2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
168K and still going strong!
By papatago on 06/27/14 22:45 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is amazing! Bought it in '05 with 7K on it and now I have 168K and still solid, well built and reliable! If you can DIY some things, you can save a grip of $$$ and still have one of best cars built, period! Heavy car and going through tires is going to be an issue but nothing beats this car on the open road! I drive from northern CA to southern CA twice a month 700+ miles and 30+MPG can compare with a lot of hybrids out there...but no hybrid is as fun to drive. It truly is the Ultimate Driving Machine!

Transmission problem
By lawrence on 10/25/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Once the 6 year 100k miles warranty is gone, surprises! Maintenance very expensive and for those equipped with lifetime ZF HP19 transmission you'll be lucky if it last past 100K mark. Especially in New England weather.

They Don't Make Them Like This Anymore
By DMan on 08/20/10 07:45 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased from a private party with 25K on the odometer. Currently have about 99.4K miles on it. This has been far the most reliable car we've ever owned - Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Mazda. When you do basic maintenance yourself, ownership costs are somewhat comparable to many other brands. Just have to keep an eye out on the cooling system, heard that this was/is the weakest part of the E39's (so far no problems with mine). Average MPG during summer months: 24-27

BMW 530 past 60,000 miles
By TonyH on 01/29/10 06:51 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

The 530 corners as if it is on rails and it accelerates very quickly and smoothly. I also own a E350 Benz and the BMW kills it in terms of performance (and the Benz is no slouch). The difference with the Benz is that the quality of the interior is hugely superior to the 530 - indeed the 530 is pretty basic in comparison. The BIG problem with the Beemer is reliability. Since hitting about 60k it's been own thing after another. First the door locks stopped working, then the doors started leaking, then the AC started acting up, then the alternator died, then, then.....the dollars just keep flowing out the door. For a car that is competing in the luxury space this is just BAD

Awesome!!
By John on 12/15/09 10:25 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Needed a sedan for my wife and wanted something fun to drive for me with room for kids, dog and golf clubs. Purchased the 530i with sport package. Never expected the handling and responsiveness. Enough power for a car this size and decent gas mileage. The sport wheels just want to make you stare at the car and admire!!!!

Very Reliable
By scott on 11/20/09 19:03 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought this car with 85k on it. Sold it with 130k. Only had one problem ac related 150.00 fixed it. Ran great good gas mileage and looks beautiful. Blizzaks on the back will make winter driving no problem (within reason). Don't be afraid to buy. Engine and tranny are bulletproof.

BMW 530i
By nstajka on 03/09/09 03:58 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Great car. Love at first sight. I knew I would buy it as soon as I walked in the dealer.Then reality sets in. Seems like I'm in the shop every six months. Last time the fuel pump or the pump sensor or relay? They didn't know. But after three trips in and almost $600.00 (Again!), I'm ready for a Ford again. It was fun but unless I win the lotto I'm done with BMW.

A great car!
By kjm on 03/03/09 11:44 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my 4th BMW and the one I kept the longest (prior 3 were 3-series). This car does everything well; style, performance, handling, comfort & safety. I have not experienced any major problems with the car - routine work only. 87000 miles and going strong. I still get compliments on the car even after 6 years!

BMW 530i 2003
By mark on 11/26/08 18:06 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is the perfect balance between sport & luxury. Purchased new in 2003. Now have 95,000 trouble free miles. Have owned many cars from a cobra mustang 500hp to a honda crx and everything in between. I now also have a mazda speed 3 also nice. BMW makes some of the best cars for the money out there. Smooth, quiet, peppy, comfortable, reliable and nice looking. Runs better now than when I purchased it. Most of my miles have been highway. I get about 24 mpg with 70% hwy 30 local. I also enjoy driving the new and old 3 series.

Awesome ride
By csfischer20 on 07/15/08 07:47 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I picked up this Bimmer at a great price and I fell in love with it the second I sat down and started it. They come well equipped and ride awesome. I've had an Audi before and it was just too much to maintain. The more research I did the better I felt about getting a BMW. It's certified and has all of the records. Just enough pick up on the streets, but not a gas hog. I didn't like the body style of the 2004 so I went with this one. It's everything I hoped it would be.