Suprised at the poor quality from BMW
By lisa112 on
2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)
I've owned my BWM for 6 years and have been disappointed with the reliability and the quality of the interior. The cupholders broke early on because they are cheap plastic. There are controls on the panel that are falling apart. The LCD panel is almost completely burned out and I can't see what radio station or time it is. Even the odometer and gas mileage readout is starting to burn out. BMW told me it would be about $2000 to fix it. I am so surprised that a $50,000 car doesn't have better quality materials. I have also been disappointed with the reliability. Last year I spent about $4,000 on repairs. I won't buy another BWM.
By brandon002
on 10/14/14 19:27 PM (PDT)

Sounds to me like you either purchased the car from someone that didn't care for it properly, or didn't care for it properly yourself. The M54 engine is bulletproof and will last 300k miles with ease of maintained properly. You posted this in 2012, at the time the car was 10 years old. I'm curious as to how many miles it has? Any 10 year old car is going to have issues with plastic and minor cosmetics. If you're savvy you can replace the LCD readouts dirt cheap with brand new parts purchased online. I've owned about 10 different BMW's, some with as high as 270k miles on them. All of them were rock solid.