2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
expensive fun
By kirkd1 on 02/01/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

My expectations of this car have been met. It's fun to drive and is the most comfortable seat in the house. My bad back hurts in just about everything except my sport seats. I hate the noise I now have from the tires that started at about 10k miles and its getting worse. Those low profile tires aren’t all bad though helping turn-in that makes me smile when I need a little rush. I’m disappointed in the “slipping clutch” of the A/T. The upgraded sport steering wheel is mainly plastic and it stares me in the face. The in-cabin entertainment I paid extra for could sound better and have an in-dash changer.

BMW 540i 6 Speed - The best sports sedan
By Peter J on 01/28/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

The BMW 5 series has always been excellent and the current model introduced in 1997 is no exception. This is a quiet sophisticated car that has amazing performance. The 6 Speed manual transmission can be a little baulky when cold but once she is warmed, this car is phenomenal. As is the case with most BMW's (I have owned 6) speed is achieved with little fuss and the turbine like drive in the back never gives up, right up to maximum speed you can get away with. The car is, without doubt, one of the finest cars on the road. The interior is a little dated now, but this car is still a winner with build quality to match.

A Dream
By tlffxhouston on 01/23/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

This car is a joy to drive and has an exterior design that is plainly beautiful. The interior's design is average and the comfort is average. However, the driving the 530 is pure fun and comfort, with a stronge feeling of safety.

530i best car you can have!!!!
By eduardo on 01/12/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Im happy with my 530i premium, sport, this is a excellent car, fuel economy in the highway i got 30 mpg, at 85 mph, and this is a safest, powerful, elegant, and the best on resale value, if you like the 5 series go for the 530i, the 525i the engine is to small for the body and weight of the car.

Awsome 2002 BMW 540 i 6 Speed
By hkochat on 01/08/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 6M)

Absolutely stunning performance. One of BMWs innovative performance vehicle for anyone who enjoys manual transmission

BMW 540i-Great car compared to M-B
By John E. Hate on 01/04/03 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Great car. Replaced 1992 M-B 500SEL with this gem. Benz was nothing but trouble. Have had no problems at all. Surprisingly, handles great in the snow without snow tires. Recommend highly if you want a car with much power.

530 Wow
By kbkannady on 12/17/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

1st BMW. The car has more than met our expecations. Powerful, comfortable and good looking. I bought the 530 for my wife's 50th birthday and did I get this one right!

Best car I've owned
By Poway driver on 12/07/02 00:00 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Wonderful car. Great handling which is especially noticable at higher speeds compared to other cars. Braking is excellent. Acceleration is appropriate for engine size. Fuel economy better than expected.

Save your money
By TeeMo on 10/21/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Reading the other reviews,I wonder if I was sold a completely different car. First,the seats are so deeply contoured that the left bolster interferes with comfortable shifting. My leg goes to sleep after about 30 minutes. If I get the steering wheel in a comfortable place, I can no longer see the instrument panel. The shifter is sloppy and the clutch has no definite point of engagement. The upper gear ratios are so close that it is hard to tell which gear I am in. Combined with that is the fact that 1st gear is so tall that I am at redline not much above 20 mph.

I'd buy it again
By sezme2 on 10/01/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

My next automobile will be the M5 vs. S500, until then, this machine is more than adequate. I'd love a roadster type, but they're too impractical for a family-man. I chose this car for it's stellar passive safety ratings (checkout hywsafety. org) and its ability to handle precisely to actively avoid a collision. My wife had not been an auto-phile, but this car has made her passionate about driving.