Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Used BMW the Good and the not so Good
By Hoosier BMW

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had BMW for 6 months now. Read many reviews. Like the older body style. It was a one owner all books and records. Impressions..handles well but stiffer than my many Hondas, ride is great, comfortable, Conti tires good. Maintenance costs more, if you buy used make sure you have records. Car is heavy and 525i has limited low end power, use only premium gas, so it costs more, I baby it. Bought aftermarket cupholders..solved that problem. Not so good in snow..snow tires a plus..but an added cost. Don't cheap out on maintenance. Oil changes cost $100+ and use synthetic...but a longer interval...10k, love car, but wife doesn't..says it drives like a tank.

Like ride, exterior and interior styling. Like red lighting. Many amenities, heated seats and steering.

Cupholders, but go aftermarket..steering a bit hard to me. Acceleration a bit slow with 525i.

A little more than the speed limit.
By 2manycars

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I don't care where I'm going or how long it takes to get there, this car is way too much fun. Four people and trunk full, run 80 or so, and still get 29mpg. Stop for minute, get in and do it all over again. No road weary travelers in this car. 8 hour drive seems like 4. Regular maintenance, no major problems, not the cheapest car to maintain, and it's not easy to find a "good" BMW shop, but still it's worth every penny. I think I'll keep this car for a while, if I can get it back from the wife.

Handling, style, ride quality, quiet interior, reliability.

Better cup holders. Dude, we like coffee okay. Radio doesn't stink but could be better.

2003 BMW 525i Sedan
By MD

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is our first BMW which we bought new with 4 miles on the odometer and its still going strong after 6 years and 135,000 miles. We average 500 miles per week on it back/forth to work. Highway gas mileage averages 26 mpg. My wife loves the car and I hope it lasts another 100K miles. We've had no engine problems, but regular maintenance is expensive. Our dealer had to repair the moon roof 3 times due to the guide rails - kept breaking. Fortunately those repairs were under warranty and we solved that problem by not using the moon roof anymore. The LED dash display burns out and is very expensive to replace - my mechanic tells me this is a known defect that BMW will not acknowledge.

The base i6 engine has plenty of power and gets you up to highway speeds quickly from the on ramps. Our 525 has the Sport package which makes it fun to drive on windy roads as the handling is great. The ride is excellent and gas mileage good.

Low and medium fan speed settings for the windshield defroster, the high only setting is loud and blasts your face/eyes. The slide out dashboard cup holders are worthless. HD radios are still an option today and should be standard in a BMW 5-series.

Never Again
By Scott

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being stationed overseas I figured it was time to buy a new BMW. I owned this car for 4.5 years, replaced all 4 rotors three times, also replaced 4 of 6 ignition coils throughout my ownership. All under warranty, luckily. Replaced the cub hold assembly, too easily broken. It's great to drive especially on the German Autobahn, but the headaches of maintenance were too much. I sold this car and after three months the new owner e-mailed and said the ignition coil went out.

High value for resale, looks great

If over 6 feet tall forget it, low lumbar supports, ignition and brake quality upgrades.

Great car when not in shop
By mathwonk

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is beautiful comfortable powerful solidly made and enjoyable. The only problem is I am a longtime Honda owner. I admit a Honda does not compare in acceleration, stopping power, beauty or safety to this BMW, but on the other hand, essentially nothing ever goes wrong on a Honda either, and that has me spoiled. The beemer was in the shop at least 7 times for a leak that occurred in any hard rain, and has only been ok in that department since the drought made rain less common. Two days ago my wife was driving down the highway and the wheels locked up at 50 mph and refused to roll. She skidded to a stop in the road and could not even get into the breakdown lane.

Solid safe feel on the road, and best ever stopping power of the brakes. Great front visibility (but poor backwards visibility).

Don't design the rainwater to pass through the door before exiting the car. Tell people honestly that the car needs more oil changes than just the free ones. As everyone knows the cupholders are the worst in the industry. But the car is so wonderful when working right, I am tempted buy another.