Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Great car when not in shop
By mathwonk

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is beautiful comfortable powerful solidly made and enjoyable. The only problem is I am a longtime Honda owner. I admit a Honda does not compare in acceleration, stopping power, beauty or safety to this BMW, but on the other hand, essentially nothing ever goes wrong on a Honda either, and that has me spoiled. The beemer was in the shop at least 7 times for a leak that occurred in any hard rain, and has only been ok in that department since the drought made rain less common. Two days ago my wife was driving down the highway and the wheels locked up at 50 mph and refused to roll. She skidded to a stop in the road and could not even get into the breakdown lane.

Solid safe feel on the road, and best ever stopping power of the brakes. Great front visibility (but poor backwards visibility).

Don't design the rainwater to pass through the door before exiting the car. Tell people honestly that the car needs more oil changes than just the free ones. As everyone knows the cupholders are the worst in the industry. But the car is so wonderful when working right, I am tempted buy another.

BMW 525i Response
By Sanjay Ganju

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 525i sports trim for the last 4 years. First there is constant problem with the dashboard electronics. Some pixels keep missing. Also there are chronic issues with alternator and additional electronics in the car. It is like dying a death by 1000 cuts. This car stalled on me twice on the highway. Somehow I came out one piece. Each time a repair is conducted results in 500-1000USD tab and if you go to their dealer then God help you. BMW is a sleek and sporty car but sell it as soon as the manufacturer warranty is over.

Good speakers etc. Excellent acceleration.

Can't afford premium fuel. Lousy reliability of electronics. Most of the electronic sensors start dying after 5 years. Chronic problems with alternator etc. Very low clearance results in front hood damage at curbs due to very low clearance. Overall a lousy car and not worth it.

After its fifth birthday
By dmotzev

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just recently, I happened to trade in a six months old Japanese coupe for this 5 year old German saloon. What a difference! This is my first personal BMW and although it has almost 60000 miles on it, it feels tight and responsive. In fact, I test drove an E60 530i before I bought this one, but it just did not feel right. The combination of the M Sport package, the Premium package and the manual transmission creates an extremely convenient, yet amazingly looking everyday driver. Navigation is handy, but costs money to keep up-to-date. If you prefer adrenaline pumped driving, better look for a 540i/M5, but if you do not require extreme performance, you are going to love this car!

The manual transmission, Xenon headlights, DSC, M Sport Package, ingenious part engineering (incredibly easy servicing of the vehicle), excellent fuel economy (for its class).

A way to prevent the annoying pebbles from entering behind the front brakes heat shields?

525 with M package
By haas311

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It is probably the best car that I have ever driven, and I test drive cars for fun sometimes. This is not a cup holder type car especially if you have a stick shift, which doubles the fun for me. I dont eat, drink, or do much of anything else but totally enjoy the daily driving experience. I love spending 2 hours washing it inside and out. It does not have a lot of horse power but the torque made a Mustang GT seem like a turtle to me. I will probably never get rid of it.

The interior design, the seat support, the power, the steering, the suspension, the look, and not having a good cup holder.

None.

BMW 5 Series: Before it got ugly.
By dsidog

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great all-around car. A little light on power but I knew that when I bought it. Great handling for a sedan, always a pleasure to drive. I love this car. I've owned 5 BMWs since 1976. I would not hesitate to buy another 5 series but for the looks. The new 5 is too ugly to look at every morning. I'll wait for the next body revision. They got this one right.

Handling, styling, sport seats.

Only one, functional cup holders. Attention you Germans; Americans drink coffee etc, while the drive. Stop fighting it, we buy a lot of cars from you!