Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Got to LOVE IT!
By Viper1

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I read some reviews that talk of the cup holders and other issues. We bought our 2003 525i and simply love it. The thing is on rails but also feels heavy but responsive. The weight is good for absorbing road imperfections. Just feels solid. Performance is nice, just need to hit the sport tronic trans at right rpm range. This car looks better than the newer model and BMW has changed it back to the E39 style with a more squat body. I had to change the alternator, but like our broken cup holder, alternator, and brakes, all of which I changed myself with the Bentley E39 Service Manual and the write tools and she is as tight as, well tight feels good. We Just Love Her, Silvia, because it's silver.

everything

none really

Great car, if you ignore reliability
By Mike12345

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the handling, the ride, & the fuel efficiency. The engine power is only slightly lacking. However, a car must also be reliable. This car requires repairs every 8 to 12 weeks (seriously). Thank god for the extended warranty. I fear the day the extended warranty expires & I still owe monthly payments. I love this car&hate its ongoing issues: new radiator; new plastic radiator reservoir; washer fluid pump failure (3 times); pcv valve failure ($700 to repair) & my personal favorite is when the seat warmer caught fire. The car is awesome to drive and looks like poetry in motion but my 30 year old Ford truck has been more reliable. German efficiency does not seem to include reliability

Handling is smooth with agile cornering. Fuel efficiency is near 30 mpg highway at 80 MPH - surprising for such a large and heavy vehicle. The design is timeless and beautiful (much better than the later 5 series).

A luxury car must be reliable. My BMW is not. BMW practically begged the Japanese & American luxury car companies to take market share with the BMW lack of long term reliability. It looks like a BMW is made to last about 60K before breaking down. This is my second & LAST BMW. BMW = bring my wallet

My bimmer
By CTK

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner. Not as quick as my old 325 but still good. 30+mpg on trip on reg or mid grade. A good car with little trouble past the warranty except for display digits dying which was fixed gratis by dealer. OEM Pirelli tires were noisy from get go and after several attempts of balance and rotation I ditched them for Michelin Exalto All Season and have been happy ever since. Dealer again shared the pain with free install and alignment as comp for OEM cheapies.

Handling, quality of interior, and performance along with mpg

Probably would opt for a bit more oomph on next one. Avoid Pirelli as OEM tire. Need a real spare allo. no run flats to replace at $$$$$. It's the excitement and drive not the electronic gimmicks BMW.

Solid Car
By Northern Rider

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2007 and just recently had its first problem, a gasket leak that cost $800 to repair, its been reliable, solid, wonderful to drive. Its the best looking car on the road in my eyes, I love the ageless design.

Cold weather package with heated steering wheel and seats. Unlike other cars I've driven these seats heat up to top of back and end of legs. It can get -35 deg C in Edmonton and when you get into a cold car I find the steering wheel on most cars takes forever to warm. This feature is the cats meow.

I usually drive in sport mode as regular mode shifting is programmed totally for fuel efficiency, its in 5th gear at 60 km/hr. Those LEDs are not reliable.

03 525 keeper
By ckem

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it to beat model change and avoid Bangle butt. Second BMW. And second car so do not drive in bad winter weather much. Not as swift as prior car which was 325--same motor but heavier. Get 28 mpg on highway and 24-26 mixed driving. Run on unld regular at times. Plenty of room, comfortable and handles very well and has been reliable after some early quirks; new coils, ignition wires and alternator. OEM Pirelli's were noisy so after much discussion with dealer, I bought Michelin All Season and dealer mounted ,balanced did alignment free. No problems .Also had pixel problem on steering column and dealer did free computer replacement even when out of warranty. A keeper!

Handling, performance and styling. Have real spare matching alloy---no runflats! Comfort--love that steering wheel heater.

525 a little underpowered than I would prefer. Key design lends itself to unintended contact resulting in trunk opening, etc.