Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Bmw 5-series - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Wagons are Back
By Kelly

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sport Wagon (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Love driving the 525 wagon. It has the utility of an SUV with better gas mileage, lower insurance rates, and great handling & performance. Always have sufficient power when needed. Originally bought the wagon for our dog (in our 20s, no kids), but now wouldn't go without a BMW wagon! Would have never expected strangers to stop us on the street complimenting a wagon, but this happens frequently. We're already planning an upgrade to the '08 535xi Sports Wagon!

Favorite Features

Tons of space, but never feels like you're driving a large car. Seats fold down flush and have always been able to carry long & oversized purchases from IKEA, Home Depot, etc. Heated seats always nice. Cargo net behind rear seat that unrolls and secures into ceiling to keep dog in back.

Suggested Improvements

Cupholders are lacking, but bought a nifty aftermarket cupholder that folds down into the center console.

Love the car
By Dan

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

2nd BMW and I'll run this one until the wheels fall off. Styling is classic. The car looks great even at 6 years old. Finish is still top notch. Fun and comfortable to drive

Favorite Features

Styling, performance, reliability, luxury.

Suggested Improvements

Ah, those cupholders

Great performance.
By Roger K.

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Arguably the best sports sedan of its time (M5 excepted) and a classic in the making. This car is all about driver synergy and performance. You feel integrated with the machine: it does what you want, when you want. Reliability is a problem: radiator, digital displays, door seals, HVAC have all failed. Although problems are expected four years out, I never had this much trouble with Japanese cars. That being said, try finding a Japanese sedan that is as good to drive. Low profile tires and sports package make for cautious parking (but I can't blame BMW for that). Buy this car if driving experience is the priority.

Favorite Features

Handling, power, styling, comfort, sound system.

Suggested Improvements

Reliability, cupholders. That's it. I understand they fixed the cupholders with the current version.

540i cannot be beat
By raj

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever driven. Also own a CL500 and I prefer the 540 over the Merz. Great car and the only reason I would replace is if I get a 545i. Performance cannot be beat, great ergonomics. BMW really builds a car around driving. Don't get this car if you like eating or drinking in the car, that's what American cars are for.

Favorite Features

Power!

Suggested Improvements

Shorter gears should be default, although this can be overcome by shifting into Sport mode.

Perfect Car
By jetjock07

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for only 2 days, but it feels like I've had it longer. It's a beautiful car. Mine came with the black leather interior and Premium Package along with the sunshades in the rear. The car handles well, not too stiff or too cushiony. Has good power, the 525i was too slow so I got the 530i. I just wish now I had seat heaters with my car.

Favorite Features

Xenon headlights, sunshades in the rear, leather seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cup holders are cheap. Could use something much stronger and something that fits a variety of drink sizes.