Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Wagon Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Electronic Gremlins
By veinr

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car a little over a year ago and have spent approx. 2K in repairs. The radiator is plastic as is the water pump impeller motor. It had several oil and hydraulic leaks which I had repaired. The rear tires wear on the inside quite rapidly due to camber settings with the independent suspension. The battery burned a hole in itself and I've had several turn signal issues, lights burning out, shorts etc. Right now I'm getting a low oil pressure light at idle even after replacing the sending unit. The cupholders and interior buttons are very cheap. Other than that, this is a really fun car to drive. The motor is bullet proof. I got 23mpg on a recent trip with 3 bikes on the roof rack.

Favorite Features

Looks, handling. Tiptronic transmission. Steering feel.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability needs major improvements. Sound system is average for this expensive of a car. No bluetooth, no satellite radio. Going back to Honda.

Very Happy 525iT owner
By WDD

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it certified preowned and love it. For an avg family it's a great car and very fun to drive. I have a 91 240SX that I'm having a problem giving up, but this is just as fun to drive and much more comfortable. I've been getting 26 to 29 mpg and the interior is comfortable and relaxing on the hwy. Overall I love it. I got the newest GPS disks and it made the GPS much more usable. The original 2001 disks were very weak in rural areas. I've owned it for 4 months now and am very happy with the decision.

Favorite Features

GPS, Xenon lights, sun roof, parking distance sensors, heated seats, all the goodies. Full size spare and tool kit are neat.

Suggested Improvements

None.

Best value in the BMW line
By OC dude

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car as a demo with 7000 miles on it. Paid $37000 for a fully loaded car w/ every possible option. The 2.5 engine surprise me with its get up and go, especially if it's put in Sport Mode. I've had 4 adults in this car and still drive great with wonderful acceleration on the on-ramp. Build-quality is much better compared to my 2004 330Ci; definitely a step up from the 3-series. This car's interior is timeless compared to the spartan design of the new 5 series; quality of material and leather seeems to be of better quality; compare it for yourself and save yourself a whole lotta money by buying the previous generation 5.

Favorite Features

Halo-lights (angel eyes), Napa Leather, One-touch window/moonroff, engine sound, xenon-lights, high speed stability, 4-years free maintenance, curved dash board that's no-longer available in the new 5.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, climate controls.

Great car but get extended warranty
By dcdriver

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 525 wagon new at the end of 2001, and it has been a great experience on the whole. The car is a joy to drive. It has also turned out to be practical for a family with young kids and a dog, and there is little that you can fit in an SUV that can't be coaxed into the back of this wagon. Our only complaint is that some of the electronics and interior fittings are not wearing well. Both of the front power seats have already failed, the stereo has had to be replaced, and numerous plastic fittings have fallen off. Our dealer told us that power seat failures are very common and a design flaw. Very expensive repair off warranty (which we are not yet).

Favorite Features

Terrific seats, handling, ride comfort, overall tactile quality of the interior. Surprisingly great highway mileage: mid 30s!

Suggested Improvements

The quality of the BMW service experience is not at Toyota (let alone Lexus) levels. We have tried several different dealers and all have been mediocre at best.

Sportswagon review
By satch59

2003 BMW 5 Series Wagon 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My kids can't understand why I have a wagon, instead of a big SUV. I can park any where, low center of gravity, and it's a sports car with a big trunk.

Favorite Features

All of the gadgets and safety features!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders - I know in Germany they have no time to drink @ 100 mph. Also can you make the remote do any thing else?