Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW 525i Response
By Sanjay Ganju

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 525i sports trim for the last 4 years. First there is constant problem with the dashboard electronics. Some pixels keep missing. Also there are chronic issues with alternator and additional electronics in the car. It is like dying a death by 1000 cuts. This car stalled on me twice on the highway. Somehow I came out one piece. Each time a repair is conducted results in 500-1000USD tab and if you go to their dealer then God help you. BMW is a sleek and sporty car but sell it as soon as the manufacturer warranty is over.

Good speakers etc. Excellent acceleration.

Can't afford premium fuel. Lousy reliability of electronics. Most of the electronic sensors start dying after 5 years. Chronic problems with alternator etc. Very low clearance results in front hood damage at curbs due to very low clearance. Overall a lousy car and not worth it.

After its fifth birthday
By dmotzev

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just recently, I happened to trade in a six months old Japanese coupe for this 5 year old German saloon. What a difference! This is my first personal BMW and although it has almost 60000 miles on it, it feels tight and responsive. In fact, I test drove an E60 530i before I bought this one, but it just did not feel right. The combination of the M Sport package, the Premium package and the manual transmission creates an extremely convenient, yet amazingly looking everyday driver. Navigation is handy, but costs money to keep up-to-date. If you prefer adrenaline pumped driving, better look for a 540i/M5, but if you do not require extreme performance, you are going to love this car!

The manual transmission, Xenon headlights, DSC, M Sport Package, ingenious part engineering (incredibly easy servicing of the vehicle), excellent fuel economy (for its class).

A way to prevent the annoying pebbles from entering behind the front brakes heat shields?

525 with M package
By haas311

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It is probably the best car that I have ever driven, and I test drive cars for fun sometimes. This is not a cup holder type car especially if you have a stick shift, which doubles the fun for me. I dont eat, drink, or do much of anything else but totally enjoy the daily driving experience. I love spending 2 hours washing it inside and out. It does not have a lot of horse power but the torque made a Mustang GT seem like a turtle to me. I will probably never get rid of it.

The interior design, the seat support, the power, the steering, the suspension, the look, and not having a good cup holder.

None.

BMW 5 Series: Before it got ugly.
By dsidog

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great all-around car. A little light on power but I knew that when I bought it. Great handling for a sedan, always a pleasure to drive. I love this car. I've owned 5 BMWs since 1976. I would not hesitate to buy another 5 series but for the looks. The new 5 is too ugly to look at every morning. I'll wait for the next body revision. They got this one right.

Handling, styling, sport seats.

Only one, functional cup holders. Attention you Germans; Americans drink coffee etc, while the drive. Stop fighting it, we buy a lot of cars from you!

Nice 2003 BMW 525i 5 speed.
By Marc

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This 525i is great. I never did drive the 530 so I don't know what I'm missing in power, but I traded in my 2001 Acura CL type S and do not mind that I gave up over 70HP and other cool features such as Xenon headlights, homelink, Nav, and a CD changer. My 525i 5 speed is a blast to drive and feels very fancy inside and out even without almost all the options.

In addition to the view from the front, I enjoy the seats, sound system, ac in the rear, and head lights.

I'm pretty sure the improvements such as more storage has already been seen in the 2004 525i