Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

My last BMW
By Jordan

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience up to the time the warranty ran out. Purchased my car new in October of 2002. After the warranty expired at 50K it was in the shop about every month and each trip was about $700, after my $200 sympathy discount. I by-passed the $1200 front passenger seat dual motor replacement and had them just lock the seat and disconnect the motors. It was one thing after another. The only way I would ever have another BMW is on a 3 year lease and get rid of it as soon as it is over 50,000 miles. Otherwise I loved it.

Favorite Features

Looks/performance

Suggested Improvements

Too many breakdowns and too expensive to repair.

My 1st and probably last BMW
By Steve

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my silver beauty (All German cars should be silver) "Certified Used" it had 36000 miles on the clock (Let me think for a sec... Hey! Itís a lease return) Came with full warranty to 50K. All I've had done to it is regularly scheduled maintenance; it looks, runs, and feels brand new. I said it's my last BMW because I'm 63 and it'll probably outlive me... LOL.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance (hits 80-90 before I even notice the flashing red and blue lights following me) and I LOVE the cup holders, they are well hidden, take up negligible space, and I NEVER use them. This car is made for Driving NOT Drinking!

Suggested Improvements

Trying to figure out a way that I can outlast my BMW, The BEST automobile I've ever owned. I will drive this car until they pry its steering wheel from my cold dead hands.

Don't make 'em like this any more :)
By K Johnstone

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Every once in a while things come together and result in a special product. The BMW E39 is an example of such. - The 540iA Sport Package is a near ideal blend of sports sedan and luxury cruiser. Build quality is superior to modern BMW's with thicker body work metal and orange peel free paint. Hoping that the new F60 will match it - somehow I doubt it. The E39 is I think that special.

Favorite Features

Exterior design and V8.

Suggested Improvements

Some interior detail.

Don't sweat the cup holders!
By Ross

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car new and have never regretted the decision. Every option and they all continue to work for going on 8 years. I service it only at BMW and though pricey, it pays to work with the best. Fun to drive in all weather and runs like it is on rails. Great not to have the I drive and all components work like the car is new. I'd get another one but at this rate the current BMW will last another 10 years. The extra money was worth it in every way. I've added sat radio, and now it's perfect.

Favorite Features

Heated steering wheel ($150 option), heated seats, front and rear distance indicators and the shades around are great. Hands free cell phone and all safety features make it a car for the ages.

Suggested Improvements

Drink smaller drinks and use the available drink holders or sit a larger one between the seats.

Over all happy with my BMW
By me and my bimmer

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

When I first bought my beamer and sat inside it, immediately I was consumed by the quality and durability of the design. As I drove it for the first time around my town, the way it handled was very impressive. Tight steering and the way it handles bumpy roads was extremely well. Engine performance is there when you need it with smoothness and power.This is the first German vehicle I have owned and I would have to grade it with and A+.

Favorite Features

My favorites about my BMW. Smooth ride, air climate control, engine power and the interior design.

Suggested Improvements

The cup holders.