Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW 530i 2003
By mark

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is the perfect balance between sport & luxury. Purchased new in 2003. Now have 95,000 trouble free miles. Have owned many cars from a cobra mustang 500hp to a honda crx and everything in between. I now also have a mazda speed 3 also nice. BMW makes some of the best cars for the money out there. Smooth, quiet, peppy, comfortable, reliable and nice looking. Runs better now than when I purchased it. Most of my miles have been highway. I get about 24 mpg with 70% hwy 30 local. I also enjoy driving the new and old 3 series.

Favorite Features

Seats, price, silence on hwy regardless of speed, looks, reliability.

Suggested Improvements

Center armrest should have a storage bin

Never Again
By Scott

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being stationed overseas I figured it was time to buy a new BMW. I owned this car for 4.5 years, replaced all 4 rotors three times, also replaced 4 of 6 ignition coils throughout my ownership. All under warranty, luckily. Replaced the cub hold assembly, too easily broken. It's great to drive especially on the German Autobahn, but the headaches of maintenance were too much. I sold this car and after three months the new owner e-mailed and said the ignition coil went out.

Favorite Features

High value for resale, looks great

Suggested Improvements

If over 6 feet tall forget it, low lumbar supports, ignition and brake quality upgrades.

Great car when not in shop
By mathwonk

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is beautiful comfortable powerful solidly made and enjoyable. The only problem is I am a longtime Honda owner. I admit a Honda does not compare in acceleration, stopping power, beauty or safety to this BMW, but on the other hand, essentially nothing ever goes wrong on a Honda either, and that has me spoiled. The beemer was in the shop at least 7 times for a leak that occurred in any hard rain, and has only been ok in that department since the drought made rain less common. Two days ago my wife was driving down the highway and the wheels locked up at 50 mph and refused to roll. She skidded to a stop in the road and could not even get into the breakdown lane.

Favorite Features

Solid safe feel on the road, and best ever stopping power of the brakes. Great front visibility (but poor backwards visibility).

Suggested Improvements

Don't design the rainwater to pass through the door before exiting the car. Tell people honestly that the car needs more oil changes than just the free ones. As everyone knows the cupholders are the worst in the industry. But the car is so wonderful when working right, I am tempted buy another.

BMW 525i Response
By Sanjay Ganju

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 525i sports trim for the last 4 years. First there is constant problem with the dashboard electronics. Some pixels keep missing. Also there are chronic issues with alternator and additional electronics in the car. It is like dying a death by 1000 cuts. This car stalled on me twice on the highway. Somehow I came out one piece. Each time a repair is conducted results in 500-1000USD tab and if you go to their dealer then God help you. BMW is a sleek and sporty car but sell it as soon as the manufacturer warranty is over.

Favorite Features

Good speakers etc. Excellent acceleration.

Suggested Improvements

Can't afford premium fuel. Lousy reliability of electronics. Most of the electronic sensors start dying after 5 years. Chronic problems with alternator etc. Very low clearance results in front hood damage at curbs due to very low clearance. Overall a lousy car and not worth it.

Awesome ride
By csfischer20

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this Bimmer at a great price and I fell in love with it the second I sat down and started it. They come well equipped and ride awesome. I've had an Audi before and it was just too much to maintain. The more research I did the better I felt about getting a BMW. It's certified and has all of the records. Just enough pick up on the streets, but not a gas hog. I didn't like the body style of the 2004 so I went with this one. It's everything I hoped it would be.

Favorite Features

AC, stereo, moonroof and the choice between manual or auto shifting.

Suggested Improvements

I really have nothing except the cupholders could have been placed better... but that is far from my mind when I hit the road.