2003 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Electronic Gremlins
By veinr on 09/04/09 21:07 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this car a little over a year ago and have spent approx. 2K in repairs. The radiator is plastic as is the water pump impeller motor. It had several oil and hydraulic leaks which I had repaired. The rear tires wear on the inside quite rapidly due to camber settings with the independent suspension. The battery burned a hole in itself and I've had several turn signal issues, lights burning out, shorts etc. Right now I'm getting a low oil pressure light at idle even after replacing the sending unit. The cupholders and interior buttons are very cheap. Other than that, this is a really fun car to drive. The motor is bullet proof. I got 23mpg on a recent trip with 3 bikes on the roof rack.

Very Happy 525iT owner
By WDD on 10/19/06 14:17 PM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it certified preowned and love it. For an avg family it's a great car and very fun to drive. I have a 91 240SX that I'm having a problem giving up, but this is just as fun to drive and much more comfortable. I've been getting 26 to 29 mpg and the interior is comfortable and relaxing on the hwy. Overall I love it. I got the newest GPS disks and it made the GPS much more usable. The original 2001 disks were very weak in rural areas. I've owned it for 4 months now and am very happy with the decision.

Best value in the BMW line
By OC dude on 02/24/05 14:47 PM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Got this car as a demo with 7000 miles on it. Paid $37000 for a fully loaded car w/ every possible option. The 2.5 engine surprise me with its get up and go, especially if it's put in Sport Mode. I've had 4 adults in this car and still drive great with wonderful acceleration on the on-ramp. Build-quality is much better compared to my 2004 330Ci; definitely a step up from the 3-series. This car's interior is timeless compared to the spartan design of the new 5 series; quality of material and leather seeems to be of better quality; compare it for yourself and save yourself a whole lotta money by buying the previous generation 5.

Great car but get extended warranty
By dcdriver on 10/27/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

We bought our 2002 525 wagon new at the end of 2001, and it has been a great experience on the whole. The car is a joy to drive. It has also turned out to be practical for a family with young kids and a dog, and there is little that you can fit in an SUV that can't be coaxed into the back of this wagon. Our only complaint is that some of the electronics and interior fittings are not wearing well. Both of the front power seats have already failed, the stereo has had to be replaced, and numerous plastic fittings have fallen off. Our dealer told us that power seat failures are very common and a design flaw. Very expensive repair off warranty (which we are not yet).

Sportswagon review
By satch59 on 08/27/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

My kids can't understand why I have a wagon, instead of a big SUV. I can park any where, low center of gravity, and it's a sports car with a big trunk.

530 Lives Up to its Name
By Jay Emm on 07/15/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Excellent performance, responsiveness, and handling. The sport package gives performance tires and improved suspension that grip the road & offer a smooth ride. The premium package pampers you with soft Montana Leather, an auto-dimming rear view mirror and rain sensing wipers that function well. Heated seats are great in cold weather. Interior is well insulated. The vehicle accelerates well (0-60 in 6.8) and runs at 2900 RPMs at 90 MPH. The 530i is very adept at accelerating from 60 to 80 quickly. Spacious in the front and back, with 10-way power front seats. Seat, mirror and steering wheel settings can be programmed into your key.

Refined Excellence
By d.j. on 03/20/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the 2003 530i auto with comfort seats, heated steering wheel, xenon, and DSP stereo option. I commute 100 miles to work each day and the heated comfort seats and steering wheel keep my aching, middle-class, white collar bones feeling great. The Digital Sound Processing option for the stereo is nothing more than glorified reverb and definitely not worth the money. Performance, engineering, design, fit and finish are truly wonderful. In the last year of production, there does not appear to be a single bug in the car. This car is a keeper.

The best for the money
By Kristal on 12/27/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

This car is simply the best one for the money. It has an excilent ride and manners. It sounds increable and is unbeliveble comfortable at any speed. Truly the best. Can't wait for the new one!