Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Perfect Car
By jetjock07

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for only 2 days, but it feels like I've had it longer. It's a beautiful car. Mine came with the black leather interior and Premium Package along with the sunshades in the rear. The car handles well, not too stiff or too cushiony. Has good power, the 525i was too slow so I got the 530i. I just wish now I had seat heaters with my car.

Xenon headlights, sunshades in the rear, leather seats.

Cup holders are cheap. Could use something much stronger and something that fits a variety of drink sizes.

Excellent Value!
By BTinDallas

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I was in the market for a car after losing my company car. I looked at a lot of offerings and finally decided on the 530i. I bought it about 4 mos. ago and love it. This is my 2nd BMW (my other is a 1988 M6) and it is everything I thought it would be. I bought mine with 65K on the odo, but it is a CPO car with the 100K warranty. It is probably the best value out there. I got one of the best sport sedans made, with a factory warranty, for under 21 grand! I'm glad I got the sport package, it really adds to the looks and handling!

Sport package with steptronic transmission! Styling, ride, gas mileage.

Cup holders! Interior storage - I bought the center console conversion kit to replace the standard cell phone holder with a lift up storage area, best $150 I ever spent!

Just over a year and love it
By Jeff Allen

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The car is solid, goes like mad and is a blast to drive. The V8 is a hoss, smooth and has lots of power. The balanced handling is also incredible. It is hard to believe you are driving such a big car. No reliability issues to speak of yet. The car sucks the gas if you drive it - not much of a surprise there. The stereo is also very good and feature list goes on and on. Sport package is a must. Mine has no GPS but I don't know if it is necessary - less to worry about breaking.

Handling and straight line acceleration. Fit and finish (exterior and interior). Good looking exterior design.

Weird rubber tie downs in trunk. Annoying problem with LCD below the odometer (some rows of lights don't light up). Bad brake dust on wheels.

The Ultimate Driving Machine
By Jeff

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased the car used with about 30K miles on it. I have been driving it for about a year and absolutely love it. I drove some used Audis and Mercedes and they just didn't have the sporty/luxury feel I was looking for in a car. The engine is quick to respond when you step on it, and there is just enough room in the car for my 6'7'' frame, with enough to fit my average sized friends in the back. I test drove the 525i and there wasn't enough power. Loved the 540i, but didn't want the gas mileage problem. Couldn't ask for a better car, love it and I never see myself going away from BMWs.

Can't complain about it!

Cup holders, stronger stock stereo system (wish I got the prem. audio upgrade), larger glovebox, rear geated seats, hazard light button not in the middle console area.

Disappointing
By Anonymous

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Given the uniformly positive reviews on the e39 body 5-series, I was prepared to love this car. But it has been so disappointing that I'm considering selling it after five months of ownership. The problem is simple -- and no it's not the cupholders, which I agree are flimsy but they don't bother me. It's the constant and apparently unfixable creaks, squeaks, and rattles from the doors, the rear hatch, the seats, etc. (I've had it in at the dealer several times.) Also disappointing is the junky sound of the doors when slammed closed. Of the about 10 cars I've owned, this is one of the biggest bucket of bolts of the lot. If I could go back in time, I would NOT have bought this car.

The performance is good, the engine is responsive and smooth, and the car looks great. The sport seats are firm, but endlessly adjustable and quite comfortable. The aftermarket iPod integration with the stock stereo is wonderful.

The interior trim is so junky and noisy as to make the car nearly undrivable. The doors clatter when shut like an old Camaro, and squeak and shudder over bumps. I honestly can't believe others haven't noticed and/or reported on this.

• SUV