Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

03 525 keeper
By ckem

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it to beat model change and avoid Bangle butt. Second BMW. And second car so do not drive in bad winter weather much. Not as swift as prior car which was 325--same motor but heavier. Get 28 mpg on highway and 24-26 mixed driving. Run on unld regular at times. Plenty of room, comfortable and handles very well and has been reliable after some early quirks; new coils, ignition wires and alternator. OEM Pirelli's were noisy so after much discussion with dealer, I bought Michelin All Season and dealer mounted ,balanced did alignment free. No problems .Also had pixel problem on steering column and dealer did free computer replacement even when out of warranty. A keeper!

Handling, performance and styling. Have real spare matching alloy---no runflats! Comfort--love that steering wheel heater.

525 a little underpowered than I would prefer. Key design lends itself to unintended contact resulting in trunk opening, etc.

Used BMW the Good and the not so Good
By Hoosier BMW

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had BMW for 6 months now. Read many reviews. Like the older body style. It was a one owner all books and records. Impressions..handles well but stiffer than my many Hondas, ride is great, comfortable, Conti tires good. Maintenance costs more, if you buy used make sure you have records. Car is heavy and 525i has limited low end power, use only premium gas, so it costs more, I baby it. Bought aftermarket cupholders..solved that problem. Not so good in snow..snow tires a plus..but an added cost. Don't cheap out on maintenance. Oil changes cost $100+ and use synthetic...but a longer interval...10k, love car, but wife doesn't..says it drives like a tank.

Like ride, exterior and interior styling. Like red lighting. Many amenities, heated seats and steering.

Cupholders, but go aftermarket..steering a bit hard to me. Acceleration a bit slow with 525i.

A little more than the speed limit.
By 2manycars

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I don't care where I'm going or how long it takes to get there, this car is way too much fun. Four people and trunk full, run 80 or so, and still get 29mpg. Stop for minute, get in and do it all over again. No road weary travelers in this car. 8 hour drive seems like 4. Regular maintenance, no major problems, not the cheapest car to maintain, and it's not easy to find a "good" BMW shop, but still it's worth every penny. I think I'll keep this car for a while, if I can get it back from the wife.

Handling, style, ride quality, quiet interior, reliability.

Better cup holders. Dude, we like coffee okay. Radio doesn't stink but could be better.

2003 BMW 525i Sedan
By MD

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is our first BMW which we bought new with 4 miles on the odometer and its still going strong after 6 years and 135,000 miles. We average 500 miles per week on it back/forth to work. Highway gas mileage averages 26 mpg. My wife loves the car and I hope it lasts another 100K miles. We've had no engine problems, but regular maintenance is expensive. Our dealer had to repair the moon roof 3 times due to the guide rails - kept breaking. Fortunately those repairs were under warranty and we solved that problem by not using the moon roof anymore. The LED dash display burns out and is very expensive to replace - my mechanic tells me this is a known defect that BMW will not acknowledge.

The base i6 engine has plenty of power and gets you up to highway speeds quickly from the on ramps. Our 525 has the Sport package which makes it fun to drive on windy roads as the handling is great. The ride is excellent and gas mileage good.

Low and medium fan speed settings for the windshield defroster, the high only setting is loud and blasts your face/eyes. The slide out dashboard cup holders are worthless. HD radios are still an option today and should be standard in a BMW 5-series.

Never Again
By Scott

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being stationed overseas I figured it was time to buy a new BMW. I owned this car for 4.5 years, replaced all 4 rotors three times, also replaced 4 of 6 ignition coils throughout my ownership. All under warranty, luckily. Replaced the cub hold assembly, too easily broken. It's great to drive especially on the German Autobahn, but the headaches of maintenance were too much. I sold this car and after three months the new owner e-mailed and said the ignition coil went out.

High value for resale, looks great

If over 6 feet tall forget it, low lumbar supports, ignition and brake quality upgrades.