Used 2002 BMW 5 Series Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:

Open your wallet
By loberant

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Love the car, but it breaks every 3000 miles. Both power seats needed new wiring, radiator, alarm sensor, bushings?, brake sensors, trans went into fail safe, glove box broke, oil leaks, and some other things I can't remember. This all happened in the last 15,000 miles. My vehicle currently has 75,000 miles on it. Drives great though, cannot compare. Love the look and its true class. But THIS IS NOT a reliable car. Purchase a Honda/Acura/Lexus/Toyota/Subaru if you want reliable.

Favorite Features

The feel! The look! The Sound!

Suggested Improvements

A metal radiator would be a good start.

Wondering which way to go???
By Mark Shaw

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I've owned my BMW for 4 years now - grey with sport pkg. Love the drive as I used to own a 1988 535i. After the mechanic called me today with a radiator/fan bearing replacement bill, I almost went out to trade it in. I have had a series of small issues with the car: dash pixels, xenon light failure, oil leaks, rubber dipstick boot oil leak, and more...I have 102K miles on the car but wondering if I should cut my losses and move on to newer...positive is that it has ALWAYS started like a charm...maybe I've replaced most of the parts that can wear over time...

Favorite Features

Ride, handling, looks, rims on sport package, steering wheel, interior feel, ease of use, key opens all windows when hot, power.

Suggested Improvements

Nickle and dime stuff, cup holders, blind spot, low front spoiler.

Fun car
By Me

2002 BMW 5 Series 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this car with the six speed manual and it is fun to drive. She'll go 140 before you know it. On road trips I can break 30 mpg on the highway but city is closer to 15 mpg. However BMW quality is gone. I've had replace the water pump, radiator, a few parts in the drivers seat, sunroof, and lately the battery keeps dying and no one can figure out why.

Favorite Features

Smooth ride, amazing performance and great looks.

Suggested Improvements

Overall quality.

My last BMW
By Jordan

2002 BMW 5 Series 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

Great experience up to the time the warranty ran out. Purchased my car new in October of 2002. After the warranty expired at 50K it was in the shop about every month and each trip was about $700, after my $200 sympathy discount. I by-passed the $1200 front passenger seat dual motor replacement and had them just lock the seat and disconnect the motors. It was one thing after another. The only way I would ever have another BMW is on a 3 year lease and get rid of it as soon as it is over 50,000 miles. Otherwise I loved it.

Favorite Features

Looks/performance

Suggested Improvements

Too many breakdowns and too expensive to repair.

My 1st and probably last BMW
By Steve

2002 BMW 5 Series 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my silver beauty (All German cars should be silver) "Certified Used" it had 36000 miles on the clock (Let me think for a sec... Hey! Itís a lease return) Came with full warranty to 50K. All I've had done to it is regularly scheduled maintenance; it looks, runs, and feels brand new. I said it's my last BMW because I'm 63 and it'll probably outlive me... LOL.

Favorite Features

Looks, comfort, performance (hits 80-90 before I even notice the flashing red and blue lights following me) and I LOVE the cup holders, they are well hidden, take up negligible space, and I NEVER use them. This car is made for Driving NOT Drinking!

Suggested Improvements

Trying to figure out a way that I can outlast my BMW, The BEST automobile I've ever owned. I will drive this car until they pry its steering wheel from my cold dead hands.