2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: One year anniversary

2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

525i Sedan (2.5L 6-cyl. 5-speed Manual)

One year anniversary
By 3sons66 on

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

One word to describe this car: FUN One word to describe reliability: STINKS BMW for the past year has meant "Bring More Wrenches" in my case...but there is something about this car I absolutely love. Incredible handling and power. Replaced in the last twelve months: Water pump, radiator, pulleys, belts, valve cover gaskets, plugs all total about $1500 plus. Do research on forums to reduce annual maintenance costs..MANY DIY's for items replaced. I am amazed that a $65000 car needs this much attention only after 70K short miles. Looks like rear air suspension will be on the list for 2010. Easy fix though. Would I buy again? Probably not. Hope the new ones rank a little higher.

POWER...POWER and POWER Cargo Room (awesome) Ease of changing my own oil (filter located up top) Multiple bimmer forums to fix things myself. Handling Quality materials inside.

Reliability Why do I have to replace 1/2 of the major engine components after 70,000 miles? Rear gate struts. Auto adjustable headlights (break)