Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews - 89 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Solid performer
By SC owner

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car with a strong luxury feel. I've owned the car about a year and driven it about 7,000 miles. I did have to replace the thermostat since I kept getting a service engine light. Another problem is missing pixels in my instrument display and radio display. This required replacing the instrument cluster and the MID display. Electronic parts are very expensive ($1600). Since the car was out of warranty, I wrote to BMW to see if they would assist with the repairs and they said they would. Put me in the BMW good will program and agreed to pay for the parts if I paid the labor. Good deal for me, nearly $2000 worth of repairs for less than $175.

Engine, smooth shifting transmission. Amazing acceleration for a sedan when you pull out to pass traffic. Ride is comfortable over rough roads, despite having the sport package. Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers are nice.

Decent cup holders. Be nice to have a center console storage compartment.

BMW 530i - You gotta drive one!
By diggertoo

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased used in great condition. The suspension system is incredible. The car feels like it's glued to the road and is the smoothest and most comfortable riding car I've ever driven. With a bad disk in my back, the lumbar system can be adjusted to make even longer trips very comfortable. The air vents in the dash provide circulation throughout the car, without hitting anyone directly in the face. And the sound system... if you close your eyes you would swear you were live at a concert. The sound system with 10 speakers and 2 subwoofers is that good and the list of other useful features could go on and on.

Suspension and handling; stereo system.

I've had my 530i almost a year
By Charles Henke

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My 530i is my second BMW. This automobile is not only stylish but comfortable and fun to drive. It is an excellent road vehicle that gets reasonably good gas mileage. Quality in workmanship throughout the vehicle is exceptional. Some of the dash controls are somewhat confusing, however.

Rain-sensing wipers, memory seat setting, audio system, large fuel tank.

Relocate cup holders for more efficient use as they are practically unusable as designed.

Don't waste your money!
By steve

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this vehicle as a certified pre-owned BMW. Let me tell you, at first, I loved it! I liked the feeling of driving a luxury car. Now we'll get to the bad stuff. We drove 1000 miles away from home to visit family. We made it up there just fine. while we were up there, we had to take the "Bimmer" to the shop four times in three days due to a electrical malfunction. After the first two times of the dealership servicing the car, it overheated because one of the hoses had a hole in it! i expected better from BMW's certification process!

The luxurious interior, powerful 530i engine.

Better front cup holders, and add rear cup holders as well. Redesign the whole certification process.

Buy one if you can...
By ERA

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Well-rounded car is an understatement. Great torque & power, smooth inline 6, best exterior design BMW ever made, handles really well for a large car. Only regret is not buying a new one because I know I would have babied the car a lot better.

LOVE exterior styling headlights, tailights, & wheels (sport package). Love leather bucket seats that hold you when your cornering. I love the stereo (premium package) & trip computer. The engine is so smooth you would never know you were at 4,000 RPM needing to shift gears.

I can't stand the damn squeaks the doors have had since I bought it. Warranty pretty much took care of it. However, I hear slight creaks from the dashboard and from the ceiling. Could use a few more horses at the upper band.