2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
BMW 530 past 60,000 miles
By TonyH on 01/29/10 06:51 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 530 corners as if it is on rails and it accelerates very quickly and smoothly. I also own a E350 Benz and the BMW kills it in terms of performance (and the Benz is no slouch). The difference with the Benz is that the quality of the interior is hugely superior to the 530 - indeed the 530 is pretty basic in comparison. The BIG problem with the Beemer is reliability. Since hitting about 60k it's been own thing after another. First the door locks stopped working, then the doors started leaking, then the AC started acting up, then the alternator died, then, then.....the dollars just keep flowing out the door. For a car that is competing in the luxury space this is just BAD

Used BMW the Good and the not so Good
By Hoosier BMW on 12/23/09 12:57 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had BMW for 6 months now. Read many reviews. Like the older body style. It was a one owner all books and records. Impressions..handles well but stiffer than my many Hondas, ride is great, comfortable, Conti tires good. Maintenance costs more, if you buy used make sure you have records. Car is heavy and 525i has limited low end power, use only premium gas, so it costs more, I baby it. Bought aftermarket cupholders..solved that problem. Not so good in snow..snow tires a plus..but an added cost. Don't cheap out on maintenance. Oil changes cost $100+ and use synthetic...but a longer interval...10k, love car, but wife doesn't..says it drives like a tank.

Excellent Power Train but Bad Gadgets
By Steven on 12/23/09 09:19 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

This is an excellent piece of machine especially if you like its aggressive and bossy exterior look. However, given the power train and the handling are excellent, there are just too many little problems that constantly haunt you. For example, weak cup holder (I replaced it twice), flimsy exterior thermostat (replaced twice), unreliable cooling system.

540i M-Sport (where do I go from here?)
By Dan on 12/19/09 17:32 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Experiencing the performance of this car is simply amazing. This car does everything so well (acceleration, handling, comfort and luxury) all while looking so classy. I expect I will be hard pressed to find something to replace it any where close to the 61K I paid for it. The M-Sports package does some pretty remarkable things to this car. I definitely love the edgy, aggressive look of this car as compared to the E60. So, far I have had a few repairs which can add up at the dealership but I honestly think taking very good care of this car is so worth it. If they sold this exact car new, I would buy it again - it's that good. I would highly recommend it if you can find one.

Awesome!!
By John on 12/15/09 10:25 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a sedan for my wife and wanted something fun to drive for me with room for kids, dog and golf clubs. Purchased the 530i with sport package. Never expected the handling and responsiveness. Enough power for a car this size and decent gas mileage. The sport wheels just want to make you stare at the car and admire!!!!

A little more than the speed limit.
By 2manycars on 12/04/09 10:31 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I don't care where I'm going or how long it takes to get there, this car is way too much fun. Four people and trunk full, run 80 or so, and still get 29mpg. Stop for minute, get in and do it all over again. No road weary travelers in this car. 8 hour drive seems like 4. Regular maintenance, no major problems, not the cheapest car to maintain, and it's not easy to find a "good" BMW shop, but still it's worth every penny. I think I'll keep this car for a while, if I can get it back from the wife.

Very Reliable
By scott on 11/20/09 19:03 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 85k on it. Sold it with 130k. Only had one problem ac related 150.00 fixed it. Ran great good gas mileage and looks beautiful. Blizzaks on the back will make winter driving no problem (within reason). Don't be afraid to buy. Engine and tranny are bulletproof.

Electronic Gremlins
By veinr on 09/04/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car a little over a year ago and have spent approx. 2K in repairs. The radiator is plastic as is the water pump impeller motor. It had several oil and hydraulic leaks which I had repaired. The rear tires wear on the inside quite rapidly due to camber settings with the independent suspension. The battery burned a hole in itself and I've had several turn signal issues, lights burning out, shorts etc. Right now I'm getting a low oil pressure light at idle even after replacing the sending unit. The cupholders and interior buttons are very cheap. Other than that, this is a really fun car to drive. The motor is bullet proof. I got 23mpg on a recent trip with 3 bikes on the roof rack.

Awesome fast sporty sedan
By BMW 540iA, M5 susp on 04/19/09 13:58 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my 540iA new before the body style changed and I'm glad i did. I tested the 6 speed manual first but the sales rep convinced me to buy the automatic with manu-matic shift. The car is fast yet unassuming. My 540iA came with the M5 sports package complete with M5 steering wheel, suspension/brakes and front/rear spoilers. I was shopping for an M3 as I was already driving a 1998 528E but the M3 was too small - am so glad I made the right decision. I would recommend the 540ia to any sports, luxury and German car enthusiast.

2003 BMW 525i Sedan
By MD on 03/24/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is our first BMW which we bought new with 4 miles on the odometer and its still going strong after 6 years and 135,000 miles. We average 500 miles per week on it back/forth to work. Highway gas mileage averages 26 mpg. My wife loves the car and I hope it lasts another 100K miles. We've had no engine problems, but regular maintenance is expensive. Our dealer had to repair the moon roof 3 times due to the guide rails - kept breaking. Fortunately those repairs were under warranty and we solved that problem by not using the moon roof anymore. The LED dash display burns out and is very expensive to replace - my mechanic tells me this is a known defect that BMW will not acknowledge.