2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Great car when not in shop
By mathwonk on 08/03/08 13:49 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is beautiful comfortable powerful solidly made and enjoyable. The only problem is I am a longtime Honda owner. I admit a Honda does not compare in acceleration, stopping power, beauty or safety to this BMW, but on the other hand, essentially nothing ever goes wrong on a Honda either, and that has me spoiled. The beemer was in the shop at least 7 times for a leak that occurred in any hard rain, and has only been ok in that department since the drought made rain less common. Two days ago my wife was driving down the highway and the wheels locked up at 50 mph and refused to roll. She skidded to a stop in the road and could not even get into the breakdown lane.

BMW 525i Response
By Sanjay Ganju on 07/17/08 05:32 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have a 525i sports trim for the last 4 years. First there is constant problem with the dashboard electronics. Some pixels keep missing. Also there are chronic issues with alternator and additional electronics in the car. It is like dying a death by 1000 cuts. This car stalled on me twice on the highway. Somehow I came out one piece. Each time a repair is conducted results in 500-1000USD tab and if you go to their dealer then God help you. BMW is a sleek and sporty car but sell it as soon as the manufacturer warranty is over.

After its fifth birthday
By dmotzev on 07/08/08 14:43 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just recently, I happened to trade in a six months old Japanese coupe for this 5 year old German saloon. What a difference! This is my first personal BMW and although it has almost 60000 miles on it, it feels tight and responsive. In fact, I test drove an E60 530i before I bought this one, but it just did not feel right. The combination of the M Sport package, the Premium package and the manual transmission creates an extremely convenient, yet amazingly looking everyday driver. Navigation is handy, but costs money to keep up-to-date. If you prefer adrenaline pumped driving, better look for a 540i/M5, but if you do not require extreme performance, you are going to love this car!

525 with M package
By haas311 on 01/26/07 08:30 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

It is probably the best car that I have ever driven, and I test drive cars for fun sometimes. This is not a cup holder type car especially if you have a stick shift, which doubles the fun for me. I dont eat, drink, or do much of anything else but totally enjoy the daily driving experience. I love spending 2 hours washing it inside and out. It does not have a lot of horse power but the torque made a Mustang GT seem like a turtle to me. I will probably never get rid of it.

BMW 5 Series: Before it got ugly.
By dsidog on 12/31/06 13:39 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great all-around car. A little light on power but I knew that when I bought it. Great handling for a sedan, always a pleasure to drive. I love this car. I've owned 5 BMWs since 1976. I would not hesitate to buy another 5 series but for the looks. The new 5 is too ugly to look at every morning. I'll wait for the next body revision. They got this one right.

Nice 2003 BMW 525i 5 speed.
By Marc on 12/06/06 17:33 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This 525i is great. I never did drive the 530 so I don't know what I'm missing in power, but I traded in my 2001 Acura CL type S and do not mind that I gave up over 70HP and other cool features such as Xenon headlights, homelink, Nav, and a CD changer. My 525i 5 speed is a blast to drive and feels very fancy inside and out even without almost all the options.

The First Four Months
By TreDurden on 11/15/06 20:33 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Remarkably fun to drive (5 speed manual). Responsive steering and handling. Interior comforts are amazing. I had a Jeep before, they are fun to drive, but in a different way. The Jeep is amazing fun in an off-road way as where the 5-Series is just as much fun in an Autobahn kinda way.

My BMW journey started in 1980
By Bill in Nashville on 09/30/06 22:36 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

at the age of 17. The father of a close friend of mine purchased a 1980 528i and was kind enough to on occasion let me drive it. The experiences driving that car ignited a passion for German automobiles that I have today some 26 years later. For various reasons though I have never owned a BMW... until last week. Test driving the 525i last week was like traveling back in time. From the distinct engine sound and scent of BMW leather to the almost identical cockpit like instruments I was hooked all over again... this time, though, a picture on the fridge wouldn't do. BMW engineers developed decades ago a sensory attacking machine that words cannot describe - one must drive it to understand it.

Fabulous Car
By smeagol on 11/30/05 01:19 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I always wanted to own one of these babies even after having a Mercedes E320. A ride in a 2004 X5 got me really thinking about it, so when I needed to give my college age daughter a car, I gave her my 4 year old Acura and picked up a used 525i with 16k. What a fabulous purchase. Without a doubt, the most civil road hugging vehicle I have ever owned and tastefully, impeccably appointed inside to boot. And NO iDrive!!!

Ultimate Addiction
By Daniel on 10/31/05 13:43 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

The BMW 5 Series (E39) is great - its a pleasure to drive; I have on several ocassions got into the car - not because I had somewhere to go, but because I wanted to drive that baby. Cornering is amazing, the aggressive suspension will hug hairpin turns, body roll is almost non existent, I feel safe accelerating through the turns; and what's more even my passengers feel secure, the brakes stop the E39 so quickly you have to watch your rear view mirrors because not many cars will stop as effectively. Key in ignition and the car recalls my preset steering, mirror and seat positions; Yes! It's my car!! Almost aero road noise. At night the orange cock-pit lighting is just right. Well done BMW, kudos.