Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 5 Series

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Excellent Value!
By BTinDallas

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a car after losing my company car. I looked at a lot of offerings and finally decided on the 530i. I bought it about 4 mos. ago and love it. This is my 2nd BMW (my other is a 1988 M6) and it is everything I thought it would be. I bought mine with 65K on the odo, but it is a CPO car with the 100K warranty. It is probably the best value out there. I got one of the best sport sedans made, with a factory warranty, for under 21 grand! I'm glad I got the sport package, it really adds to the looks and handling!

Favorite Features

Sport package with steptronic transmission! Styling, ride, gas mileage.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders! Interior storage - I bought the center console conversion kit to replace the standard cell phone holder with a lift up storage area, best $150 I ever spent!

Just over a year and love it
By Jeff Allen

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The car is solid, goes like mad and is a blast to drive. The V8 is a hoss, smooth and has lots of power. The balanced handling is also incredible. It is hard to believe you are driving such a big car. No reliability issues to speak of yet. The car sucks the gas if you drive it - not much of a surprise there. The stereo is also very good and feature list goes on and on. Sport package is a must. Mine has no GPS but I don't know if it is necessary - less to worry about breaking.

Favorite Features

Handling and straight line acceleration. Fit and finish (exterior and interior). Good looking exterior design.

Suggested Improvements

Weird rubber tie downs in trunk. Annoying problem with LCD below the odometer (some rows of lights don't light up). Bad brake dust on wheels.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Jeff

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used with about 30K miles on it. I have been driving it for about a year and absolutely love it. I drove some used Audis and Mercedes and they just didn't have the sporty/luxury feel I was looking for in a car. The engine is quick to respond when you step on it, and there is just enough room in the car for my 6'7'' frame, with enough to fit my average sized friends in the back. I test drove the 525i and there wasn't enough power. Loved the 540i, but didn't want the gas mileage problem. Couldn't ask for a better car, love it and I never see myself going away from BMWs.

Favorite Features

Can't complain about it!

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders, stronger stock stereo system (wish I got the prem. audio upgrade), larger glovebox, rear geated seats, hazard light button not in the middle console area.

Disappointing
By Anonymous

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Given the uniformly positive reviews on the e39 body 5-series, I was prepared to love this car. But it has been so disappointing that I'm considering selling it after five months of ownership. The problem is simple -- and no it's not the cupholders, which I agree are flimsy but they don't bother me. It's the constant and apparently unfixable creaks, squeaks, and rattles from the doors, the rear hatch, the seats, etc. (I've had it in at the dealer several times.) Also disappointing is the junky sound of the doors when slammed closed. Of the about 10 cars I've owned, this is one of the biggest bucket of bolts of the lot. If I could go back in time, I would NOT have bought this car.

Favorite Features

The performance is good, the engine is responsive and smooth, and the car looks great. The sport seats are firm, but endlessly adjustable and quite comfortable. The aftermarket iPod integration with the stock stereo is wonderful.

Suggested Improvements

The interior trim is so junky and noisy as to make the car nearly undrivable. The doors clatter when shut like an old Camaro, and squeak and shudder over bumps. I honestly can't believe others haven't noticed and/or reported on this.

Love this car!
By gkatlanta

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned three previous BMWs including an E39 Wagon but nothing has come close to the performance and handling of this car. Definitely a wolf in sheep's clothing. Wonderful to drive on a long winding road. Not a single problem since I've had this car. I still love driving this car every day.

Favorite Features

Accleration, handling, steering, sports suspension. The interior is very well thought out... everything is exactly where it should be without the driver having to stop and think about it or utilize iDrive.

Suggested Improvements

More front leg room but I'm not complaining, really. Better dealer service is needed. I don't even take my BMW to the dealer anymore. Could care less about the cupholders. I'm more interested in driving than drinking in this car!