevented at least two accidents for me - erratic driver (drunk?), and multi vehicle crash on LA freeway. What I love is how much control the driver enjoys and the high level comfort. Cup holders shouldn't be used. Enjoy!

Wonderful at its best
By roy on 06/13/05 16:53 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car changes driving from a chore to a pleasure even ruffle your composure. the sound system is great, the insulation keeps out road noise, the seat is comfortable, and the luxury inlay is beautiful. The moonroof is fun, and the remote control key system makes you feel like a spoiled rich man. Unfortunately it has been to the dealer for repairs 10 times in under 2 years, and some of the problems, like water leaking through the back door are serious. After initially being totally in love with this car, I have begun to wonder if I would be foolish ever to buy another one.

Best Performance Sedan
By Antonio Valla on 01/11/05 23:57 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love this car. I had numerous VW's (GTI, 2 Passats, New Beetle), and a BMW 325i Touring, but always lusted after the "5". When I realized the 2004 was going to get the Chris Bangle treatment, I went out and bought one of the last 2003 available.