Used 2003 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews - 224 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

It's been a great car
By Terry B

2003 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

balanced sport sedan
By Ed Wormuth

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

If well maintained, the E39 BMW is an excellent choice for a daily driver that is fun to drive, safe and comfortable.

balanced sport sedan
By Ed Wormuth

Das Auto!!
By T Embich

2003 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Purchased our 2003 530i a little over a year ago. Got it for $5K and at 130K miles. I do most of my own repairs and I've never seen such awesome engineering on a car. It's a pleasure to work on if you are into car repair.
Driving it is a real thrill that never gets old. We've taken it on several long trips and it just loves the open road. Seats are amazingly comfortable. Usually back seats are a weak point in most sedans but this BMW has very comfortable rear seats. Gas mileage on a combined city/highway commute is about 25 mpg. For a 24 valve 6 cylinder that is very good mileage. Hope to keep this beauty for the foreseeable future.

164K and still a true road car!
By Corey Stark

2003 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I just bought my 525i a couple of weeks ago. I have owned a couple in the past---328xi and an X5. Admittedly, I was a bit skeptical about buying a car with so many miles on it but I was really up against the wall. WIth 4 kids in college, my funds were limited. But I just loved the ride. I am 6'2" and 240lbs and an ex football player. Needless to say, I need my comfort. This car handles me just fine. I bought it and decided to take it on a road trip with my sweetheart. We went from MPLS, MN to Albuquerque, NM and back...then went to Lewistown MT!! No issues at all. Speed limits were 80 mph! This vehicle just loves the open road. Comfortable---even at the gas pumps. Considering my speed we still managed over 26.6 mpg overall for our 5k trip. Performance is totally acceptable, quiet cockpit, and the handling---oh my, the handling. There is simply nothing like a BMW on the road---it is happiest there! Now just after purchase I did get stuck with a crank ventilation valve issue. $1043.00 at the dealer. and the ABS system is on the bug. But I am pretty old school and never liked ABS anyway. Dealer said it wont hurt the car not to fix ($1700.00 plus $400 for reprograming) so I am running it as is. The one previous owner took good care of this vehicle. So as far as a recommendation goes for this car, I would have to say that I recommend it highly. CHeck it out thoroughly when you come across one with higher miles on the clock. Then take it to a BMW dealer and have it scoped--about $150.00. Trust me---get this done! Then you can be very comfortable with your purchase.