Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Sportswagon review
By satch59

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My kids can't understand why I have a wagon, instead of a big SUV. I can park any where, low center of gravity, and it's a sports car with a big trunk.

Favorite Features

All of the gadgets and safety features!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders - I know in Germany they have no time to drink @ 100 mph. Also can you make the remote do any thing else?

530 Lives Up to its Name
By Jay Emm

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent performance, responsiveness, and handling. The sport package gives performance tires and improved suspension that grip the road & offer a smooth ride. The premium package pampers you with soft Montana Leather, an auto-dimming rear view mirror and rain sensing wipers that function well. Heated seats are great in cold weather. Interior is well insulated. The vehicle accelerates well (0-60 in 6.8) and runs at 2900 RPMs at 90 MPH. The 530i is very adept at accelerating from 60 to 80 quickly. Spacious in the front and back, with 10-way power front seats. Seat, mirror and steering wheel settings can be programmed into your key.

Favorite Features

1. "Halo" headlights 2. 17" Performance Tires and Alloy wheels (sport package) 3. M steering wheel 4. Premium sound system 5. "Mood" interior lighting

good but not perfect
By hrp

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The BMW 540i is fun to drive but lacks interior comfort. Why can't they build a car with the comfort of a Lexus or Mercedes on the interior with the good looks of a BMW on the outside. I have owned three Mercedes and ejoyed their interiors and comfort but always thought the drive was not spunky or exciting. The 540i delivers a thrilling ride and wonderful handling, but I miss the comfort. Am I too old for this car?

Favorite Features

Handling is the best!

Suggested Improvements

Make more places to hold things in the interior. Make mor back room leg space.

A True Sport Wagon
By Eric D. Koster

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 540i 4dr Sport Wagon (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Having traded in my Porsche, I found the 540i wagon with the sport package to be the perfect vehicle for my current needs. It holds my family, as much sailing gear as I reasonably need, cruises comfortably on the highway, handles secondary roads well enough (although the ride is too harsh with the 45 series tires), and, despite BMW's disavowal, hauls a trailer with ease.

Favorite Features

Power, handling and comfort.

Suggested Improvements

The sport suspension should be more compliant.

Refined Excellence
By d.j.

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2003 530i auto with comfort seats, heated steering wheel, xenon, and DSP stereo option. I commute 100 miles to work each day and the heated comfort seats and steering wheel keep my aching, middle-class, white collar bones feeling great. The Digital Sound Processing option for the stereo is nothing more than glorified reverb and definitely not worth the money. Performance, engineering, design, fit and finish are truly wonderful. In the last year of production, there does not appear to be a single bug in the car. This car is a keeper.

Favorite Features

comfort seats, heated seats

Suggested Improvements

None, really.