2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Review: Love the car, hate service exp

2002 BMW 5 Series - Consumer Review

Love the car, hate service experience
By 530i Owner on

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second E39 and I must say the 530i is a huge improvement over the 528i it replaced. It's a blast to drive hard and at it's limits. It's comfortable for 5 adults. It's rock solid engine and transmission are a delight. My sales experience was the best, but I have a personal relationship with the business manager at the dealership I chose. I had to go 350 miles away from home to get treated like a human being, but it was worth it. On the negative, my service experience at local dealers has been less than acceptable. I have a recurring problem with my driver seat that has been reported on 4 visits and still not resolved. Sad.

in no particular order: heated sport seats, sport package handling, fat M5 steering wheel and controls, auto-dim rear view mirror, silky smooth I6 engine, ergonomics, fit and finish, quiet interior, xenon headlights, style, availability of bolt-on performance improvements

Dealer service needs much improvement. Driver sport seat suffers from clicking noise on twisty roads, dealer cannot (or will not) fix. CD based navigation is slow to respond and poor compared to competition. Stock sound system is laughable for a car of this price. An 18" wheel option.