Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

What's not to love
By enzoandpiero

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

a perfect sport sedan. Our 4th BMW and they just keep getting better. No problems whatsoever. Great dealer support and attitude.

Favorite Features

Performance,performance, and performance. Perfect build quality

Suggested Improvements

A little more interior room

Love the car, hate service experience
By 530i Owner

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second E39 and I must say the 530i is a huge improvement over the 528i it replaced. It's a blast to drive hard and at it's limits. It's comfortable for 5 adults. It's rock solid engine and transmission are a delight. My sales experience was the best, but I have a personal relationship with the business manager at the dealership I chose. I had to go 350 miles away from home to get treated like a human being, but it was worth it. On the negative, my service experience at local dealers has been less than acceptable. I have a recurring problem with my driver seat that has been reported on 4 visits and still not resolved. Sad.

Favorite Features

in no particular order: heated sport seats, sport package handling, fat M5 steering wheel and controls, auto-dim rear view mirror, silky smooth I6 engine, ergonomics, fit and finish, quiet interior, xenon headlights, style, availability of bolt-on performance improvements

Suggested Improvements

Dealer service needs much improvement. Driver sport seat suffers from clicking noise on twisty roads, dealer cannot (or will not) fix. CD based navigation is slow to respond and poor compared to competition. Stock sound system is laughable for a car of this price. An 18" wheel option.

Nothing but a Beamer!
By PAScott

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just brought home my 02 Certified Pre- owned 525i after I traded in my Z3. I can't believe it's the same engine. It does lake a little bit, but this car is SUPER responsive. I have the Sport + Premium Package. Nice. I must agree...the cup holders aren't worth the plastic their made of. (COME ON BMW). Overall...a step up from the Z3. I LOVE this car

Favorite Features

Xenon Headlights, Smooth/responsive ride.

Suggested Improvements

The universal remote needs to accept code-changing garage openers. AND THOSE CUP HOLDERS. SHEESH! BMW should refund all of us 525 owners!! :)

Great car but low reliability
By LuvChiana

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This was my first BMW, and it was the best car I ever owned -- until its second birthday. Great handling, braking, overall feel. Above average marks on luxury and comfort. No problems until the two year mark, then all sort hit in fairly quick order. Including: electrical system problems stranded me three times in two weeks, rotting trim, radio & climate controls, and computer display panel fading out. Traded car after Internet research - - BMW's OK reliabilty in general but if you get one that goes bad it really goes bad.

Favorite Features

Handling, braking, comfortable seats, zippy pickup.

Suggested Improvements

Premium sound good but not "premium" quality. The well documented poor cupholders. Not enough storage space for things like CD's and sunglasses.

Everything perfect so far...
By Snow Queen

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Despite my reluctance to move from a Z3 to the 530i sedan, I feel like I've sacrificed just a small amount of performance that is far outweighed by the luxuries and amenities of this outstanding car. I might beat others out of a light a little slower now, but not by much, and I'm doing it in comfort. This is a grown-up, safe, well-built car that I can still view as a toy.

Favorite Features

Seats are unbelievably comfortable and mold to your body. Car controls the road as it should -- cornering, braking, accelerating all nearly as outstanding as those features on the Z3. Gas mileage is reasonable for this engine and HP.

Suggested Improvements

As always, the damn cupholders continue to plague the car. Would have preferred option for CD changer in console rather than trunk.