Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

BMW540 Review
By Avery

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The 540 is a joy to drive. Handles like a race car with 4 doors. Fuel economy better not be important to you if you own one of these. I smile everytime I climb in.

I love the look and feel of this vehicle.

Cupholders

New Used 530i
By 3cats

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Sport, Premium, Xenons, Split seat, ColdWeather, Comfort Seats, Manual Tran. Very easy to drive in town, can stay in3rd and accelerate from 1500 rpm. Easy to stay in 3rd or 4th on highway and forget to shift because the engine is so smooth and quiet at high rpm. So an automatic would probably save gas for me! So easy to drive and sport suspension is still OK for comfort. Feel the road with bumps on expansion joints but the suspension absorbs them so you are aware but not punished. Trunk is not so large but squared off so I hope it holds enough for my trip south. Got 28 mgp ontrip of 1200 miles. Get 24 mpg around my small town driving. A lovely, solid car. Comfort seats are OK.

Smoothness of engine. Power at low RPM. Xenons make night driving easier. Handling and ability to absorb roadbumps without making them disappear. Rain-sensing wipers. Premium audio gives full sound esp. on such a quiet car.

Larger glove box. It's only large enough to hold the BMW leather owner's manual case. Have some console storage under the armrest (space used for rearseat air ducts makes this impossible, I guess).Include a cupholder that clips onto the center dash vents. Mine cost $6, works fine, (looks odd).

What's not to love
By enzoandpiero

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

a perfect sport sedan. Our 4th BMW and they just keep getting better. No problems whatsoever. Great dealer support and attitude.

Performance,performance, and performance. Perfect build quality

A little more interior room

Love the car, hate service experience
By 530i Owner

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This is my second E39 and I must say the 530i is a huge improvement over the 528i it replaced. It's a blast to drive hard and at it's limits. It's comfortable for 5 adults. It's rock solid engine and transmission are a delight. My sales experience was the best, but I have a personal relationship with the business manager at the dealership I chose. I had to go 350 miles away from home to get treated like a human being, but it was worth it. On the negative, my service experience at local dealers has been less than acceptable. I have a recurring problem with my driver seat that has been reported on 4 visits and still not resolved. Sad.

in no particular order: heated sport seats, sport package handling, fat M5 steering wheel and controls, auto-dim rear view mirror, silky smooth I6 engine, ergonomics, fit and finish, quiet interior, xenon headlights, style, availability of bolt-on performance improvements

Dealer service needs much improvement. Driver sport seat suffers from clicking noise on twisty roads, dealer cannot (or will not) fix. CD based navigation is slow to respond and poor compared to competition. Stock sound system is laughable for a car of this price. An 18" wheel option.

Nothing but a Beamer!
By PAScott

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Just brought home my 02 Certified Pre- owned 525i after I traded in my Z3. I can't believe it's the same engine. It does lake a little bit, but this car is SUPER responsive. I have the Sport + Premium Package. Nice. I must agree...the cup holders aren't worth the plastic their made of. (COME ON BMW). Overall...a step up from the Z3. I LOVE this car

Xenon Headlights, Smooth/responsive ride.

The universal remote needs to accept code-changing garage openers. AND THOSE CUP HOLDERS. SHEESH! BMW should refund all of us 525 owners!! :)

• SUV