Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 530i Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Awesome ride
By csfischer20

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this Bimmer at a great price and I fell in love with it the second I sat down and started it. They come well equipped and ride awesome. I've had an Audi before and it was just too much to maintain. The more research I did the better I felt about getting a BMW. It's certified and has all of the records. Just enough pick up on the streets, but not a gas hog. I didn't like the body style of the 2004 so I went with this one. It's everything I hoped it would be.

Favorite Features

AC, stereo, moonroof and the choice between manual or auto shifting.

Suggested Improvements

I really have nothing except the cupholders could have been placed better... but that is far from my mind when I hit the road.

Performance with a Price
By Bill

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Just a splendid, intoxicating driving experience that had the hair on my head tingling for the first 2 months that I drove... BUT, OMG tires wore out at 15K, stabilizer bar, computer problems, display board problems surfaced at 3 yrs. $5K in repairs later (out of warranty on the listed items) and a few other "normal" expensive repairs and I am ready to sell it for a more reliable performance vehicle. Just frustrating to have to endure the financial and disappointing pain a $50,000 car should NOT give you. Be cautious when you purchase this one.

Favorite Features

Fit and finish of the car. Handling, performance, style.

Solid and Nimble
By davethewave

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Very good build quality and performance. 93K and still no rattles, but rotors and heater are sounding worn out. Had computer chip go out under warranty, so reliability is not as good as expected for car at this price level. Dealer service was inconvenient. I have no regrets, but I would probably not buy another one new - mainly because I live too far from a dealer, and I don't like the new 5-series styling and high price.

Favorite Features

Engine response, steering and handling - the German driving feel is addicting. Gas mileage of 28 mpg is great for this class of car.

Suggested Improvements

Increase number of qualified service centers to perform warranty work. Reduce the road noise during normal driving.

Electronic Problems
By seabreez

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

We picked up A CPO 530i just off of lease. Records were clean & initially car lived up to the BMW standards. 3 months in the electrical system started going haywire (sensors) & has been a pain ever since. It has gotten to the point I contacted the CEO of BMWAG in Germany. Very disappointed they threw it back on dealer. It is the mfg. fault, not the dealer. At present working with dealer to roll out into another. Dealer is being very helpful & I hope for a resolution soon. Other than this the car is what you expect from a BMW.

Favorite Features

What a great ride. Try turning off the ADC & take a corner. What a difference. The car is a pleasure to drive. The only problem I have is keeping an eye on the speed! The ride is so smooth. Also the handling in inclement weather is flawless. Also I am alive today because of the dgn. of BMW

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders!

Solid performer
By SC owner

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car with a strong luxury feel. I've owned the car about a year and driven it about 7,000 miles. I did have to replace the thermostat since I kept getting a service engine light. Another problem is missing pixels in my instrument display and radio display. This required replacing the instrument cluster and the MID display. Electronic parts are very expensive ($1600). Since the car was out of warranty, I wrote to BMW to see if they would assist with the repairs and they said they would. Put me in the BMW good will program and agreed to pay for the parts if I paid the labor. Good deal for me, nearly $2000 worth of repairs for less than $175.

Favorite Features

Engine, smooth shifting transmission. Amazing acceleration for a sedan when you pull out to pass traffic. Ride is comfortable over rough roads, despite having the sport package. Automatic rain sensing windshield wipers are nice.

Suggested Improvements

Decent cup holders. Be nice to have a center console storage compartment.