2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
The greatest car on the road!!!
By anthony_e39 on 07/24/14 09:02 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being only 16 years old I am fortunate enough to have a 2003 525i for my first car it's got 45k miles and this car is truly a dream! It rides so smooth! Mine has the sport package and it is a joy to drive! It handles like a dream and the most fun car to own! If you have the opportunity to own one DONT HESITATE!!!! The repairs are kinda pricey but if you're a car guy like myself DIYing it will save you plenty of money! Truly love this car and am now a loyal BMW owner!

Got to LOVE IT!
By Viper1 on 08/22/10 23:57 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I read some reviews that talk of the cup holders and other issues. We bought our 2003 525i and simply love it. The thing is on rails but also feels heavy but responsive. The weight is good for absorbing road imperfections. Just feels solid. Performance is nice, just need to hit the sport tronic trans at right rpm range. This car looks better than the newer model and BMW has changed it back to the E39 style with a more squat body. I had to change the alternator, but like our broken cup holder, alternator, and brakes, all of which I changed myself with the Bentley E39 Service Manual and the write tools and she is as tight as, well tight feels good. We Just Love Her, Silvia, because it's silver.

Great car, if you ignore reliability
By Mike12345 on 07/18/10 16:38 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I love the handling, the ride, & the fuel efficiency. The engine power is only slightly lacking. However, a car must also be reliable. This car requires repairs every 8 to 12 weeks (seriously). Thank god for the extended warranty. I fear the day the extended warranty expires & I still owe monthly payments. I love this car&hate its ongoing issues: new radiator; new plastic radiator reservoir; washer fluid pump failure (3 times); pcv valve failure ($700 to repair) & my personal favorite is when the seat warmer caught fire. The car is awesome to drive and looks like poetry in motion but my 30 year old Ford truck has been more reliable. German efficiency does not seem to include reliability

My bimmer
By CTK on 06/30/10 11:44 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Original owner. Not as quick as my old 325 but still good. 30+mpg on trip on reg or mid grade. A good car with little trouble past the warranty except for display digits dying which was fixed gratis by dealer. OEM Pirelli tires were noisy from get go and after several attempts of balance and rotation I ditched them for Michelin Exalto All Season and have been happy ever since. Dealer again shared the pain with free install and alignment as comp for OEM cheapies.

Solid Car
By Northern Rider on 05/03/10 20:50 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this car since 2007 and just recently had its first problem, a gasket leak that cost $800 to repair, its been reliable, solid, wonderful to drive. Its the best looking car on the road in my eyes, I love the ageless design.

03 525 keeper
By ckem on 02/25/10 07:39 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it to beat model change and avoid Bangle butt. Second BMW. And second car so do not drive in bad winter weather much. Not as swift as prior car which was 325--same motor but heavier. Get 28 mpg on highway and 24-26 mixed driving. Run on unld regular at times. Plenty of room, comfortable and handles very well and has been reliable after some early quirks; new coils, ignition wires and alternator. OEM Pirelli's were noisy so after much discussion with dealer, I bought Michelin All Season and dealer mounted ,balanced did alignment free. No problems .Also had pixel problem on steering column and dealer did free computer replacement even when out of warranty. A keeper!

Used BMW the Good and the not so Good
By Hoosier BMW on 12/23/09 12:57 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Had BMW for 6 months now. Read many reviews. Like the older body style. It was a one owner all books and records. Impressions..handles well but stiffer than my many Hondas, ride is great, comfortable, Conti tires good. Maintenance costs more, if you buy used make sure you have records. Car is heavy and 525i has limited low end power, use only premium gas, so it costs more, I baby it. Bought aftermarket cupholders..solved that problem. Not so good in snow..snow tires a plus..but an added cost. Don't cheap out on maintenance. Oil changes cost $100+ and use synthetic...but a longer interval...10k, love car, but wife doesn't..says it drives like a tank.

A little more than the speed limit.
By 2manycars on 12/04/09 10:31 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I don't care where I'm going or how long it takes to get there, this car is way too much fun. Four people and trunk full, run 80 or so, and still get 29mpg. Stop for minute, get in and do it all over again. No road weary travelers in this car. 8 hour drive seems like 4. Regular maintenance, no major problems, not the cheapest car to maintain, and it's not easy to find a "good" BMW shop, but still it's worth every penny. I think I'll keep this car for a while, if I can get it back from the wife.

2003 BMW 525i Sedan
By MD on 03/24/09 12:00 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This is our first BMW which we bought new with 4 miles on the odometer and its still going strong after 6 years and 135,000 miles. We average 500 miles per week on it back/forth to work. Highway gas mileage averages 26 mpg. My wife loves the car and I hope it lasts another 100K miles. We've had no engine problems, but regular maintenance is expensive. Our dealer had to repair the moon roof 3 times due to the guide rails - kept breaking. Fortunately those repairs were under warranty and we solved that problem by not using the moon roof anymore. The LED dash display burns out and is very expensive to replace - my mechanic tells me this is a known defect that BMW will not acknowledge.

Never Again
By Scott on 08/04/08 13:03 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being stationed overseas I figured it was time to buy a new BMW. I owned this car for 4.5 years, replaced all 4 rotors three times, also replaced 4 of 6 ignition coils throughout my ownership. All under warranty, luckily. Replaced the cub hold assembly, too easily broken. It's great to drive especially on the German Autobahn, but the headaches of maintenance were too much. I sold this car and after three months the new owner e-mailed and said the ignition coil went out.