Used 2003 BMW 5 Series 525i Consumer Reviews - 63 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

balanced sport sedan
By Ed Wormuth

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

If well maintained, the E39 BMW is an excellent choice for a daily driver that is fun to drive, safe and comfortable.

balanced sport sedan
By Ed Wormuth

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

164K and still a true road car!
By Corey Stark

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought my 525i a couple of weeks ago. I have owned a couple in the past---328xi and an X5. Admittedly, I was a bit skeptical about buying a car with so many miles on it but I was really up against the wall. WIth 4 kids in college, my funds were limited. But I just loved the ride. I am 6'2" and 240lbs and an ex football player. Needless to say, I need my comfort. This car handles me just fine. I bought it and decided to take it on a road trip with my sweetheart. We went from MPLS, MN to Albuquerque, NM and back...then went to Lewistown MT!! No issues at all. Speed limits were 80 mph! This vehicle just loves the open road. Comfortable---even at the gas pumps. Considering my speed we still managed over 26.6 mpg overall for our 5k trip. Performance is totally acceptable, quiet cockpit, and the handling---oh my, the handling. There is simply nothing like a BMW on the road---it is happiest there! Now just after purchase I did get stuck with a crank ventilation valve issue. $1043.00 at the dealer. and the ABS system is on the bug. But I am pretty old school and never liked ABS anyway. Dealer said it wont hurt the car not to fix ($1700.00 plus $400 for reprograming) so I am running it as is. The one previous owner took good care of this vehicle. So as far as a recommendation goes for this car, I would have to say that I recommend it highly. CHeck it out thoroughly when you come across one with higher miles on the clock. Then take it to a BMW dealer and have it scoped--about $150.00. Trust me---get this done! Then you can be very comfortable with your purchase.

Best car I've ever had
By bdclass

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Bought in September 2014 with 93,000 miles from a family friend. Only paid $5400. She bought it cpo in 2006 for $32,000 had 19,000 miles when she purchased it. Incredibly reliable car. Only issues with the car are the clutch crapped at 101,000 miles, new clutch for $1,200 drives like new. Passenger side power seat died when our friends owned it they spent around $1000 to fix. The drivers side power seat has died on me in my position so we aren't fixing it. The instrumentation is pixlelated, also too expensive to fix. I put 16,000 miles on it in one year of ownership and have never been worried about it leaving me sit. For a 12 year old car it drives like new, I enjoy driving it much more than my 2009 Honda Accord v6, despite it being half the age with 30,000 less miles. (Also a nice car though for those on the market for a car.) Once I get a new job I'm going to buy a new 3 series, because that is about the last 4 door BMW you can buy with a manual transmission.

The greatest car on the road!!!
By anthony_e39

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Being only 16 years old I am fortunate enough to have a 2003 525i for my first car it's got 45k miles and this car is truly a dream! It rides so smooth! Mine has the sport package and it is a joy to drive! It handles like a dream and the most fun car to own! If you have the opportunity to own one DONT HESITATE!!!! The repairs are kinda pricey but if you're a car guy like myself DIYing it will save you plenty of money! Truly love this car and am now a loyal BMW owner!