2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific 5 Series model:
Don't make 'em like this any more :)
By K Johnstone on 03/24/09 21:08 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Every once in a while things come together and result in a special product. The BMW E39 is an example of such. - The 540iA Sport Package is a near ideal blend of sports sedan and luxury cruiser. Build quality is superior to modern BMW's with thicker body work metal and orange peel free paint. Hoping that the new F60 will match it - somehow I doubt it. The E39 is I think that special.

Don't sweat the cup holders!
By Ross on 03/17/09 17:12 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the car new and have never regretted the decision. Every option and they all continue to work for going on 8 years. I service it only at BMW and though pricey, it pays to work with the best. Fun to drive in all weather and runs like it is on rails. Great not to have the I drive and all components work like the car is new. I'd get another one but at this rate the current BMW will last another 10 years. The extra money was worth it in every way. I've added sat radio, and now it's perfect.

Over all happy with my BMW
By me and my bimmer on 09/06/08 07:17 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

When I first bought my beamer and sat inside it, immediately I was consumed by the quality and durability of the design. As I drove it for the first time around my town, the way it handled was very impressive. Tight steering and the way it handles bumpy roads was extremely well. Engine performance is there when you need it with smoothness and power.This is the first German vehicle I have owned and I would have to grade it with and A+.

Truly the Ultimate Driving Machine
By RodneyD on 08/08/08 12:52 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have owned my 530i for only 5 months and it is truly the ultimate driving machine. This is my 3rd BMW. Previously owned a 3 and wife drives an x3. This car makes me look for the long way home. I especially look for the curvy roads. The styling is classic. The handling is outstanding. The car is just fun to drive. If you are looking for a vehicle that is a blast to drive then do yourself a favor and buy a BMW!

Best Vehicle I've Ever Owned Hands Down
By Jmonk on 06/19/08 07:07 AM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

I bought my BMW used, however it still performs/drives/handles/ better than ANY other car I have ever driven new or used. My 6 y/o BMW even drives better than the brand new police interceptor I drive for work. Owning a BMW will mean more $ for general maintenance but an independant BMW shop can lessen the cost of ownership. Driving a BMW truely is "the ultimate driving experience". Once you drive one, you'll know. With regards to fuel economy, these vehicles run on premium fuel. This cost will usually compute to no more than an extra $4 a tank, but you WILL get outstanding performance and good fuel economy. Yesterday I got 30 MPG highway on an out-of-town trip. My vehicle is a 525i sport.

Really nice ride
By David Lagarde on 03/10/08 16:57 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I am 56 and haven't enjoyed driving this much since I was 19 yrs old and owned a 1997 Chevelle 396 SS. I wish I had more places to go. I can't think of any negatives.

Love the car
By Dan on 02/18/08 08:08 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 525i 4dr Sedan (2.5L 6cyl 5M)

2nd BMW and I'll run this one until the wheels fall off. Styling is classic. The car looks great even at 6 years old. Finish is still top notch. Fun and comfortable to drive

Great performance.
By Roger K. on 08/07/07 20:12 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Arguably the best sports sedan of its time (M5 excepted) and a classic in the making. This car is all about driver synergy and performance. You feel integrated with the machine: it does what you want, when you want. Reliability is a problem: radiator, digital displays, door seals, HVAC have all failed. Although problems are expected four years out, I never had this much trouble with Japanese cars. That being said, try finding a Japanese sedan that is as good to drive. Low profile tires and sports package make for cautious parking (but I can't blame BMW for that). Buy this car if driving experience is the priority.

540i cannot be beat
By raj on 05/06/07 22:51 PM (PDT)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 540i 4dr Sedan (4.4L 8cyl 5A)

Best car I have ever driven. Also own a CL500 and I prefer the 540 over the Merz. Great car and the only reason I would replace is if I get a 545i. Performance cannot be beat, great ergonomics. BMW really builds a car around driving. Don't get this car if you like eating or drinking in the car, that's what American cars are for.

Perfect Car
By jetjock07 on 12/17/06 10:03 AM (PST)

2002 BMW 5 Series Sedan 530i 4dr Sedan (3.0L 6cyl 5M)

I have had this vehicle for only 2 days, but it feels like I've had it longer. It's a beautiful car. Mine came with the black leather interior and Premium Package along with the sunshades in the rear. The car handles well, not too stiff or too cushiony. Has good power, the 525i was too slow so I got the 530i. I just wish now I had seat heaters with my car.